Audeze LCD-MX4
Jan 1, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #196 of 907
A product I need to EQ and tweak in order to sound right is not one I find myself likely to buy, and that may be my personal flaw but that's all I can present is my own opinion.

I like my headphones to have as few "moving parts" as possible, as it were. Some may like doing tons of rolling and swapping and EQ'ing, but not me, because there are always factors that can get in the way of that and I really don't want to be somewhere finding myself going "ugh this doesn't sound right I wish I could use this cable/plugin."
When there's an assumption or a desire for them to be used... I sense problems.

Your not alone, while many have RAVED about how awesome things sound with the ReVEAL Plugin I to an reluctant to try and get it working. My work station is an absolute POS, hardware is working fine but I built this thing almost 6 years ago now! Fresh out of high school and I've managed to run it 6 years without Windows 7 Service Pack 1... and some how I can't update. So special drivers, and NEW UPDATED SOFTWARE PLUGINS and what not... turn me away. I've been maintaining and fighting an aging PC for years now, and frankly she runs just fine and I prefer to keep my tweaks limited to hardware. I don't mind buying cables, pads or even making small mods like the SDR insert for the HD 800. But if a specialized software plug in is "required" or a special cable that's to be used with a Specific product is "recommended" I'm with you, I don't really have an interest to invest in something that requires two or three MORE add-ons before it's "optimal" or at least competitive

Currently listening to the loaner pair provided bay @TSAVAlan @TSAVJason. Thanks guys! Really appreciate the opportunity.

Initial impressions are very positive. They sound like a much more refined and balanced LCD-X. Comfort is also finally up to snuff for the LCD line with the new lightened cups/frame.

I'll give some more impressions through the week and some final thoughts over the weekend.
:thumbsup:

Jan 1, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #197 of 907
Definitely curious what they may have done for "balance" on these. The Audeze warmth is important to me.

These are definitely the most neutral sounding Audeze I've heard. Certainly a departure from their house sound.

Jan 2, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #200 of 907
they're not that thick anymore in the mids
Are you saying neutral in a good or plain & boring way?

Yea, you don't get that those thick mids and rich, meaty bass that many Audeze have always had.

I didn't find them boring at all. They just have a much more reference, uncolored sound.

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #202 of 907
which is why i've come to like them now

Hello every one and Happy New Year

I would like to share my experienced with Audeze headphones. I have LCD2 v1, LCD3 V1, and LCDX. I would like to say that they all sounds good.
However, I think I prefer the sound of LCD2 and LCD3 as they give rich sound in mid and bass. It is really Audeze signature sound. Now with LCDX,
I have to say I like them the least because it becoming like others. Pls don't get me wrong, the LCDX also sounded very good, but it moves toward
brighter tone which make it closer to Hifiman, and Ether and even Stax and its no longer unique.

Just want to share my opinion. :jecklinsmile:

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #203 of 907
Hello every one and Happy New Year

I would like to share my experienced with Audeze headphones. I have LCD2 v1, LCD3 V1, and LCDX. I would like to say that they all sounds good.
However, I think I prefer the sound of LCD2 and LCD3 as they give rich sound in mid and bass. It is really Audeze signature sound. Now with LCDX,
I have to say I like them the least because it becoming like others. Pls don't get me wrong, the LCDX also sounded very good, but it moves toward
brighter tone which make it closer to Hifiman, and Ether and even Stax and its no longer unique.

Just want to share my opinion. :jecklinsmile:

There's also the silent revisions and sometimes significant same model variation that Audeze's LCD line has had in the past. I had an early (2014) LCD-X that was darker and lusher than a revised 2016 model I heard. It had a weight/texture to the bass that very few headphones could match. Still regret selling it.

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #204 of 907
There's also the silent revisions and sometimes significant same model variation that Audeze's LCD line has had in the past. I had an early (2014) LCD-X that was darker and lusher than a revised 2016 model I heard. It had a weight/texture to the bass that very few headphones could match. Still regret selling it.

Oddly enough my 2014s got repaired to the latest drivers and I think they sound a little fuller than the old set. Audeze seems to often have issues with variance.

