Topping A90
Jan 24, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #1,036 of 1,442
Don't know if anyone posted this, but I was looking around at potentially buying the A90 and found this fun comparison video between the A90 (which I've never heard) and the Phonitor XE (which I own) and the TT2 (which I've only heard). Obviously it's not a scientific or tightly controlled comparison, but it's raw and interesting to see how well an amp of the A90's status (measurements/price) compare against more expensive and boutique products. And, this is obviously the type of audiophile content I expect to see when I log onto YouTube!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #1,038 of 1,442
Review of the Topping A90

20210123_120716.jpg
Writing a review of the Topping A90 turned out to be more difficult than it seemed. After going through the proven path of changing one headphone amp to another with the remaining components unchanged, it seemed that such a comparison did not fully reveal the capabilities of the A90. I had to listen to different headphones with the same DAC-Topping D90 (there will be a separate review of D90 soon), as well as other integrated devices (DACs with a built-in amplifier).

About the need to warm up. The first, and the second - after many days of listening - impressions were wrong. The brightness in high frequency and the blurring of the instruments ' localization completely disappeared only after two weeks of daily intensive use of the A90. And it happened all of a sudden.

In general, the Topping A90 is an excellent all-in-one amplifier that is suitable for a wide range of headphones. Is the Topping A90 the best possible amp for any headphones? Obviously, there are equal and possibly better combinations. The Topping A 90 provides an honest and uncompromising audio signal transmission, so that you can fully hear the features of the recording and headphones.

Certain combinations of components of the Hi-Fi path give the sound a magic, after which you do not want to analyze it, but just want to listen. The Topping A90 turned out to be one of the amplifiers with which that became possible.

The album Feral Roots by Rival Sons is full of dynamic guitar riffs and seismic percussion, against which the vocals of Jay Buchanan can be lost. Transmitted by the Topping A90 and Fostex TH900, all instruments and sounds become very clearly distinguishable. The speed and weight of the drums in this combination is amazing. Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear DE and Grado PS 1000 have no less volume margin (9:30 on the volume control is almost unbearable) and maybe a little more defined bass, but in general, the A90 and TH900 are not inferior to the combination of Solo and PS 1000. Credit for the performance of blues - rock.

The vocals of Robert Ritchie (Kid Rock) on his rock - rap - metal album Devil Without A Cause seem a little distant, but not at all blurred against the background of the harmonious melody of clearly separated instruments that other, less talented, than A90 amplifiers can add up to a cacophony. Solo makes the bottoms even more seismic, while having a fantastic speed. Laconic Night Blues Mini and Sennheiser HD 600 give the Bawitdaba track from this album overall power, but the guitar is slightly inferior to the A90 and Solo in clarity.

In the famous song Killing Me Softly With This Song (Roberta Flack, album The Very Best Of...), A90 accurately conveys the entire atmosphere of the studio, the precise arrangement of the instruments, the singer and her backing vocals, the artifacts of recording in quiet passages. The overtones of the voices, the soft sounds of the brushes and the triangle are clearly discernible against the background of a mixture of energetic drums and soft keyboards. The width, depth, and even height of the stage are excellent. Solo is not inferior in any way, perhaps, slightly emphasizing the details of the drums and the afterglow in the highest octave. NBM highlights Roberta's voice and drums a little more clearly, but slightly smears all the other instruments. The whole album is listened to through the A90 with the same pleasure as through the other two amplifiers.

The album Aerial of Kate Bush is recorded more quietly than the most of modern CDs (its rip was listened to, see technical details), which forces you to increase the volume of the A90 to 10 hours, but at a low gain (medium and high are also available). The recording King Of The Mountain via the A90 sounds technically flawless. In comparison, Valve NBM adds its magic through the transfer of electronic instruments’ overtones and the overall fluidity of the sound.

A good test of the Hi-Fi path speed is the track Hold In Baby from the album The Silvertone Years by J. J. Cale. The A90 passes the guitar and drums with a proper tempo and adequately slurred J. J. lead guitar in the middle of the song. This is one of the few pieces of music where the speed of the Solo or, possibly, accompanying PS1000 beats the A90 along with the TH900.

Another interesting work in the audiophile sense is the song Remember by the band Free from the album Fire And Water. Throughout the song, the periodic beat of the drum from left to right literally "punches the brain" in some combinations of headphones and amplifiers. The A90 makes this feel, but a fraction not to the same extent as the Solo and, especially, the NMB.

