xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Feb 28, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #3,811 of 3,834
I'm not sure how Amazon works where you are at, usually we have an option to return/replace instead of refund but that isn't for everything.

Could be someone somewhere pulled a fast one and swapped a unit in the box, you never know.

Sorry again for the trouble.

Cheers!!
No worries :)

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #3,812 of 3,834
Amazon UK did not give me an option for a replacement, even though I selected "Defective Unit". They just offered me a full refund back into my card. I am Prime member.

In any case, I've managed to get the battery light flashing. I used another cable and now it is "working" as long as I am charging it. As soon as I take it off charging, it shuts down.

Anyways, I managed to listen a bit, while connected to power, it sounds nice. A bit different than my Mojo 2. But I cannot really tell, since this is a defective unit - who knows how the sound might be affected, too.

Now that the battery led started flashing, I will leave it to see if it will fully charge. The battery indicator shows almost full but the led flashes yellow, go figure. Not sure through what kind of brutal abuse this second hand unit, which I've paid a full price for, must have been through to behave like this.
Highly likely it's defective, but there is a process to recalibrate lithium batteries that might be worth a try to see if that is the problem. Different scenario, but I had a less than year old Walkman that would show full charge, then drop its 4 bars and flash within 10 minutes and turn off. You keep turning it on until it is totally depleted and won't start at all, then do a full uninterrupted charge, and hopefully it resets its memory.
I don't know about the batteries in the Gryphon, but there are Sony Walkman owners that have 10,000+ hours on their daps, with minimal loss of playback time.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #3,813 of 3,834
Highly likely it's defective, but there is a process to recalibrate lithium batteries that might be worth a try to see if that is the problem. Different scenario, but I had a less than year old Walkman that would show full charge, then drop its 4 bars and flash within 10 minutes and turn off. You keep turning it on until it is totally depleted and won't start at all, then do a full uninterrupted charge, and hopefully it resets its memory.
I don't know about the batteries in the Gryphon, but there are Sony Walkman owners that have 10,000+ hours on their daps, with minimal loss of playback time.

Thanks for the tip. I've already packed it and prepared it for return, though. It's defective for sure. At one point, it showed like it was charging (battery led, flashing), after a few minutes it stopped. As soon as I unplugged it, it turned off - low battery.

I just wanted to hear the iFi Sound, as I do not own any other of their dongles etc but it was not meant to be.

Btw, it is the first time, ever, that I receive a defecting device from Amazon UK. I've heard a lot of people saying Amazon's quality has degraded, first time ever this has happened to me. I might order it again after a few days, or maybe not, since the FiiO M23 is available for pre-order.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #3,814 of 3,834
Thanks for the tip. I've already packed it and prepared it for return, though. It's defective for sure. At one point, it showed like it was charging (battery led, flashing), after a few minutes it stopped. As soon as I unplugged it, it turned off - low battery.

I just wanted to hear the iFi Sound, as I do not own any other of their dongles etc but it was not meant to be.

Btw, it is the first time, ever, that I receive a defecting device from Amazon UK. I've heard a lot of people saying Amazon's quality has degraded, first time ever this has happened to me. I might order it again after a few days, or maybe not, since the FiiO M23 is available for pre-order.
Better for peace of mind to return.
Although I mostly use my Gryphon for TV and movies, it is a superb device that I highly recommend. Sometimes things work out another way and you might end up in audio heaven with an M23.

All the best.

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #3,815 of 3,834
Guys, quick question. I see some steps for enabling line out mode, but it won't trigger for me. What are the exact steps to enable line out mode.

Either way, is there a certain volume level for line level? I essentially want to use my Gryphon as a DAC for my powered Presonus monitors through I assume it's the line out/3.5mm out on the back.

I set my Gryphon to iematch on the 3.5mm side just to lower the output a bit, but not certain on making it true line out level, or NOT exceed line level. Volume at 90.

The above question is going back a week but after using my Gryphon via line out yesterday I wanted to respond again.

Unsurprisingly the IEMatch does nothing to the signal on the rear line out jacks.

Out of curiosity I actually plugged a very sensitive IEM into the rear 4.4mm line out jack and there is no hiss at all and the IEMatch does nothing to the voltage/volume.

Mar 15, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #3,817 of 3,834
I noticed that if I put IEMatch on 3.5 also the 4.4 headphone out will sound at a lower volume, even though not as low as when I put it on 4.4. So now I am wondering how many decibels I am lowering in each headphones out at every IEMatch selection, thank you :)

Not certain about the 3.5mm but based on comparison with the separate IEMatch dongle and the specs for that I am pretty sure the 4.4mm setting out of the 4.4mm port on the Gryphon has 12db of attenuation.

I am pretty sure you could use that as a reasonable guide for your own comparisons. Not sure the actual numbers matter, just adjust the volume to suit.

