Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jan 3, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #1,306 of 2,698
Hi Shetzu,

I have tried to connect my Kann as USB DAC to my Mac, but it is not recognised, which is unusual. Typically my Mac will instantly recognise external USB DAC devices, like my Mojo, HiFi M8, Fiio X5-iii and DX-200. I have tried to restart both my Kann and my Mac, albeit with no joy.

I have tried to connect it to my iPad using the Apple USB connector, and it seems to be recognised but it said that Kann USB DAC is using too much power thus it is not working.

By the way, I am using 2015 MacBook Pro 15".

Can you please shed a light on my issues?

Thanks.

I will help you here. Lets go by following steps.

FOR EVERYONE HOW TO CONNECT KANN TO MAC AS EXT DAC

1. Connect your USB cable to Micro USB port of Kann and the other end to your Mac Pro.

2. On the Kann you will see DAC icon . Just press that. See image below:

20180103_110408.jpg

20180103_110613.jpg

3. On Mac Pro, go to system preference and click on sound icon. Here you select Kann as external sound card.

Screen_Shot_2018-01-03_at_11.06.39_AM.png

4. You mac is ready to use Kann as external Dac.

5. If you are using Audirvana+ as app to play your HD music, you must go in its settings and select Kann as sound card. Check image below:

Screen_Shot_2018-01-03_at_10.51.01_AM.png

6. If you are using jriver app then on the top menu bar of app select tools. Check image below

Screen_Shot_2018-01-03_at_10.47.04_AM.png

7. You are all set to listen to your Kann as dac on your Macbook Pro.
8. If you need help let me know.
Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #1,307 of 2,698
I will help you here. Lets go by following steps.

FOR EVERYONE HOW TO CONNECT KANN TO MAC AS EXT DAC

1. Connect your USB cable to Micro USB port of Kann and the other end to your Mac Pro.

2. On the Kann you will see DAC icon . Just press that. See image below:

20180103_110408.jpg

20180103_110613.jpg

3. On Mac Pro, go to system preference and click on sound icon. Here you select Kann as external sound card.

Screen_Shot_2018-01-03_at_11.06.39_AM.png

4. You mac is ready to use Kann as external Dac.

5. If you are using Audirvana+ as app to play your HD music, you must go in its settings and select Kann as sound card. Check image below:

Screen_Shot_2018-01-03_at_10.51.01_AM.png

6. If you are using jriver app then on the top menu bar of app select tools. Check image below

Screen_Shot_2018-01-03_at_10.47.04_AM.png

7. You are all set to listen to your Kann as dac on your Macbook Pro.
8. If you need help let me know.
Cheers

Hi Shetzu,

Thank you for your detailed guidance on how to connect the KANN as USB DAC to my Mac.

So the problem for me was the I seem to use several faulty USB cables or cables which the Kann does not like. When I connected the Kann with the custom USB cable that I used to use with my then Mojo, it works wonderfully by following the steps that you have described above.

So yes, thank you again for your help here.

Cheers.

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #1,308 of 2,698
Hi all

I'm new here and considering either Kann or AK70ii.

At the moment I have a Pono and B&W P7s but I've recently got a set of B&W PX. Basically I travel for hours every day and need something noise cancelling, and wireless is just a little more convenient.

One thing that doesnt seem to be covered in any reviews is the AptX HD. How does this compare to a wired connection; any different in quality?

The main advantages of the Kann over AK70ii looks to be 1; battery size 2; powerful amp and 3; expandability and connections. If I'm looking to stream via AptX, I assume the analogue amp is irrelevant(?) so that leaves battery life (which is a bonus for me) and the expandability of memory (which is good but not essential) and connections (irrelevant if streaming).

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the above.

Thanks

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #1,309 of 2,698
Hi all

At the moment I have a Pono and B&W P7s but I've recently got a set of B&W PX. Basically I travel for hours every day and need something noise cancelling, and wireless is just a little more convenient.

One thing that doesnt seem to be covered in any reviews is the AptX HD. How does this compare to a wired connection; any different in quality?

The main advantages of the Kann over AK70ii looks to be 1; battery size 2; powerful amp and 3; expandability and connections. If I'm looking to stream via AptX, I assume the analogue amp is irrelevant(?) so that leaves battery life (which is a bonus for me) and the expandability of memory (which is good but not essential) and connections (irrelevant if streaming).

Thanks

Hello.
Please see reply on your subject posted by JasonNYC of A&K here.

https://head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-kann-dap-with-massive-storage-battery.843376/page-87

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #1,311 of 2,698
Thanks for the reply Shetzu but there isnt a post from JasonNYC on those topics in the link. Only one about wifi speakers

Sorry. I think Jason posted on aptX HD speakers on someones inquiry. Since you mentioned aptX.

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #1,312 of 2,698
Hi,
Did anyone one of you succeed to use Kann as an external DAC with an iphone? when I connected it, I got an error message saying that the connected device requires a lot of power. Any idea how to fix this?

Thank you

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #1,313 of 2,698
Hi all

Thanks
I have a KANN and just got a pair of PX. I don’t use the PX for critical listening, but I can report a noticeable improvement in sound quality when using the KANN/PX with AptX HD vs my iphone’s AAC Bluetooth connection. I have not compared with the PX “wired” (really, USB-C), because I don’t plan to use the PX in that way.

Theoretically, when using the PX you should get the same sound with any DAP/player that uses AptX HD, as the PX is solely responsible for the DAC and amp facilities.

I use the KANN with many other headphones, including full-sized cans. That versatility is important to me, but may be superfluous if you only plan to use the PX’s.

Hope that helps!

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #1,315 of 2,698
I agree. Or maybe even the Sony A40 if you don’t need streaming and don’t intend to plug in other headphones.

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,316 of 2,698
Thanks, thats really helpful. And im pretty sure I can save a bunch of cash and go for the AK70ii without loosing anything I need :)
I am thinking the same thing and currently waiting on delivery of an AK70ii!

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #1,317 of 2,698
Hi,
Did anyone one of you succeed to use Kann as an external DAC with an iphone? when I connected it, I got an error message saying that the connected device requires a lot of power. Any idea how to fix this?

Thank you

Did you try with the apple camera kit adapter. check this video may give you some idea.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #1,318 of 2,698
Hi,

Thank you

Hi.

While I’m able to connect my Kann to my iPad Pro using a CCK, I cannot seem to do so without at the same time connecting the CCK with a power supply.

If the CCK is connected “as is” without connection to any power supply, the error message will get triggered.

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #1,319 of 2,698
Hi.

While I’m able to connect my Kann to my iPad Pro using a CCK, I cannot seem to do so without at the same time connecting the CCK with a power supply.

If the CCK is connected “as is” without connection to any power supply, the error message will get triggered.

Connect a powered USB hub to the CCK and then connect your Kann. You will not get error message of power.

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #1,320 of 2,698
Any recommendation for a small powered USB hub? I don't want to carry something big with me. Kann is already huge

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back