Topping the A90 and other headphones. The advantage of the A 90 is its versatility. The amplifier will work with both low- (TH900, PS 1000) and high-resistance (HD600) headphones of different sensitivity, dynamic (Sony MDR-Z1R) and planar (Hifiman HE560, Audeze LCD-XC). The Sony expands the stage, making the sound more balanced compared to Fostex. Audeze with a slightly more compact stage will provide an absolute tonal accuracy. It should be noted that the A 90 turned out to be the best of all available amplifiers for the HE560 (the sensitivity of which 90 dB is the lowest of all headphones in this review, see technical details). For most recordings, the volume at 10-12 hours and the middle gain is sufficient. And there is still high!

Topping A90 - the best of the best? A90 + D90? The Sony TA-ZH1ES with the pairing MDR-Z1R or Audeze’s LCD-X sound more soulful than the two Topping ones. The 1948 mono recording of The National Emblem (Stereophile magazine's CD1 test disc) is transmitted deeper through the Sony. High-quality modern stereo recordings are also heard a little more mature.

The Solo - PS 1000 and NBM - HD 600 pairs have their own attractive sides, but only in these combinations. Pair the amps with other headphones, and you will lose to A90. The PS1000's high-frequency peak can make listening to them tedious even with neutral partners. Solo makes up for this peak in an amazing way, leaving unsurpassed resolution, speed, perfectly articulated bass and providing soulfulness where it is present. However, the price of the Solo is twice the price of the A90. The Russian audience can pay attention to the surprisingly musical and at the same time powerful combination of the valve NBM ($300) and HD 600. The resolution of the Russian-German pair is only slightly inferior to the A90 with more expensive headphones, compensating for this with a well-adjusted tone, even frequency balance, excellent voice transmission and a huge power reserve (10 hours on the volume control is hard to bear). A great entry into the world of Hi-Fi on a limited budget!

Technical details

Main setup (listened options are given in parentheses):

Synology DS 216 II+ with Logitech Media Server as NAS wired to

Allo DigiOne Signature with piCorePlayer (Yamaha NP-S2000) - sources

Topping D90 (Chord 2 Qute, Benchmark DAC 1 USB) - DACs

Tapping A 90 (Benchmark DAC1 USB, Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear, Laconic Night Blues Mini, Sony TA-A1ES) - headphone amplifiers

Fostex TH900 (Hifiman HE 560, Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS1000, Sony MDR-1R, Audeze LCD-XC) - headphones

Noname Chinese cable (Chord of Clearway) - digital

Chord Anthem XLR (van den Hul the Second RCA) - interconnect

Wireworld Stratus 7, Noname Chinese cable - Power cables

The Russ Andrews x2 Block with Silencer – power filter

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,040 of 1,442
In the A90 - D90 pair, all listening was via balanced, while all other amps were connected to D90 via unbalanced. Changing A-D to unbalanced forces using high gain (@ 11-12 with HE560) and very slightly distorts sound at max volume. Via unbalanced, the sound becomes a bit less refined. No noise, yet.

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #1,041 of 1,442
Talk me out of buying the A90. Or not!

I'm in the market for a fully-balanced solid state headphone amp. I've got the Loxjie P20 right now, and I like it (I've upgraded the tubes and power supply and put in socket savers, just for context), but now I'm interested in something that's solid state with much more power.

Of course, like everyone, I want the best bang for the buck without going too crazy on the price. The A90 is pricey (for me) at $500, but if it's the best thing going in that price range and under, then I can live with that. It seems to me that the main competition right now in this specific market segment is the SMSL SP400 and the Schiit Jotunheim 2. The SP400 looks like that has gain limiting issues (and an annoying volume control), and also considering that it's priced higher than the A90, I don't think it's what I want. I'm not sure yet about the Jotunheim 2. If there's something else at close to the same price as the A90, please let me know. But if you think that the A90 is the way to go, please let me know that, too!

Please note that I want a fully-balanced amp, so ones like the Monolith THX AAA 887 or the Massdrop THX AAA 789 might be great, but they're not what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help here!

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #1,042 of 1,442

I'm in the market for a fully-balanced solid state headphone amp. I've got the Loxjie P20 right now, and I like it (I've upgraded the tubes and power supply and put in socket savers, just for context), but now I'm interested in something that's solid state with much more power.

Of course, like everyone, I want the best bang for the buck without going too crazy on the price. The A90 is pricey (for me) at $500, but if it's the best thing going in that price range and under, then I can live with that. It seems to me that the main competition right now in this specific market segment is the SMSL SP400 and the Schiit Jotunheim 2. The SP400 looks like that has gain limiting issues (and an annoying volume control), and also considering that it's priced higher than the A90, I don't think it's what I want. I'm not sure yet about the Jotunheim 2. If there's something else at close to the same price as the A90, please let me know. But if you think that the A90 is the way to go, please let me know that, too!

