ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Nov 30, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #2,386 of 2,487
@incredulousity told me about them (Do they take the same adapter as the 6J5 ? ) but I couldn't find any after a bit of a search.
Well they don’t beat the pants off G73r, but they are as good, and completely different. They do beat the Melz by a fair bit. When you get to the upper tier of tubes, it’s mostly a matter of flavor preference!

Nov 30, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #2,387 of 2,487
@incredulousity told me about them (Do they take the same adapter as the 6J5 ? ) but I couldn't find any after a bit of a search.
Same adapter as the 6J5, these are an earlier version but otherwise compatible.

Nov 30, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #2,388 of 2,487
Good luck finding some 6S5S, as I bought them all. :grin: I only let the cat out, once I have secured a good stash. :wink: They are incredible and the best tubes I have ever heard. They have it all and then some.

20231109_053433.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #2,389 of 2,487
Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with them. I'd take the Melz any day of the week. It's possible I got a bad set, but to me they just lacked a soul...IMO, YMMV, etc.
Your set must be bad, as mine have soul in spades. They literally took my amp to a level no other tubes have done before. They have slam and grip for days, mids so sweet, euphonic and lifelike it's nuts, and highs that sparkle and soar but never get harsh. I hear more nuances and micro detail than I have ever heard before. The staging is incrediblly holographic and open as well. There is also some magic that words can't describe. . .

There are several versions as well. Late 40's, 50's, and 60's. Also, there were 2 different factories (Tantal and Reflektor) that were made in.

20231130_055928.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #2,391 of 2,487
For those that have not followed @Wes S, he will rediscover or unearth an old and exciting tube and then will keep it under wraps until he has a serious stash:
4 basic, 4 backup, 4 back up for the back up and then in many vintages and flavors. His is NOT kidding when he says he 'bough them all!' :slight_frown:
He missed one pair, which is how I ended up with mine 😉

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #2,392 of 2,487
That pair were, no doubt, one of the so-so versions or Wes would have them in his vault!

I am content with the Siemens C3G and Tele G73-R with Elrogs in the Envy to the point that I just swap those 2 and not many others.

I need to sell off so many tubes that just sit in storage containers.............Wes does sell off his old favorites when he finds the next gem.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #2,393 of 2,487
For those that have not followed @Wes S, he will rediscover or unearth an old and exciting tube and then will keep it under wraps until he has a serious stash:
4 basic, 4 backup, 4 back up for the back up and then in many vintages and flavors. His is NOT kidding when he says he 'bough them all!' :slight_frown:
LOL! You definitely know how I do it.:wink:

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #2,394 of 2,487
He missed one pair, which is how I ended up with mine 😉
I let you have that one, and I am glad another one of my tube rolling buddies got some. :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #2,395 of 2,487
That pair were, no doubt, one of the so-so versions or Wes would have them in his vault!
Definitely no so so

When I bought them @Wes S asked me how I found them. (Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile)

He has pretty much cornered the market on the rest of them by now however

Nov 30, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #2,397 of 2,487
That boy gets a tube in his sights and 'vacuums' up all that are available...........WORLDWIDE!
There is no hiding cause Wes will find them........
If he was truly evil guy, he would then sell them at a huge markup over his cost. :rolling_eyes:

I have it on good authority he’s learning Mandarin for his next big score

Nov 30, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #2,399 of 2,487
I have it on good authority he’s learning Mandarin for his next big score
LOL! I wish, because that dealer is sitting on a gold mine. :wink:

Dec 29, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #2,400 of 2,487
Wassup Pendant owners! This beauty (Osram U709) popped up for sale on eBay, and, since I already own one, I thought I'd spread the news in case anyone else was interested. Price is a little high, but far less than the $700 our friend in Vietnam is charging for his collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back