Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Feb 16, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #1,021 of 1,057
V550 just came in. No GS-X MKII to compare to, but that will come in time. -12db selected for gain, volume is 9:30-10 o'clock for quieter listening, 12 o'clock for mid volume, 2-3 o'clock for loud listening for me. Even with the HeKv2's and EQ applied. Need to spend some time with it, and my WA22, for some comparisons. So far, the knob feel is addictive, almost as addictive as the Element MKIII v2's, but I don't think anything will ever top that one. No channel imbalance that I can hear, if my OCD wins out I might measure it at some point, but if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind lol.
I need to adjust this statement. I noticed weird sound out of my V550, and upon cleaning my XLR cables, sound is back to normal. And, as an aside, I no longer find it "blunted". It is exceptionally quiet, and I find it to be extremely neutral in presentation. I do not find extra warmth, nor any brightness to the sound. Regardless of volume pot position, and regardless of gain used (I found no change to sound other than volume position change on the pot) this amplifier to my ears is a reference grade neutral benchmark piece. Once my GSX MKII returns, I will evaluate it against the V550, but I believe I have satisfied my SS reference piece wants. This is with the headphones used in my signature, and am quite pleased with the results. No EQ or with EQ, headroom is there with not hint of distortion at varying levels of output. I cannot discern any coloration imparted by the amplifier. Indeed as I stated earlier, I believe this to be of "reference" grade for neutrality, and compliments the WA22 very nicely.

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #1,022 of 1,057
In order to follow my very slow upgrade path, the date to order the v550 comes closer. In preparation to that I again watched the review by wavetheory on yt. In his comparison to the V281, he described the latter as being more punchy or let's say dynamic than the V550.

So here is my question: is the V550 capable of letting through everything the Mojo2:poly provides with his analog output(or for example makes the sound stage wider)? For upgrading the DAC there will be years to come. Headphones is first (a planar in years/2), currently using denon D9200 and beyer DT1990pro.

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #1,023 of 1,057
No point upgrading to the V281 or V550 Pro if you are limiting yourself to the DT1990 Pro and D9200. The latter doesn't even need the power. The former doesn't have any technical adequacy to warrant such an upgrade. Now if you upgrade the Beyer to a HE1000 Stealth, then sure. In that case I'd get the V281 but that's just me and my appreciation of its unique character traits. The V550 Pro and V281 sure as hell go way beyond a Mojo 2's technical prowess, you can easily get an Yggdrasil MIB.

The V550 Pro is a more tighter, stricter approach to the house sound, the V281 has more of a romancing, unbound character.

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #1,024 of 1,057
In order to follow my very slow upgrade path, the date to order the v550 comes closer. In preparation to that I again watched the review by wavetheory on yt. In his comparison to the V281, he described the latter as being more punchy or let's say dynamic than the V550.

So here is my question: is the V550 capable of letting through everything the Mojo2:poly provides with his analog output(or for example makes the sound stage wider)? For upgrading the DAC there will be years to come. Headphones is first (a planar in years/2), currently using denon D9200 and beyer DT1990pro.
I agree with Fegefeuer.

I let go my main DAC these days, so I tried Mojo2 feeding my Niimbus US5Pro (similar animal to v550). I tried many headphones from budget ones to TOTLs. To my ears, I would say Niimbus had zero to negative input to sound quality comparing to using Mojo2 alone. Unless you upgrade your dac or want to drive Susvara or Abyss, I really see no point of adding a v550 to a mojo2.

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #1,025 of 1,057
No point upgrading to the V281 or V550 Pro if you are limiting yourself to the DT1990 Pro and D9200. The latter doesn't even need the power. The former doesn't have any technical adequacy to warrant such an upgrade. Now if you upgrade the Beyer to a HE1000 Stealth, then sure. In that case I'd get the V281 but that's just me and my appreciation of its unique character traits. The V550 Pro and V281 sure as hell go way beyond a Mojo 2's technical prowess, you can easily get an Yggdrasil MIB.

The V550 Pro is a more tighter, stricter approach to the house sound, the V281 has more of a romancing, unbound character.
Thanks for commenting/evaluating. HE1000 V2/stealth might come next/after amp.

Clearly, my headphones are limiting factors, same with current amp and very likely mojo2/poly would do the same too.
But there's one thing I have to begin upgrading with. TBH, V281 is discontinued or at least not available in Europe, and my OCD is neither use or buy used stuff or selling my own stuff. And my amp is the weakest point at the moment (yes I know Mojo2 doesn't need an amp).