Please note that I want a fully-balanced amp, so ones like the Monolith THX AAA 887 or the Massdrop THX AAA 789 might be great, but they're not what I'm looking for.

What headphones? Your experience will depend very much on headphones. A90 is a good choice overall.

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #1,043 of 1,442
What headphones? Your experience will depend very much on headphones. A90 is a good choice overall.
Right now just the Hifiman HE-400i 2020 model (which personally feels harder to me to drive than the advertised 35 ohm impedance would indicate), but part of the idea here is future-proofing so I wouldn’t worry about driving any future cans I might get.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #1,044 of 1,442
I used to hear Topping A90 with Hifiman HE-560, a more difficult load (by sensitivity at least, 400i - 93 db, 560 - 90 db). A90 will drive 400i at the medium gain providing you feed A90 via balanced (high can be a reserve for unbalanced). It seems the sound signature will be similar but 560 will be more refined. No wonder due to the price difference. You can read this HIFIMAN HE-400i 2020 Review - Headfonia Reviews . I do not have the 400i but I would not expect a bass focus from the A90 + 400i. The pair will have an equal balance over the whole spectrum. Probably (only probably) it will sound slightly "lighter" than on your valve Loxjie. A90 works well with 560 so it must suit 400i and is a future proof in case you will decide to upgrade the phones.

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #1,045 of 1,442
Right now just the Hifiman HE-400i 2020 model (which personally feels harder to me to drive than the advertised 35 ohm impedance would indicate), but part of the idea here is future-proofing so I wouldn’t worry about driving any future cans I might get.

I tried them, and they were driven just fine by the A90, so no worries on that front.

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #1,046 of 1,442

You might want to look at the Gustard H16, a fully balanced amp with a lot of power (though less than the Jotunheim 2) for $400. (If it matters to you, the Gustard, unusually for an amp, has a small screen with the volume output and a remote since the volume is digitally controlled.) I'm currently considering getting a new amp for my Blu-ray/TV setup (my out-of-warranty THX 789 died; using the Massdrop CTH for now), and am leaning to the Gustard or the Jotunheim 2 sans DAC. (Not a huge deal, but although they are the same price, for me the Gustard is actually about $50 less since Schiit charges state sales tax and shipping while the Gustard is available from Apos, which charges neither.) Gustard is a Chinese company with a lower profile than Topping or SMSL, but a decent reputation.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #1,047 of 1,442
You might want to look at the Gustard H16, a fully balanced amp with a lot of power (though less than the Jotunheim 2) for $400. (If it matters to you, the Gustard, unusually for an amp, has a small screen with the volume output and a remote since the volume is digitally controlled.) I'm currently considering getting a new amp for my Blu-ray/TV setup (my out-of-warranty THX 789 died; using the Massdrop CTH for now), and am leaning to the Gustard or the Jotunheim 2 sans DAC. (Not a huge deal, but although they are the same price, for me the Gustard is actually about $50 less since Schiit charges state sales tax and shipping while the Gustard is available from Apos, which charges neither.) Gustard is a Chinese company with a lower profile than Topping or SMSL, but a decent reputation.
The H16 is starting to feel like a winner, but I'm still poking around for more ideas/reviews/etc. for now. I hadn't heard of it before, thank you!

Edited to add: another newer unit that I'm also keeping an eye on is the Singxer SA-1.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #1,048 of 1,442
Ordered an A90 to pair with my D90. Currently using my D90 with a THX AAA 789 and some denon AH-D7000's. Hoping for the best but even if it sounds the same I guess my amp and dac will finally match :fingers_crossed:

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #1,049 of 1,442

I´m on the same boat. I think Jotenheim2 will be. People who got the jot2 now, owned a90 before, sold a90. They say A90 it's like hospital clinical... like singer always sounds few years younger... measures very good, sounds too much... clean... jot2 more class A sound... proper real knob, 100$ less price... 5 years warranty fr the Schiit. If you are in USA, I think it's very clear what's best to get at the moment, no?

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #1,050 of 1,442
I just got my new A90 hooked up top my D90 (rca) and right away noticed buzzing/static noises when I move my mouse and open programs. This is with the usb cable that came with the D90 hooked to my pc which is my source for everything. It didn't happen with the THX AAA 789 and nothing else has changed. Has anyone found the fix yet?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back