AKG K361/K371
Nov 9, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #31 of 1,294
Interesting indeed. Perhaps I mistake the lack of detail for the DT to being neutral versus when switching over to the K371 I found there is over emphasis.

In any case, the graphs don't lie on his measurements and it certainly shows the K371 to be able to reproduce the target more faithfully than the DT177x. I did also notice that despite being both 32 ohms, there is a difference in pre-amp gain. Can anyone explain why that is the case and how this is determined?

The reason is I find the K371 can hold on its own with minimal amplification. While I found the DT177x starts to shine with more amplification. While in the testing the preamp gain was higher for the K371 and less than half amplification for the DT177x.

Very curious on how this came about.
It depends on what you like and where you find sensitivity. The K371, with AKG being owned by Harman, does follow the target as close as I’ve seen any other headphone. Beyers typically follow a diffuse field tuning. From what I’ve read the Harman target is a little forward in the upper mids and lower treble, that’s probably where you’re hearing irritation, and a closed in soundstage doesn’t help. Beyer midrange is typically pulled back a bit so it’s less fatiguing. One of the things I like about the 177X, they relaxed that region. Songs where I’m used to it sounding too forward there, even with the H6, I notice they sound easier on the Beyer.

No doubt to me that both headphones sound good personally, I haven’t heard the K371 yet but I imagine it’s great and better than the M50x. They’re both different sounds, with the Beyer being warmer and more rich, to suit at home listening. The K371 designed for studio use but still good sounding for listening to music. Apologies if this is purely based on assumption but I imagine the K371 sounding on the leaner side based on what I’ve heard about AKG’s, but still with improved tone and timbre.

Regarding the amplification it might be due to sensitivity but not sure. Not the smartest when it comes to that stuff. I thought the AKG was less than 32 ohms?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #33 of 1,294
It depends on what you like and where you find sensitivity. The K371, with AKG being owned by Harman, does follow the target as close as I’ve seen any other headphone. Beyers typically follow a diffuse field tuning. From what I’ve read the Harman target is a little forward in the upper mids and lower treble, that’s probably where you’re hearing irritation, and a closed in soundstage doesn’t help. Beyer midrange is typically pulled back a bit so it’s less fatiguing. One of the things I like about the 177X, they relaxed that region. Songs where I’m used to it sounding too forward there, even with the H6, I notice they sound easier on the Beyer.

No doubt to me that both headphones sound good personally, I haven’t heard the K371 yet but I imagine it’s great and better than the M50x. They’re both different sounds, with the Beyer being warmer and more rich, to suit at home listening. The K371 designed for studio use but still good sounding for listening to music. Apologies if this is purely based on assumption but I imagine the K371 sounding on the leaner side based on what I’ve heard about AKG’s, but still with improved tone and timbre.

Regarding the amplification it might be due to sensitivity but not sure. Not the smartest when it comes to that stuff. I thought the AKG was less than 32 ohms?

What you said makes sense. I now realise that of course the K371 being a Harman company would closely match their target which is what they tune their headphones towards. And Beyer having it's own sound signature follows their own reference tuning. So at this point it's what the end user prefers and what they're more sensitive towards.

For my ears, I like the DT177X most with the K371 complementing. I actually also enjoy the sound of the Senn HD300 PRO. It's just so darn uncomfortable to my head I end up taking it out and hating it.

FYI, K371 is rated at 32 ohms same as the DT177X.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #34 of 1,294
What you said makes sense. I now realise that of course the K371 being a Harman company would closely match their target which is what they tune their headphones towards. And Beyer having it's own sound signature follows their own reference tuning. So at this point it's what the end user prefers and what they're more sensitive towards.

For my ears, I like the DT177X most with the K371 complementing. I actually also enjoy the sound of the Senn HD300 PRO. It's just so darn uncomfortable to my head I end up taking it out and hating it.

