Astell&Kern AK70 MK II and Michelle Limited IEM coming in October
Sep 25, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #33 of 73
Is this intended to be a replacement for the AK240? Where does this sit in Astell & Kern's product line in relation to the Kann?

Sep 28, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #34 of 73
Is this intended to be a replacement for the AK240? Where does this sit in Astell & Kern's product line in relation to the Kann?
I think they don't intend to replace AK240 with AK70mk2. It's a new entry model in AK portable line.

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #35 of 73
I owned the original CD-Ripper and I found it extremely slow compared to any other dvd/cd readers, I hope they improved this aspect.

Other than that is extremely well built.

I don't know what extraction methodology iRiver employ on their CD-rippers for the AK line-up, but it might be that they are using more effective reading and error-checking routines than the vanilla 'jitter correction' that most computer ripping softwares employ. It takes a lot of extra time to re-read sectors on a CD, multiple times, in order to minimise ripping errors (much more info about this can be found on the website I previously mentioned, regarding Exact Audio Copy).

Another possible influence on ripping speed is that modern computer CD ROM drives rip at very high speed but generate quite a lot of noise and vibration, and, perhaps, iRiver might have chosen a slower rotational speed in order to minimise noise and vibration for customers who may wish to listen to their hi-fi without any audible disturbance, whilst their AK ripper is doing its job.

Personally, I always choose quality rather than speed, when it comes to ripping my CDs, which is why I am willing to use EAC instead of 99% of other ripping softwares, which use embarrassingly simplistic and inadequate 'jitter-correction' routines.

Perhaps someone from AK can explain what aspects affected the design of the dedicated AK ripper device(s), but at least you can see, from the above, that there are sometimes very legitimate reasons for some rippers being slower than others, and it doesn't necessarily indicate a shortcoming - in fact, it may indicate the device has been designed very well!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #36 of 73
For anyone attending RMAF next weekend, we will be demoing the AK70 MK II, Michelle Limited and AK CD-Ripper MK II in our booth at the CamJam section of RMAF.

If you pre-ordered the AK70 MK II from the Astell&Kern US E-Store, those units will start shipping to customers next week. Ak70 MK II will also ship to dealers in the US and Canada next week.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 29, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #37 of 73
If you pre-ordered the AK70 MK II from the Astell&Kern US E-Store, those units will start shipping to customers next week. Ak70 MK II will also ship to dealers in the US and Canada next week.
Great news!! I pre-ordered both AK70Mk2 and Ripper Mk2. When will the Ripper be shipped?

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #39 of 73
For anyone attending RMAF next weekend, we will be demoing the AK70 MK II, Michelle Limited and AK CD-Ripper MK II in our booth at the CamJam section of RMAF.

Any news for the UK / EU region? As far as a release date goes?

Oct 2, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #43 of 73
Oct 5, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #44 of 73
Oct 6, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #45 of 73
I received a shipping confirmation email from AK for AK70 Mk2. But my pre-ordered AK70 Mk2 case (navy color) has not shipped yet. What is the estimated date for the cases to be shipped? Is there any difference in terms of availability among different colors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back