ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Dec 29, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #2,401 of 2,487
Wassup Pendant owners! This beauty (Osram U709) popped up for sale on eBay, and, since I already own one, I thought I'd spread the news in case anyone else was interested. Price is a little high, but far less than the $700 our friend in Vietnam is charging for his collection.
That’s actually not a bad price. Any Pendant owner who doesn’t already own this grail should jump on it. They don’t come up often

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #2,403 of 2,487
The seller ("tubetroniks") is a good guy too, I've bought a bunch of stuff from him.
Definitely, one of the better dealers that has been around forever, and still has 100% feedback. You really can't go wrong with that deal, as it's as good as it gets.

Jan 4, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #2,404 of 2,487
I haven't been so excited about a pair of power tubes in a while. I've got the earliest version of the Phillips Miniwatt EL84's coming in soon from Coratia. 1953/4, with rXp codes and foil disk getters from Sittard, Holland.

I'm finding my Valvo's my favorite 90% of the time, but every once in a while they excite the treble just a tad too much for my liking, so I switch over to the Mullard solid foil getter EL84's, and end up finding them too warm and lush, and switching back. Hopefully these Phillips will meet somewhere in the middle.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #2,405 of 2,487
I haven't been so excited about a pair of power tubes in a while. I've got the earliest version of the Phillips Miniwatt EL84's coming in soon from Coratia. 1953/4, with rXp codes and foil disk getters from Sittard, Holland.

I'm finding my Valvo's my favorite 90% of the time, but every once in a while they excite the treble just a tad too much for my liking, so I switch over to the Mullard solid foil getter EL84's, and end up finding them too warm and lush, and switching back. Hopefully these Phillips will meet somewhere in the middle.
You sir are in for a treat. They are incredible. Congratulations Aaron as this is the second pair I’ve heard about in the wild. I believe @4LoveOfSound is listening to my old pair right now actually (with the Telefunken Grass Instruments Selected Tube Yellow Tip) 😉

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #2,406 of 2,487

Exciting! Those sound like a score. I've always been intrigued with Philips Miniwatt but really know nothing about them. Assumed they couldn't be horrible, but I'm looking forward to your impressions as it might sway me into getting a pair.

I'm with you, I'm Valvo just about all the time. Absolutely love the house sound in my rig. I have a few pairs I cycle through, each different years (earliest 1954 - 1958) and each sound different enough to stand on their own. All great though!

Let us know what you think of the P/Ms when you get them. Did you get them from Merry Tubes? He's always been great for me.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #2,407 of 2,487
You sir are in for a treat. They are incredible. Congratulations Aaron as this is the second pair I’ve heard about in the wild. I believe @4LoveOfSound is listening to my old pair right now actually (with the Telefunken Grass Instruments Selected Tube Yellow Tip) 😉
I wish they were welded plates like yours (and @4LoveOfSound's) ! These just have the solid disc getter, and three holes in the plates instead of one. Haven't actually seen them mentioned anywhere, seem to be a very limited run.
Let us know what you think of the P/Ms when you get them. Did you get them from Merry Tubes? He's always been great for me.
I did indeed! Love Alen. He sent me the complete measurements and everything. I'll be sure to post impressions when I get them.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #2,408 of 2,487
I wish they were welded plates like yours (and @4LoveOfSound's) ! These just have the solid disc getter, and three holes in the plates instead of one. Haven't actually seen them mentioned anywhere, seem to be a very limited run.

I did indeed! Love Alen. He sent me the complete measurements and everything. I'll be sure to post impressions when I get them.
I guess I should have looked back at tube classics first.

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo EL84/EL84.htm

rXA were the first Valvo Sittard’s which I owned. They were welded plates and foil getters. I got excited for you when you said Sittard

That being said, are you sure about the date code? rXP are the ellipticals out of Hamburg, I thought you already had those?

Date codes for Phillips MW and Valvo should be identical AFAIK

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #2,409 of 2,487
I guess I should have looked back at tube classics first.

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo EL84/EL84.htm

rXA were the first Valvo Sittard’s which I owned. They were welded plates and foil getters. I got excited for you when you said Sittard

That being said, are you sure about the date code? rXP are the ellipticals out of Hamburg, I thought you already had those?

Date codes for Phillips MW and Valvo should be identical AFAIK
Yeah I can’t find these anywhere on tube classics. They apparently have rXp +H codes, the “+” denoting the Sittard factory I believe.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #2,410 of 2,487
Yeah I can’t find these anywhere on tube classics. They apparently have rXp +H codes, the “+” denoting the Sittard factory I believe.
Wow. Very interesting indeed. Can’t wait to hear your impressions.

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #2,411 of 2,487
The early '50's Phillips foil getters are in! So far, impressions are excellent. Tonally, they remind me the most of my late '50's Amperex D getters, but with extra soundstage (definitely the biggest soundstage from a power tube I've heard this far), separation and refinement. Still burning in, but they really rock. Different presentation from both my Mullards (not as rolled off and without quite the bass punch those have) and Valvos (slightly softer, with more bass, but just as much, if not more, textural detail). Glad to have found a one-of-a-kind pair like this to add to the collection!
IMG_8363.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #2,412 of 2,487
Another tube plug here. This is the first time I've seen another one of these soil foil getter Mullard pairs in the wild. They're definitely on the warmer side, but some of the most addicting bass you'll ever hear, and some seriously smooth midrange.

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #2,413 of 2,487
Hey everyone - while I think my next pair of cans is going to be the ZMF Bokeh’s specifically because they’re lower impedance which the Pendant is catered to - has anyone paired the Focal Clear OGs to this amp? I haven’t heard much discussion of other headphones other than ZMFs with it. I would have liked to have tried my LCD 4s on it but they were the higher 200 ohm version.

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #2,414 of 2,487
Hey everyone - while I think my next pair of cans is going to be the ZMF Bokeh’s specifically because they’re lower impedance which the Pendant is catered to - has anyone paired the Focal Clear OGs to this amp? I haven’t heard much discussion of other headphones other than ZMFs with it. I would have liked to have tried my LCD 4s on it but they were the higher 200 ohm version.
I had the Clears with my Pendant once upon a time. I wasn’t so much of a fan of the Clears in the end, so take my opinion with a grain of salt; but I thought the synergy was a little off. Like combining two devices with sharp precise impactful signatures cancelled each other out. The Clears ended up a little hazy and flat sounding. I preferred them on the Ragnarok I also had at the time, the ONLY time I’ve preferred solid state in any situation. When I sold that amp I sold the Clears.

The LCD-4 on the other hand is an AMAZING pairing. The Pendant really wakes up the slightly soft impact of the 4. Sounds great on either hi-z or low-z.

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #2,415 of 2,487
I use my DCA Expanse with my Pendant. Sounds great. I use the 8 ohm tap. Input tube is important. I prefer the higher gain of a 12ax7 with the expanse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back