FYI, K371 is rated at 32 ohms same as the DT177X.
I gave my M50x to my girlfriend but she only used them when doing homework. If she had any preference when it comes to sound I’d buy her a K371 so I could use them as well :ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #35 of 1,294
I did also notice that despite being both 32 ohms, there is a difference in pre-amp gain. Can anyone explain why that is the case and how this is determined?

impedance says nothing about sensitivity actually: the latter measurement describes essentially, how much output you get for a given input (which varies a bit unfortunately, so values often cannot compared directly). It's often given as dB at 1mW or 1V.

So the DT177x obviously has less sensitivity, i.e. needs more input for the same output.

Nov 11, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #37 of 1,294
The K371 seems to be very sensitive, so maybe not the best pair to compare with. I only owned the DT1770 with 250ohm, which I did not try directly from a smartphone though... I'd expect a 32ohm version to work with a phone, but it might still not be the best match.
For portable use the smaller form factor of the K371 is a definitive advantage in my eyes.

Nov 11, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #39 of 1,294
Anyone with the K371 have the HD-1/Momentum 2.0 Over Ear wired? These are my favorite closed headphones at the moment. I'm very happy with the frequency response. More curious as to whether or not the K371 might be more resolving?

Nov 11, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #40 of 1,294
Yeah I don't really understand the 177X GO as a product. It's pretty heavy and bulky to be used as a portable device, and not as sensitive as some other headphones. Weird idea.
I too think they kinda messed up the branding there lol. They work for my purpose of wearing them at the office with my portable amp but no way am I “GO”ing anywhere while they’re on my head! Plus you’d think for a “portable”, and for the price, they would include a case or something, like the 1770.

Nov 11, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #41 of 1,294
Anyone with the K371 have the HD-1/Momentum 2.0 Over Ear wired? These are my favorite closed headphones at the moment. I'm very happy with the frequency response. More curious as to whether or not the K371 might be more resolving?
The 2.0 over ear was horribly grainy to me when I reviewed it, so if yours is anything like that then the 371 would be quite a noticeable upgrade but with the same slightly mid forward, laid back treble signature. You'll get a bit of a sub bass bump as well there that isn't present on the Momentum.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #42 of 1,294
The 2.0 over ear was horribly grainy to me when I reviewed it, so if yours is anything like that then the 371 would be quite a noticeable upgrade but with the same slightly mid forward, laid back treble signature. You'll get a bit of a sub bass bump as well there that isn't present on the Momentum.

I'm not finding the HD-1 to be very grainy. This is also the second pair I have owned (previous pair was stolen).

I've also seen parts of your review of the Momentum 2.0. My experience with the sub bass definition is different as well. Maybe it's because I have an XXL head with XXL ears to match. They fit me as more of an on ear, so the perceived frequency response could be slightly different. Certainly can affect the Q of the bass response.

I don't need more sub bass than the HD-1, but I might give the K371 a try if they end up on special for BF / CM. I am curious about K371 because I had the K551 for about a year. Ultimately gave up on them because they were just a little too cold, the seal would break on them too easily, and not good for travel because of their bulk.

Nov 16, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #43 of 1,294
Decided to give the K371 a try. Got them yesterday and they are going back.

They are definitely very resolving. They do have good deep sub-bass extension. However, some of the mid-bass sounds light in comparison to the mids and especially the forward, emphasized highs. I like to be able to hear the bassline. In these headphones, it sounds recessed on many tracks that I enjoy. And soundstage often does not sound very full because of the recessed midbass. They also failed the body moving test. Some songs that I really like will get my unconsciously tapping my feet or slightly nodding my head. These never did, compared to my HD-1s which often do. Not engaging at all to me.

So IMO, more of a headphone for someone that likes an analytical sound and wants to find every detail. But I will be cautious about recommending these as many people who have grown up with a consumer-oriented sound may find these bass light like I did.

And I guess if this is spot-on for the Harman Curve, then I'm not in the demographic that curve suits.

In other news, AKG has them on special for $134 shipped if someone has been waiting for a deal: https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Professional Headphones/K371-.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back