Audeze LCD-X
May 11, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #4,052 of 12,748
my only complaint is weight... if they can figure out how to provide the same sound at half the weight I would certainly pay more.

I hear you. I put on my T1s and wonder if I have anything on my head. With the LCD-X tho the music is sooooo wonderful i forgot I have a 2 pound thinga-majingy on my head.

May 12, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #4,053 of 12,748
I think price is relative.
They might be expensive, but the SQ is just so wonderful.

Just like the few posts above, my real complaint is weight.
At least the X doesn't clamp as hard as the 2.
With the 2, I can't last pass the hour mark as the clamping force will give me nausea.
I'm in the process of selling my Fostex TH600 to partly pay for the X

May 12, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #4,054 of 12,748
I am slightly built and often have 6-8 hours listening sessions on my Xs with no problems. I do find the 3's slightly more comfortable around the ears, the fazors seem to leave a bit less cushioning over the ears.

May 12, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #4,055 of 12,748
My threshhold is very low. Even with the lightweight and comfortable HD800 or TH600, I have to re-seat or re-adjust the headphones every 1-2 hours.

May 12, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #4,056 of 12,748
I hate you im well jealous

Hifi Nutter have you heard the LCD-X with the Hugo yet? If so is it a good match? I'm thinking off pulling the trigger on a pair for my Hugo as an upgrade from HD-650 but have only heard the LCD-X through a desktop tube amp....sounded wonderful.

May 12, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #4,057 of 12,748
Hifi Nutter have you heard the LCD-X with the Hugo yet? If so is it a good match? I'm thinking off pulling the trigger on a pair for my Hugo as an upgrade from HD-650 but have only heard the LCD-X through a desktop tube amp....sounded wonderful.

Sorry I know you are asking Hifi Nutter but....I recently spent an afternoon comparing top end headphones with my Hugo and it finally came down to the LCD-X and the LCD3 and the LCD3, for me, were the better match. I've since brought a pair!
So my suggestion you must listen for yourself if you can.

May 12, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #4,058 of 12,748
T
Sorry I know you are asking Hifi Nutter but....I recently spent an afternoon comparing top end headphones with my Hugo and it finally came down to the LCD-X and the LCD3 and the LCD3, for me, were the better match. I've since brought a pair!

Yes thanks for the insight, I was thinking as the LCD-X are easier to drive they might be a better match. I will include the LCD-3 in my list as well then! Hope my wallet can cope :frowning2:

May 12, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #4,059 of 12,748
I've yet to audition the lcd x with my Hugo,im surprised that you found the lcd 3 better as I thought it was harder to drive and a darker sound but it would be boring if we all had the same taste in sound

May 12, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #4,060 of 12,748
I hear you. I put on my T1s and wonder if I have anything on my head. With the LCD-X tho the music is sooooo wonderful i forgot I have a 2 pound thinga-majingy on my head.

I have both T1 and LCD-X at my desk and have been using the T1 much more recently just to give my neck a break.  Mind you the LCD-X sounds better and my neck is slowly getting stronger but it is also costing me frequent trips to a medical massage therapist.  I am living by the 'if it doesn't kill you' mindset assuring myself it will make me stronger.

The X are much better in this regards to than the XC which actually gets a lot more head time because it is my work can.  I don't really need the closed aspects of the XC anymore and would love the ability to convert it to an X.  Seems it should be simple but Audeze won't sell me the grill plate.

May 12, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #4,061 of 12,748

I have both T1 and LCD-X at my desk and have been using the T1 much more recently just to give my neck a break.  Mind you the LCD-X sounds better and my neck is slowly getting stronger but it is also costing me frequent trips to a medical massage therapist.  I am living by the 'if it doesn't kill you' mindset assuring myself it will make me stronger.

The X are much better in this regards to than the XC which actually gets a lot more head time because it is my work can.  I don't really need the closed aspects of the XC anymore and would love the ability to convert it to an X.  Seems it should be simple but Audeze won't sell me the grill plate.

heyas, im actually contemplating a T1 atm instead of Lcd-x only beacuse its much cheaper. this may have been covered before, but do they even sound remotely alike? how do they compare in terms of detail retrieval and tonality specifically? i have an lcd-2 rev.2 so i can imagine what planar mids would sound like. but would you say they're more similiar than different? if its 'only' about bass and mids, i think i might opt for the cheaper alternative. whadya think?

May 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #4,062 of 12,748
Bought myself an LCD-X this evening from the local dealer.
The last one in stock and was told the next shipment will be in 2 months time.

May 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #4,063 of 12,748
  Just like the few posts above, my real complaint is weight.
At least the X doesn't clamp as hard as the 2.
With the 2, I can't last pass the hour mark as the clamping force will give me nausea.

That's great news. Care to elaborate on this? What's the reasoning for less pressure?

May 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #4,064 of 12,748
I recently had a chance to compare LCD-X to LCD-3F. Before Fazor was implemented on LCD-3, I preferred the LCD-X to LCD-3. With Fazor equipped, the LCD-3F sounded better compared to the former LCD-3, especially on a tube amp attributable to its higher impedance, but I still ended up favoring the LCD-X by a small margin. The sound is more neutral, closer to the Sennheiser HD800's sound signature in a way, but without the latter's harsh sibilance that has been a big issue for many including myself. With the LCD-X, I could live happily without the LCD-3F or HD800.

The Smyth Realiser A8 works wonders on the LCD-X by the way, better than the LCD-3F IMO.

May 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #4,065 of 12,748
small tip to LCD owners that I just recognized myself...

when you put the headphones down on the desk (neoprene mat in my case), in their normal earpad rotation they balance to where the miniXLR cables are against the desk and the headband floats up.  if you instead rotate the ear cups toward each other (rotate the thick back sides of the earpads together instead of the thin front sides)  then they balance with the headband down and the cable up reducing strain on the cable entering the miniXLR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back