My experience indicates that the apparent attenuation out of each headphone port with each setting will differ depending on the IEM being used. I assume it is due to the relationship between the change of output impedance at each setting versus the variance in effect that has on the attenuation at different frequencies from the IEM.

A side not, many criticise the IEMatch for messing with the sound. My Campfire Solaris which seem to be picky in respect of output impedance sound better to my taste with the 4.4mm IEMatch setting out of the 4.4mm headphone out.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #3,818 of 3,834
Not certain about the 3.5mm but based on comparison with the separate IEMatch dongle and the specs for that I am pretty sure the 4.4mm setting out of the 4.4mm port on the Gryphon has 12db of attenuation.

I am pretty sure you could use that as a reasonable guide for your own comparisons. Not sure the actual numbers matter, just adjust the volume to suit.

My experience indicates that the apparent attenuation out of each headphone port with each setting will differ depending on the IEM being used. I assume it is due to the relationship between the change of output impedance at each setting versus the variance in effect that has on the attenuation at different frequencies from the IEM.

A side not, many criticise the IEMatch for messing with the sound. My Campfire Solaris which seem to be picky in respect of output impedance sound better to my taste with the 4.4mm IEMatch setting out of the 4.4mm headphone out.
Yes the attenuation varies with the IEM, I am pretty sure of that. I suppose that when we talk of “db of attenuation” we are referring at a standard to make ourselves comprehensible.. So I suppose that when I put my IEMatch to 3.5 I get half of the attenuation on 4.4, that makes it 6 db (?). Thank you, I was on iFi site with the headphone power calculator (very nice tool btw) and I was looking at power in different configurations, but couldn’t understand how much IEMatch on Gryphon impacted. Now I do, thank you :D

I suppose it behaves this way because if I put IEMatch on 3.5 it’s going to attenuate the signal of the 3.5 which is also used in the balanced? I am fascinated about these things :D

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #3,819 of 3,834
……. the signal of the 3.5 which is also used in the balanced ….

In respect of that last bit.

I am pretty certain the 3.5mm output is directly using the left and right channel positive signals from two of the four amplifiers in the balanced circuit with them returning to a common ground to create the single ended circuit.

The 4.4mm balanced circuit obviously uses the positive and negative amplifiers of both channels with no ground.

As such the 3.5mm and 4.4mm are intrinsically linked and will share similar traits, they are not entirely independent of each other.

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #3,822 of 3,834
Ooh, once I was crazy about Gryphon, but had to sell it because of the noise, and the built-in iematch badly damaged the sound, imho
Never had these issues with several IEMs🤔

Which IEM did you use?

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #3,823 of 3,834
I honestly find it to be very silent even with IEMs, never heard background noise. I like iFi’s design that with this trick ensures to drive even the most sensitive IEM without hiss :) still I find it to be very well built, a real quality product. I believe right now as we are speaking it probably is the best in this form factor. Never had the need for IEMatch, still, when I tried it it all sounded ok to me. The only thing I don’t like is the plastic knob, would’ve preferred it metallic :)
Ooh, once I was crazy about Gryphon, but had to sell it because of the noise, and the built-in iematch badly damaged the sound, imho

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #3,824 of 3,834

The impact on the sound is entirely dependent on the IEM and its frequency response in respect of the change in output impedance associated with IEMatch.

I think it is easy to overstate any effect on sound due to the immediate volume reduction when turning IEMatch on, if you just turn it on while playing music it immediately sounds flat with any IEM due only to the drop in volume, even on IEM where the impedance change has no affect at all like a planar.

Assuming that I stop the music, turn on IEMatch and adjust the volume to match as best I can, on several of my small collection of IEM it makes no difference other then removing the noise floor hiss on the more sensitive sets. One set that is a 1DD + 4BA hybrid the IEMatch boots the bass just a touch which I am not fond of so I don't use the IEMatch and the noise floor hiss is very minor anyway. As I said above, on my Campfire Solaris the IEMatch cuts the bass which I prefer so I use the IEMatch with them.

Mar 16, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #3,825 of 3,834
I honestly find it to be very silent even with IEMs, never heard background noise. I like iFi’s design that with this trick ensures to drive even the most sensitive IEM without hiss :) still I find it to be very well built, a real quality product. I believe right now as we are speaking it probably is the best in this form factor. Never had the need for IEMatch, still, when I tried it it all sounded ok to me. The only thing I don’t like is the plastic knob, would’ve preferred it metallic :)

Depends on the sensitivity of the IEM.

My most sensitive set definitely have hiss but it isn't awful and the affect of the IEMatch actually makes that set sound better so all good.

With less sensitive set like the S12 planars and IE600 for example there is no audible hiss at all so no need for IEMatch.

I previously didn't like IEMatch until I had a set that really warranted its use. Since then I have messed with it a lot more and experimented to properly assess its affect and am now more of a fan. If you don't need it to get rid of noise floor hiss then don't use it. If you need it use it. If it upsets your IEM as it will do with some then don't use it. If it makes them sound better which it will do with some then obviously use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back