Audeze LCD-MX4
Mar 12, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #903 of 907
I was comparing my LCD-X 2021 and MX4 and realized I found the LCD-X a bit woolier and mushy sounding so I think I'll sell them. As others have noted the MX4 does seem like a significant step up. However, I've heard the MM-500 is the best tuned Audeze so far and is almost like a planar HD650. The HD600 was my previous reference for production and mixing and I have the HD6XX also.

I've heard the MM-500 may be tuned better than the MX4, but still not as detailed and lacking a bit of low end. Anyone care to share their MX4 vs MM-500 impressions?

Aug 17, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #904 of 907
I was comparing my LCD-X 2021 and MX4 and realized I found the LCD-X a bit woolier and mushy sounding so I think I'll sell them. As others have noted the MX4 does seem like a significant step up. However, I've heard the MM-500 is the best tuned Audeze so far and is almost like a planar HD650. The HD600 was my previous reference for production and mixing and I have the HD6XX also.

I've heard the MM-500 may be tuned better than the MX4, but still not as detailed and lacking a bit of low end. Anyone care to share their MX4 vs MM-500 impressions?
I'm also looking for comparison with newer Audeze and other brand models. MX4 is from old Audeze generation - can it stand in same line with mm500, lcd-5. heddphone or expanse?

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #905 of 907
I have a pre-2021 MX4 and recently purchased another new pair to see what's changed, and it's very interesting. The new MX4 (on the right) has Fazors, whereas my prior MX4 does not. The addition of the Fazors is definitely new to the MX4 and, truthfully, I did not like the effect.

Now, keep in mind the new pair also had 2021 open-cell pads whereas my pair still has the memory foam (although I do have 2021 pads on standby). The newer pair, while more forward and less congested in the upper mids, sounds less coherent. Female vocals especially present this bite and grain that I did not get along with. The older MX4 felt like it had more body and weight while also sounding more natural across the mids/treble. The 2021 LCD-X had a similar effect where it sacrificed Timbre for added upper mids/clarity.

Other changes:
- New carbon fibre headband is MUCH more clampy than the older pair, and this is not to do with the age. The band has a smaller circumference and a completely different smooth finish. The newer pair was therefore less comfortable.
- Rods have been reversed so the notches show when picking up the headphone rather than the smooth side.
- Newer MX4 has 'Audeze' and 'MX4' engraved in the metal cup arms.
- Mini-XLR cable terminations changed from Rean to newer push-button style.
- Inner case foam updated so the headphones sit deeper in the case.

So, for everyone with an older MX4, the newer pair is not necessarily better, in my opinion.

Attachments

• 20240202_224410.jpg
    20240202_224410.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240202_224802.jpg
    20240202_224802.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #907 of 907
Thanks for the post. I owned an MX4 back in 2018/2019 and sometimes I get nostalgic about it. Sounds like it's not what it used to be. :)
Yup it makes me like my older pair even more :) There's something about the MX4 that's not like any other headphone I've owned or heard at the price. It's just so pleasant to listen to, and even more than my Meze Elite which is known to be easy-going. Most natural sounding Audeze IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back