ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Oct 31, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #2,356 of 2,545
Random question here, but anyone w experience with more new production EL84s? Was looking at the Gold Lion or newest Psvane Art series specifically, but now wondering if anyone has had good experiences with any current EL84 tubes being produced. I've pretty much done nothing but NOS with this amp, but every once in a while I wonder how some of the newer production stuff sounds.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #2,357 of 2,545
I asked Justin Weber about a good tube combo and he suggested the Sovtek EL84M. Has to be the M, he said, combined with a 5755 tube, with adapter. 5755 is not a drop in replacement.

He said you have to put 100+ hours on them and you'll be rewarded with excellent sound. He wasn't wrong.

They aren't as cheap as they were pre-pandemic when I met him at a meet.

Nov 1, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #2,358 of 2,545
I asked Justin Weber about a good tube combo and he suggested the Sovtek EL84M. Has to be the M, he said, combined with a 5755 tube, with adapter. 5755 is not a drop in replacement.

He said you have to put 100+ hours on them and you'll be rewarded with excellent sound. He wasn't wrong.

They aren't as cheap as they were pre-pandemic when I met him at a meet.

Cool, and interesting he recommended that specific combo and particularly, that input tube, since it's not in the 12A-7 family. Are you running this setup? If so i'm curious about that input tube.

I also wonder if those Sovteks sound anything like the older Russian 6P14P tubes, if you have any experience with those... I've owned a couple pairs of these in the past
https://www.vivatubes.com/nos-soviet-era-military-spec-6p14p-ev-7189-6bq5-el84-e84l-vacuum-tube/

Nov 2, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #2,359 of 2,545
I’ve tried the Sovtek M and 5755 combo from way back in this thread when Justin originally recommended it. I’ve also since tried various iterations of the 6p14p family.

The new production Sovteks are perfectly fine, nothing weird sounding about them. My favourite were the Tube Store’s 7189, which are cleaned-up 80s 6p14p-EV. Same tube as what’s in the link above I’m guessing. Such texture and midrange detail on those! Also tried earlier standard 6p14p, from the 70’s, with flying saucer getters. They are nice, they have a bit more treble detail.

Unfortunately I remember not really liking the 5755. It is very different sounding then any other tube; very dry sounding, it just didn’t sound realistic to my ears. I was wowed at first, because my stupid brain always thinks new and different is better, but I realized it wasn’t for me. Maybe I didn’t give it 100 hours. The 70’s Raytheon variant was super cheap back then too.

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #2,360 of 2,545
I’ve tried the Sovtek M and 5755 combo from way back in this thread when Justin originally recommended it. I’ve also since tried various iterations of the 6p14p family.

The new production Sovteks are perfectly fine, nothing weird sounding about them. My favourite were the Tube Store’s 7189, which are cleaned-up 80s 6p14p-EV. Same tube as what’s in the link above I’m guessing. Such texture and midrange detail on those! Also tried earlier standard 6p14p, from the 70’s, with flying saucer getters. They are nice, they have a bit more treble detail.

Unfortunately I remember not really liking the 5755. It is very different sounding then any other tube; very dry sounding, it just didn’t sound realistic to my ears. I was wowed at first, because my stupid brain always thinks new and different is better, but I realized it wasn’t for me. Maybe I didn’t give it 100 hours. The 70’s Raytheon variant was super cheap back then too.
Cool. Appreciate the feedback. No experience with the Sovteks but definitely some with the Russian 6P14P variants and I agree they were a solid performer.

Nov 13, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #2,361 of 2,545
Thanks for that info - been debating between that or an Atrium Closed.

I found a great deal on one but not familiar on the differences of the Pendant over the years. Is the wood case a limited edition - does it sound sonically different than the Pendant with the stock black case?

Basically is there any difference sonically between this one and this one?
1697396091638.png1697396223173.png
Just a little more info here… the late model Pendant just before the SE also had 8/100 ohm taps. Mine did. Also, the SE dropped the second switchable input. Another difference is the volume control. Pre-SE had an Alps pot. The SE has a stepped attenuator. Personally, I preferred the Alps pot. I like the finer adjustments with the pot vs the jumps with the attenuator. The stepped attenuator is supposed to have better channel matching but I never had a problem with the pot. Mute point for me now, I use a pre-amp. Oh and my late model Pendant wasn’t noisy at all. Both need a lot of break in time to really quiet down. I think some people that complained about noise never really broke in the amp. My $.02.

Nov 13, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #2,362 of 2,545
Finally getting back from a long break - what do you guys think is a nice pairing for the Pendant from the ZMF lineup at about $2-2.5k? Looking for something that tilts warm and detailed (e.g. HEK V1/V3, LCD2/4, etc.)
The AO is warmer than the VO but a touch less detailed. The AC is warm like the AO but does have the detail. Most detail from dynamic drivers is VO. I’m listening to mine right now as a matter of fact. I would not call them warm, but also wouldn’t say they are bright. I think the VO is outstanding with the Pendant and can be found very reasonably priced used. Old news they are. I rotate through my AO, AC and VO. Honestly, you can’t go wrong with any one of the three.

Nov 13, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #2,363 of 2,545
The AO is warmer than the VO but a touch less detailed. The AC is warm like the AO but does have the detail. Most detail from dynamic drivers is VO. I’m listening to mine right now as a matter of fact. I would not call them warm, but also wouldn’t say they are bright. I think the VO is outstanding with the Pendant and can be found very reasonably priced used. Old news they are. I rotate through my AO, AC and VO. Honestly, you can’t go wrong with any one of the three.
To add a little more, the VO has the widest stage if that matters to you. The Atriums are are a little more closed in and intimate sounding than the VO.

Nov 13, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #2,364 of 2,545
To add a little more, the VO has the widest stage if that matters to you. The Atriums are are a little more closed in and intimate sounding than the VO.
Completely opposite for me. Even the Atrium Closed sounds as wide the VO!

Nov 14, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #2,365 of 2,545
I have a new Brimar coming this week. A 6057. Looking forward to it. I have liked every Brimar I’ve tried and absolutely love the CV4035.

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #2,366 of 2,545
I have a new Brimar coming this week. A 6057. Looking forward to it. I have liked every Brimar I’ve tried and absolutely love the CV4035.
Great choice! I’m a big fan of the 6060, the 12at7 version. Such great precision, yet full mids, and great sub-bass. Let us know what you think when you get it.

Nov 14, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #2,367 of 2,545
Great choice! I’m a big fan of the 6060, the 12at7 version. Such great precision, yet full mids, and great sub-bass. Let us know what you think when you get it.
Of course I will! Maybe a 6060 is in the future....

Nov 14, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #2,368 of 2,545
The 6057T is a great tube. In my Woo WA2 it is really excellent, especially with power tubes that emphasize clarity. Enjoy!

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #2,369 of 2,545
The 6057T is a great tube. In my Woo WA2 it is really excellent, especially with power tubes that emphasize clarity. Enjoy!
I would say the Valvo’s do that

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #2,370 of 2,545

Users who are viewing this thread

Back