ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Aug 13, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #61 of 2,619
12ax7 at 100% transport volume is fairly loud at like 7 o'clock on my aeolus. Do you have other tubes to test? I am wonder if you tubes are failing? Are your cables all the way in?

I do, have a matched pair of NOS EL84s, a NOS rectifier and a whole load of NOS 12-series and related. However, I haven't even gotten close to breaking-in the Pendant yet and was hoping to run the stock tubes for a while first before rolling in.

The interesting thing is...other than me having to crank up the volume pot, no perceivable issues. No channel imbalance, very low noise floor, no funky sounds; just a great, powerful tube amp sound. With interconnect defects (I checked and made sure mine were plugged in tight), I'd expect some sort of imbalance or funk, but none of that.

Does your input/preamp tube emit a strong glow like the output tubes do? My 12ax7 barely glows and doesn't get very hot.

Aug 13, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #62 of 2,619
I do, have a matched pair of NOS EL84s, a NOS rectifier and a whole load of NOS 12-series and related. However, I haven't even gotten close to breaking-in the Pendant yet and was hoping to run the stock tubes for a while first before rolling in.

The interesting thing is...other than me having to crank up the volume pot, no perceivable issues. No channel imbalance, very low noise floor, no funky sounds; just a great, powerful tube amp sound. With interconnect defects (I checked and made sure mine were plugged in tight), I'd expect some sort of imbalance or funk, but none of that.

Does your input/preamp tube emit a strong glow like the output tubes do? My 12ax7 barely glows and doesn't get very hot.
I havent touched but it seems less hot than the rest? And the glow depends on the tube. Some tubes dont even glow.

Aug 13, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #63 of 2,619
I'm never past 9 on mine, usually well below.

Aug 13, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #64 of 2,619
Thanks for all the feedback, everybody. Really appreciate it. The good news is...the amp sounds great. Pairs veryyyy well with the Atticus and Auteur and I'm having no noise issues at all on the low-z and only very feint increase in noise floor on the high-z.

I'll continue to play around, roll tubes in, etc.

Thanks!

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #65 of 2,619
Thanks for all the feedback, everybody. Really appreciate it. The good news is...the amp sounds great. Pairs veryyyy well with the Atticus and Auteur and I'm having no noise issues at all on the low-z and only very feint increase in noise floor on the high-z.

I'll continue to play around, roll tubes in, etc.

Thanks!
Did u see zach's post asking if you have a different knob?

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #66 of 2,619
Did u see zach's post asking if you have a different knob?

I didn't notice it but now I see it, thanks for pointing it out!

My volume knob has the wonderfully satisfying "clicks" of 23-steps of attentuation, so it indeed is a stepped attenuator. I didn't realize that there was so much extra "play" on the knob with stepped attenuators. This seems to be the explanation then.

Most Pendants are standard Alps potentiometers?

Thanks Zach for chiming in, thank you all for the help, appreciate it! Going to continue loving the Pendant, worry-free haha.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #68 of 2,619
This is unacceptable! Where are my clicks!!!!!

But yes mine is just a smooth glide, no clicks.

Send it back! Pay a few hundred extra buckaroos for a DACT, and enjoy the clicksssss :beyersmile:

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #69 of 2,619

My volume knob has the wonderfully satisfying "clicks" of 23-steps of attentuation, so it indeed is a stepped attenuator. I didn't realize that there was so much extra "play" on the knob with stepped attenuators. This seems to be the explanation then.

Thanks Zach for chiming in, thank you all for the help, appreciate it! Going to continue loving the Pendant, worry-free haha.

Wasn't aware stepped attenuator is an option.

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #70 of 2,619

Wasn't aware stepped attenuator is an option.

We tried the stepped attenuator out on a few units because someone requested it. We will be adding that as standard along with a wooden volume knob (that can be retrofit) to the Pendant which will come along with a little bit of a price increase to the amp starting next year (Jan 1). Your unit with the stepped attenuator was likely one of the two demo units we used to test it out with - the real improvement of the stepped attenuator is that slower volume gradation where you can use the full bandwidth all the way up without it getting too loud until the very top of the knob. Sonically the sound is the same.

The amp will still be discounted for ZMF owners and when bought in bundles even with the price increase though. More details as we get closer to that. The general bones of the amp are not changing.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 14, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #71 of 2,619
Great insignt, Zach, appreciate it.

For my money, the stepped attenuator is a worthy expenditure. But, it's not for everyone, I feel, as well. I like them a lot. This one, in particular, gives more bandwidth on the knob than I've ever had, which is why I was surprised!

The ALPS pots have a plus to them, though, as well, much more fine volume control, as far as "smoothly" increasing volume. With a potentiometer, you can really dial-in your desired volume. With 23-steps of attenuation, you will find times that you're stuck picking between two volumes, with neither being perfect. The trade is that low volumes seem to be pretty consistent and uniform with the channels, and you get more bandwidth on the knob.

I am willing to pay an extra $200 or so for the stepped attenuator, although I'd prefer 41-stepped options the 23-stepped one is good to me, because I like the feel of them and that consistency across the whole knob range over potentiometers.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #72 of 2,619
Hello all, this is my first post here on head fi. Usually just reading everything. But this thread had changed my mind as I have been enjoying my zmf pendant with eikon. As more people have stated, I also have a slight hum to content with. Wanted to try the tightening of the screws option, but non of my tools fit. I have one that fits the smaller screws, but not the larger ones on the Transformers and on the corners of the chassis.
Can anybody tell me the size of the screws? Afraid this will this be a eu vs usa size issue.

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #73 of 2,619
I have a set of what are known as “Allen keys” (not sure if that is a US term or if it is universal) which I bought years ago for a few dollars in the local hardware store. There was a fit for all of the screws in that little kit. Realize this is a poor response and would think that you will get a proper answer from Zack or the ampandsound guys as to the exact size.
The hum on my unit went away based on burn in and going from a 12ax7 to a 12au7 I think. Tightening the screws down may have been a contributing factor. How many hours have you got on your amp so far?
Happy listening and welcome aboard.

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #74 of 2,619
Thank you for the response.
We have something similar in the EU, but i see that there is an imperial (inch) version and an mertric (mm) version. Amazon has a set which contains both versions which ill most likely buy. The hum is mostly on the right side, and when i push down on the transformer on the right the hum is more universially distributed across the soundstage.

I have been using the pendant for about a year, which constitutes about 500 hours. Been using different tubes and the hum stays the same. But no hum when music is playing so its not a breaking point. Been really enjoying a ecc82 amperex the last couple of months.

Aug 16, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #75 of 2,619
alright, after a bajillion tubes, below is my current favorite setup.

Mullard cv4003
U709 / 6CA4 / EZ81 Mullard 1950s square getter
6BQ5/EL84 Mullard 1950s square getter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back