Topping A90
Feb 8, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #1,066 of 1,442
Any recommendations for a DAC to pair up with an A90 for a bit of a warmer sound?

Currently using a Topping D50S connected via RCA. I had my eye on the D90 or possibly the RME ADI 2 for later this year, but just wondering if there are better options available (or slated to be released later this year).

modi multibit, or bifrost. or audio GD, but for bifrost 2 money I would jump on the denafrips ares 2, though.

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #1,070 of 1,442
I received my A90 a couple of days ago and all had been great.
I noticed today though that in a specific volume spectrum, very low volume, the channels get imbalanced.
This is happening on both the balanced and unbalanced output, both on my headphones and IEMs rotated also just to make sure it's not my ears.
If a lower the volume more or a raise it more then the stage gets centered again, volume start to match, or at least it's not noticeable anymore.
Do you believe that this is a good cause to return it? Could it be that this is part of a bigger issue?
Besides my OCD this volume is too low to be usable either way for now, unless I get something that is sensitive enough to need it.

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #1,071 of 1,442
I noticed today though that in a specific volume spectrum, very low volume, the channels get imbalanced.
This is happening on both the balanced and unbalanced output, both on my headphones and IEMs rotated also just to make sure it's not my ears.
If a lower the volume more or a raise it more then the stage gets centered again, volume start to match, or at least it's not noticeable anymore.
Do you believe that this is a good cause to return it? Could it be that this is part of a bigger issue?
Besides my OCD this volume is too low to be usable either way for now, unless I get something that is sensitive enough to need it.
Lol, most of the wolume controls have that.
Except dact or ladder type ones.

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #1,072 of 1,442

Pretty much any device with a regular analogue volume pot like this will have imbalance at low volumes.

You have to go with stepped attenuators to get rid of it, which usually adds a lot to the cost.

Feb 14, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,073 of 1,442
Pretty much any device with a regular analogue volume pot like this will have imbalance at low volumes.

You have to go with stepped attenuators to get rid of it, which usually adds a lot to the cost.

Jumped to A90 from an SH-9 and before that I used to have an Atom and I had never experienced it in the past. :)
Thanks for the input!

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #1,074 of 1,442
Hey folks! I just got the A90 after reading some impressions here, I’m very happy with the life it gave to my Monolith m1060.

But I have a question about possible faulty unit?
Just got the Sennheiser HD560s which has 120 ohms resistance and sensitivity of 110db/v max power handling of 200mW.
I’m playing at max volume on high gain, which should damage my ears, right? But I can listen comfortably. Source from audio is a LG G7 ThinQ quad dac with 2Vrms output.

Should I contact the dealer? I just think it’s wired, beginning to think the m1060 sounded just as “lively” with my iBasso DX160. And the impression was just the new toy syndrome.

Could anyone else check if single ended output at high gain max volume is listenable on their Senn560s?

EDIT: Sorry for stupid question above, I’m new to this hobby. For others who try to push you headphones to the limit over max volume capabilities, don’t do it. Can damage voice coils. Reach max (enjoyable) volume on Sennheiser HD 560s at medium gain 2 o’clock.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/power-impedance-etc/

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #1,075 of 1,442
Hey folks! I just got the A90 after reading some impressions here, I’m very happy with the life it gave to my Monolith m1060.

But I have a question about possible faulty unit?
Just got the Sennheiser HD560s which has 120 ohms resistance and sensitivity of 110db/v max power handling of 200mW.
I’m playing at max volume on high gain, which should damage my ears, right? But I can listen comfortably. Source from audio is a LG G7 ThinQ quad dac with 2Vrms output.

Should I contact the dealer? I just think it’s wired, beginning to think the m1060 sounded just as “lively” with my iBasso DX160. And the impression was just the new toy syndrome.

Could anyone else check if single ended output at high gain max volume is listenable on their Senn560s?

EDIT: Sorry for stupid question above, I’m new to this hobby. For others who try to push you headphones to the limit over max volume capabilities, don’t do it. Can damage voice coils. Reach max (enjoyable) volume on Sennheiser HD 560s at medium gain 2 o’clock.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/power-impedance-etc/

So I'm using the HD660s feeding it from the SU-9 at approximately 4Vrms and I cannot get higher than a quarter in the volume knob on low gain.
I would say check that any digital sound level is maxed out first since this sounds suspicious otherwise.

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #1,076 of 1,442
So I'm using the HD660s feeding it from the SU-9 at approximately 4Vrms and I cannot get higher than a quarter in the volume knob on low gain.
I would say check that any digital sound level is maxed out first since this sounds suspicious otherwise.

Thanks for the reply! Are you using balanced output?

Input balanced or not shouldn’t matter, according to the specs on their website.

Also tried ibasso single ended, which delivers 3.2Vrms. Both LG and Ibasso at max volume PO out high gain

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #1,077 of 1,442
I'm currently listening with the Sony MDR-Z1R, and the volume dial is at 9 o clock in low gain.. Balanced.

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #1,078 of 1,442
Thanks for the reply! Are you using balanced output?

Input balanced or not shouldn’t matter, according to the specs on their website.

Also tried ibasso single ended, which delivers 3.2Vrms. Both LG and Ibasso at max volume PO out high gain
I was using single-ended for a while and then switched to balanced. With balance I had to lower the volume from the DAC to have some sound control actually.

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #1,079 of 1,442
Be aware :slight_frown:today my A90 fried itself and it is useless now. The smell of burned circuits... even now after one hour i sense it.
But this is not all, it also broke the headphones i was listening, fostex th909 :sob: at one moment suddenly started to hear some buzzes, clicks and snaps, now the left driver is dead, right driver sounds bad too. even the 4.4mm jack was smelling also.
So be warned. i had it with topping, too bad, i was enjoying it. Hopefully the dac is ok,didn't tested it yet but it was still up and no smell.

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #1,080 of 1,442
:scream: Yayay!! I feel for you Bro!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back