And V550 does offer great functionality for my use case.
Again, thanks.

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #1,026 of 1,057
I agree with Fegefeuer.

I let go my main DAC these days, so I tried Mojo2 feeding my Niimbus US5Pro (similar animal to v550). I tried many headphones from budget ones to TOTLs. To my ears, I would say Niimbus had zero to negative input to sound quality comparing to using Mojo2 alone. Unless you upgrade your dac or want to drive Susvara or Abyss, I really see no point of adding a v550 to a mojo2.
OK, thanks, zero to negative effect on sound quality I read about that the first time in that regard (also with Niimbus/Violectric flagships).
So functionality / future upgradability would be first priority, if sound quality is not negatively affected.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #1,027 of 1,057
OK, thanks, zero to negative effect on sound quality I read about that the first time in that regard (also with Niimbus/Violectric flagships).
So functionality / future upgradability would be first priority, if sound quality is not negatively affected.
IMO, the synergy between mojo2 and niimbus was not great. At least, I prefer the direct output from Mojo2 for Clear OG, LCD5, E3, D9200 etc, YMMV.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #1,028 of 1,057
IMO, the synergy between mojo2 and niimbus was not great. At least, I prefer the direct output from Mojo2 for Clear OG, LCD5, E3, D9200 etc, YMMV.
I'm getting even more curious about this upgrade. No niImbus for me, but v550 I suppose is a decent basis for upgrading headphones or DACs. Since two weeks or so I leave away my RNHP and enjoy very much the direct output of Mojo2. But again thanks for very valuable information in your above posts.

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #1,030 of 1,057
I seriously consider this. But GS3000x and HE1000v2/stealth I might be interested in or curious about, I believe them being in the same price range. I will find a reason to do something.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #1,031 of 1,057
Get new headphones first, see how you enjoy them with the Mojo 2. Think about upgrades later.
Don't get me wrong or think I'm stubborn, but I'm not yet prepared to get new headphones.
I just didn't/cannot make up my mind which headphone I should take at all. I'm very much focused on this device, just to understand my motivation, here my specific requirements because of physical disabilities (cannot put a plug in an amp but rely on supporting/helping hands):
Hardware remote control
a stable physical link to my streamer/DAC(MoJo2/poly) in order to my streamer/DAC not being pulled over my desktop
a pre-amplifier
future upgradability to power-hungry headphones
Being transparent enough to not mask any information or capabilities my Mojo2 provides
The first prerequisites I can check up in advance, but the last one I simply only can determine, when I hear it.
Insufficient sound quality with my headphones is naturalemente a killer, but I hope it does not worsen sound quality. But a new headphone or even DAC I cannot think of yet. Since almost 7 months I'm following this thread and nothing comparable I read about anywhere. Thanks Fegefeuer so far. And last but not least: topping on the desk is not for me.

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #1,032 of 1,057
v550 us5 pro was Finalist with cfa3 for me but wa 33 EE won the turkey dinner. enjoy nimbus owners.

oh and dac wise if mojo doesn't cut it, TT works fantastic.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #1,033 of 1,057
@Melting735: sorry, I have to come back to your m2/v550 pairing: how did you handle/did you consider DMITRIY R was reminding of (Post #975,2nd paragraph) by pointing out again to lower the gain inputs in order to be able to use the volume pot at maximum (even if it's about pot switching noise only?). did you use balanced or Single ended headphone output on the V550?
EDIT:If you mind and have time, you could PM me. Otherwise, doesn't matter, others sorry for the noise.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #1,034 of 1,057
I use balanced headphones out, and I usually just try to put the volume pot to 12 o'clock, so it's easier to go up or down to adapt to all headphones or speaker amps for me. I doubt I can tell any difference between 12 o'clock or close to the max or other volumes. If there is a little, I would still sacrifice it for convenience.

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #1,035 of 1,057
Device has arrived and is in use since yesterday.
Just a question, a thought and a fact/an information, from what I remember I didn't come across these during reading the thread:
Fact: the remote control doesn't need to be pointed at the receiver on the device to address the function you desire by pressing the button on the remote.
Thougt: it seems to be possible to connect two different amplifiers to the line output (XLR/RCA) with two different amplifiers letting the amplifier work by switching on or off the desired targeted amplifier.
Question: how many hours approximately do you consider the device to be burned in?
Question#2: do you think every output and input of the amplifier does need burn-in?
Fact#2: this device is a functionality monster, even if the motto do less BUT DO it well is preserved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back