Dita Audio Flagship - "The Dream"
Jun 7, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #331 of 569
Anyone compare it to the Hifiman re2000 ? Best stand alone iem available. Almost beats kse 1500. Layla ii and Tia forte fall behind. Single driver is still king. Thinking of buying the Dream for mobile use or at work. Stax for home and Isine 20.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #332 of 569
Hmmmm...I must say that...the lola has me very impressed..
Out of a phone, it sounds horrible. But then again, using a phone to test dynamics is not a fair test.

But, out of a player (1Z) which can pump out juice, it really blew me away. It was, in a nutshell, the opposite of the dream.
While the dream focused on a very hi-fi spacious and holographic soundstage that works wonders for anything from orchestra to vocals, the lola is, hands down the Single best female vocal centric iem I have had the pleasure of listening to.

That said, using the lola for almost any other genre was a pretty meh experience. But, given that 80% of my playlist is nothing but female, Japanese vocals, I feel an instant sense of connection to the lola given how it complements my collection of iems.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #335 of 569
Jun 10, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #336 of 569
Hmmmm...I must say that...the lola has me very impressed..
Out of a phone, it sounds horrible. But then again, using a phone to test dynamics is not a fair test.

But, out of a player (1Z) which can pump out juice, it really blew me away. It was, in a nutshell, the opposite of the dream.
While the dream focused on a very hi-fi spacious and holographic soundstage that works wonders for anything from orchestra to vocals, the lola is, hands down the Single best female vocal centric iem I have had the pleasure of listening to.

That said, using the lola for almost any other genre was a pretty meh experience. But, given that 80% of my playlist is nothing but female, Japanese vocals, I feel an instant sense of connection to the lola given how it complements my collection of iems.

Since you are a proud owner of both the Dream and Flamenco , I am curious if you have heard the AAW W900 . And if you have, what are your thoughts on that as compared to both current flagships from Dita and Jomo .

Cheers

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #337 of 569
Does detailing on the dream stack up to the top shelf multi BA stuff or is it more "holistic/detail is there but you have to focus for it" sort of deal? I get conflicting opinions on this phone from what I've come across, especially with regard to the treble.

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #338 of 569
Does detailing on the dream stack up to the top shelf multi BA stuff or is it more "holistic/detail is there but you have to focus for it" sort of deal? I get conflicting opinions on this phone from what I've come across, especially with regard to the treble.

I have seen a couple of folks mention treble but I never have seen a review say anything. Maybe I am not sure what I am to be listening for. I own the Dream, just sold the 64 Audio U12, own the Zeus XRA and have a demo of the VE8. As I type this I am listening to some Al DiMeola and his music is very detailed. I am not fighting in the least to pick up any details. In fact, the presentation of the Dream is TOTL. The air around the notes does sometimes create a bit of a 3d music swirling around you. The bass is probably about my favorite I have heard. Fantastic presentation. When I am not listening I have it burning-in as I hear it gets better and better, I may be around 100 hours maybe.

Jun 10, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #339 of 569
I have seen a couple of folks mention treble but I never have seen a review say anything. Maybe I am not sure what I am to be listening for. I own the Dream, just sold the 64 Audio U12, own the Zeus XRA and have a demo of the VE8. As I type this I am listening to some Al DiMeola and his music is very detailed. I am not fighting in the least to pick up any details. In fact, the presentation of the Dream is TOTL. The air around the notes does sometimes create a bit of a 3d music swirling around you. The bass is probably about my favorite I have heard. Fantastic presentation. When I am not listening I have it burning-in as I hear it gets better and better, I may be around 100 hours maybe.
How do you find the bass in comparison with U12 or VE8? I was really impressed with them (and VE6) last CanJam, and am curious how they compare with the dynamic driver Dream :)

Jun 10, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #340 of 569
How do you find the bass in comparison with U12 or VE8? I was really impressed with them (and VE6) last CanJam, and am curious how they compare with the dynamic driver Dream :)
U12 obviously is a bassy IEM, It had some incredible bass rumble in the sub and overall great in lower and lower mid range of bass.

The VE8 is really making its presence as a TOTL contender with a warm, yet solid bass, no bleed. Deep bass but overall a decent balance and details. I am really impressed with their tuning.

I feel the Dream bass just has an incredible tone and drags out the details in the bass. Jazz at the Pawnshop never sounded better. An example of the bass, today I was listening to Audioslave, and their sound can be a bit congested at times but I was clearly able to hear the bass line and bass notes as if it was on a different plane.
I am not seeing much in the way of impressions on this wonderful DD.

Jun 11, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #341 of 569
I should stop reading about The Dream, I have an itch... CanJam London is not so far good to know!

Can't wait for @flinkenick 's review :)

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #344 of 569
If you get to listen I'd love to read impressions and comparison between Dream and Vega.

Not sure I'll make it, but if I do I certainly will unless I yield to the itch before that :p

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #345 of 569
Personally, I would say that all the problems raised about the dream so far in its peaky treble but lacks extension, is due to a lack of power and burn in for the cable. Right now, the dream is, forgive the hyperbole,. but at least to my limited exposure, the singular most revealing iem money can buy. This, even compared to flagships like the Tia forte, the Zeus 14 or R, the U18, Noble Katana or enccore, KSE1500, flamenco and so on.

However, out of the box and with less than 400-500 hours of burn in, the dream will sound a little peaky and lack bass extension. This, is I feel one of the main issues plaguing early impressions or shop demos of the dream. I can say this with a fair amount of certainty, since I leave my dream to burn in 24/7 on a dedicated burn in rig that I use to run gear in, and I only listen to it every few days or so, while I use my Flamenco or empire stuff for daily use. I dare say that, right now, having owned this unit since March, probably no one else has a production unit with this much burn in time, which is why impressions of its performance seems to vary from person to person.

I think that the best way to describe the dream, would be akin to looking out of a very clear window and being able to perceive your surrounding with acute precision. Because everything is very detailed, the strength in its tonality lies not in its weight, but in its texturing. Imagine not only being able to easily tell the colours apart, but also being able to spot the different shading of each colour within the primary colour that it is located in.

That, is exactly how I would describe the dream's selling point; its focus on texturing (the layers) between each note and its coherency within its staging. The bass for instance, will lose in sheer quantity to the Tia, but the Tia forte is a tier lower in its bass texture. The same goes for the Vega. The Vega manages to balance amazing bass quantity with a respectable degree of texturing, but its still short of the dream. That said, with the dream gives in the mids and trebles sets itself way ahead of the Vega. That said, the dream is not exactly a reference signature, with it being slightly coloured. But, its sheer technicality makes it a very good 'detail retrieval' iem. I know that while this is the dream's stellar point, some may find this fatiguing and a turn off.

However, despite the lavish praise I can heap on the dream, I too can think of several reasons why one should NOT buy the dream. If you intend to use it on a low powered player (e.g. 380, RW or Musashi modded or not), or want a smooth relaxing signature, or lack the patience to monitor the burn in process to prevent damage to the diaphragm, then this is NOT the IEM for you. It is, unfortunately, not an iem that performs at its best without some effort put into it.

For that, I would suggest using BA iems instead with standard parts that dont require too much burn in (large caps for instance), and at that the fewer drivers the better too. Those, will usually sound good out-of-box, but I suspect will start to meet its limitation and fall behind once the competitors have had some time to run in.

Edit: oh, and I forgot, its only in universal form, so it lacks the comfort and immersiveness of a full sealing custom.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back