Jan 2, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #205 of 907
The neutral, less warmth and thinner mids are why I prefer the Audeze LCD3/4 over these

Jan 14, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #208 of 907
Any more impressions/comparisons?

very easy to drive
they serve as a monitor to me. black background which translates to dark sound. balanced presentation. reminds me of the lcd X.
big soundstage as usual, instruments are well positioned and easy to point. vocals are not that thick and could sound thin to some.
it has a soft bass for me and sometimes make me desire for more extension and slam(i tried to use the lcd 4 stock cable and gave me more improvements from bottom to top).
the mids for me are not too forward but still right in front of me and intimate.
highs are present and quantity for me is acceptable with a nice extension but doesn't have the spark like the lcd 4 has.

overall these are balanced and neutral headphones that is very forgiving.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #209 of 907
Boy these are easy to drive! Much more so than the LCD-X.

Sooooo....Man, did I absolutely hate these out of the box. Dull low impactful bass, cloudy mids and recessed highs. I was very close to returning them immediately but I decided to let them "burn in" for a couple weeks. Boy am I glad that I did. The bass is now clear and impactful, Mids are clear but thick, full sounding. Highs gained just enough sparkle and detail to keep me happy while still being slightly rolled off. The soundstage is wider than the LCD-2 and slightly taller than the LCD-3. Tone is neutral. Better imaging and instrument seperation than the LCD2,3,X.

All that being said, the LCD-MX4 is EXTREMELY picky to the amplifier its paired up to compared to its brothers that I own.

Usable Amps
Parasound Vdac V.2 Headphone out= Wide sound stage, inky black background, detailed, impactful bass.
Chord Mojo= Great overall sound and detail but the Mid-bass is too strong and bleeds into the mids.

Un-usable
Ifi ICAN SE Micro= Narrow soundstage and sloppy bass, lack of detail.
Violectric V200= Extremely Narrow soundstage and Dull sounding.
Musical Paradise MP301 MK3 Modded= Lack of bass, lack of detail.

What makes these so special compared to the rest of Audeze's line-up?

-These are so easy to drive, you can get the same bass impact and sound from a portable device, such as the Chord Mojo, as compared to the rest of the LCD line hooked up to a powerful desktop Amp.

-The Imaging is superior to the LCD2,3,X.

Thats about it.

I got these to bring on the road with me and I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Why is Audeze shipping these without burning them in first? Never have I experienced such an extreme change in sound with any other headphone that I've owned. I can see a lot of people being initially turned off.

--EDITED--

Wow so I truly just wanted to like these. They are actually complete garbage for the price.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #210 of 907
Boy these are easy to drive! Much more so than the LCD-X.

Sooooo....Man, did I absolutely hate these out of the box. Dull low impactful bass, cloudy mids and recessed highs. I was very close to returning them immediately but I decided to let them "burn in" for a couple weeks. Boy am I glad that I did. The bass is now clear and impactful, Mids are clear but thick, full sounding. Highs gained just enough sparkle and detail to keep me happy while still being slightly rolled off. The soundstage is wider than the LCD-2 and slightly taller than the LCD-3. Tone is neutral. Better imaging and instrument seperation than the LCD2,3,X.

All that being said, the LCD-MX4 is EXTREMELY picky to the amplifier its paired up to compared to its brothers that I own.

Usable Amps
Parasound Vdac V.2 Headphone out= Wide sound stage, inky black background, detailed, impactful bass.
Chord Mojo= Great overall sound and detail but the Mid-bass is too strong and bleeds into the mids.

Un-usable
Ifi ICAN SE Micro= Narrow soundstage and sloppy bass, lack of detail.
Violectric V200= Extremely Narrow soundstage and Dull sounding.
Musical Paradise MP301 MK3 Modded= Lack of bass, lack of detail.

What makes these so special compared to the rest of Audeze's line-up?

-These are so easy to drive, you can get the same bass impact and sound from a portable device, such as the Chord Mojo, as compared to the rest of the LCD line hooked up to a powerful desktop Amp.

-The Imaging is superior to the LCD2,3,X.

Thats about it.

I got these to bring on the road with me and I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Why is Audeze shipping these without burning them in first? Never have I experienced such an extreme change in sound with any other headphone that I've owned. I can see a lot of people being initially turned off.

if You check the card that comes with the package it says that those have been already burned in already

Users who are viewing this thread

Back