Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jan 5, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #1,321 of 2,698
Hi, Can someone help me set up the kann with my windows 10 laptop? I want to use jriver to send out a digital stream to the kann. I hooked up the kann to the laptop using the micro usb connection and the laptop gave a notification that it was setting up kann. So far so good. I opened jriver, went to tools and tried to select kann in the output device but couldnt find it. Please help.
Do I need a driver for windows 10? On the ak website there are drivers for 7 and 8.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #1,322 of 2,698
Connect a powered USB hub to the CCK and then connect your Kann. You will not get error message of power.

Yes, that's what I've been doing if I wanted to use the Kann as USB DAC for my iPad.

It is weird though, as I have been using Mojo, and HiFi M8 as USB DAC for iPhone or iPad without this power problem. It is also notwithstanding the fact that Kann comes with an internal battery/power.

Maybe Jason can confirm whether this is an isolated or a widespread issue?

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #1,324 of 2,698
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #1,325 of 2,698
Yes, that's what I've been doing if I wanted to use the Kann as USB DAC for my iPad.

It is weird though, as I have been using Mojo, and HiFi M8 as USB DAC for iPhone or iPad without this power problem. It is also notwithstanding the fact that Kann comes with an internal battery/power.

Maybe Jason can confirm whether this is an isolated or a widespread issue?

It is a widespread issue. Apple has made some restrictions in its OS updates.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #1,326 of 2,698
Does the Hub has to have a separate power supply? if I have to take this with me each time that I want to listen to my iPhone through Kann then it will not be a mobile solution for me. In the video that you have shared in the previous page, the USB hub that was used had no power supply and it perfectly worked. How can we identify powered usb hubs that do not require a separate power supply?

Thank you

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #1,327 of 2,698
Does the Hub has to have a separate power supply? if I have to take this with me each time that I want to listen to my iPhone through Kann then it will not be a mobile solution for me. In the video that you have shared in the previous page, the USB hub that was used had no power supply and it perfectly worked. How can we identify powered usb hubs that do not require a separate power supply?

Thank you

You have to make some trials of which hub is portable and suits you.

Jan 7, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #1,329 of 2,698
hi
all, My saga of connecting my kann to jriver in windows 10 continues. I can see the kann in jriver options and when i play a file I can see the sample rate on the kann screen but I only get noise. Downloaded the kann driver from the website but windows 10 wont let me install it as it is unsigned. HELP!!!!

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #1,330 of 2,698
Jan 7, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #1,331 of 2,698
hi
all, My saga of connecting my kann to jriver in windows 10 continues. I can see the kann in jriver options and when i play a file I can see the sample rate on the kann screen but I only get noise. Downloaded the kann driver from the website but windows 10 wont let me install it as it is unsigned. HELP!!!!

Not a window user so may not be able to help you there.

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #1,332 of 2,698
Has anyone tried using the Kann as music server? Looking to connect the Kann to the USB input of a Mcintosh D150 Digital Preamp.

Looks like it might be able to support this.

Yes I tried it initially when I purchased the Kann all went smoothly. . Bit have not used it lately.

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #1,335 of 2,698
Hi,
Did anyone one of you succeed to use Kann as an external DAC with an iphone? when I connected it, I got an error message saying that the connected device requires a lot of power. Any idea how to fix this?

Thank you

Ok i have managed to use a portable usb hub by Belkin with apple CCK kit without any external power with iphone & Kann . No error messages. Check images below:

20180108_163405.jpg

20180108_163556.jpg

20180108_163423.jpg

20180108_163543.jpg

All works perfectly without error messages pop ups on iphone. No need for powered usb hub.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back