Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 25, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #257 of 1,047
So, I'm on a pad trying spree, and I put a pair of Brainwavz angled sheepskin pads on the MSR7b. Going into this, I didn't expect this to work at all, with the driver already being quite a bit angled and all. But nope, works just fine. I can't discern many differences between these and the flat sheepskin pads when it comes to sound, but I like the comfort on the angled ones better, so I'm keeping them on. These are an easy recommendation from me.

Oct 25, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #258 of 1,047
So, I'm on a pad trying spree, and I put a pair of Brainwavz angled sheepskin pads on the MSR7b. Going into this, I didn't expect this to work at all, with the driver already being quite a bit angled and all. But nope, works just fine. I can't discern many differences between these and the flat sheepskin pads when it comes to sound, but I like the comfort on the angled ones better, so I'm keeping them on. These are an easy recommendation from me.

I have a somewhat dumb question. How do you changes the pads on the MSR7?

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #260 of 1,047
Already had the MSR7s and like them alot so I got a resealed/like new pair of MSR7b for 170E and not too happy with them. They might be not a great pair or slightly broken but, listening alternately with the MSR7 they sound noticeably worse. Less bass, and by quite alot (and the MSR7s were not bass heavy to begin with but they sound like they are compared to the b's, which are outright anemic in this regard), a bit less detail, a bit less volume and the sound is completely flat, the MSR7 sound is more 'full'. The sound is not bad in a very forward way when you listen just to them, it's just bad compared to the MSR7s. Especially the bass part, most people here and in some reviews said the MSR7b have a bit more bass than the original MSR7, but the pair I have has quite a lot less. MSR7 bass is quite punchy compared to them.

Is it possible that they are broken somehow? Anybody here has both?

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #261 of 1,047
Audio-Technica has announced new Hi-Res closed-back “Sound Reality” headphones ATH-MSR7b as an upgrade of the award-winning ATH-MSR7.
They are available in black and gunmetal.

ath_msr7b_bk_1_sq.jpg
ath_msr7b_gm_1_sq.jpg

The ATH-MSR7b headphones give you the latest in high-resolution headphone technology, combining the advanced features of the original ATH-MSR7 with both standard and balanced connection options for the ultimate portable listening experience.

These headphones are equipped with 45 mm True Motion Drivers with diamond-like carbon coated diaphragms to deliver distortion-free audio reproduction with extended frequency response. The headphones also feature Multi-layer Air Damping Technology that reduces unwanted vibration and controls the airflow for superior audio clarity. Completing the package are two detachable Y-type cables with A2DC (Audio Designed Detachable Coaxial) connectors. One cable is equipped with a standard 3.5 mm 3-pole stereo mini-plug, and the other has a 4.4 mm 5-pole balanced mini-plug, allowing you to use the MSR7b headphones with the latest high-spec audio players.

They are outfitted with soft memory foam earpads and headband for ultimate comfort. Stainless steel acoustic mesh resistor provides improved high-frequency response, while bass acoustic resistor delivers accurate low-frequency response.

Frequency Response: 5 - 50,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 101 dB/mW
Impedance: 36 ohms​
They are okay for a portable close back, but has no bass

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #262 of 1,047
Already had the MSR7s and like them alot so I got a resealed/like new pair of MSR7b for 170E and not too happy with them. They might be not a great pair or slightly broken but, listening alternately with the MSR7 they sound noticeably worse. Less bass, and by quite alot (and the MSR7s were not bass heavy to begin with but they sound like they are compared to the b's, which are outright anemic in this regard), a bit less detail, a bit less volume and the sound is completely flat, the MSR7 sound is more 'full'. The sound is not bad in a very forward way when you listen just to them, it's just bad compared to the MSR7s. Especially the bass part, most people here and in some reviews said the MSR7b have a bit more bass than the original MSR7, but the pair I have has quite a lot less. MSR7 bass is quite punchy compared to them.

You got a bunk set, possibly refurbished. If you read through this entire thread, you will see this isn't the common conclusion. Not even close actually. Return them. Do you use equalization, or open to doing so?

Oct 31, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #263 of 1,047

Depending on who you ask, the MSR7b is slightly better or slightly worse than the originals. But they don't have less bass. Definitely something wrong. Check your connections if everything is making proper contact and if that's not the problem, return them. The b are definitely bassier by quite a bit.

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #266 of 1,047
Even though I've had the ATH-MSR7b for 6 months, they only got some significant listening time lately - boy, do they sound lovely straight out from the Pioneer XDP-30R with 3,5mm jack. Swapping the cable to the included balanced cable and adding a Fiio 4->2,5mm adapter improves it even more, again straight from the XDP-30R. For travelling it's too much of a hassle, so then it's 3,5mm (so I can use it on the laptop or the tablet)

Happy camper here.

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #267 of 1,047

Are you wearing glasses at all? The ear pads are less deep I believe on the 7b over the 7 and you will lose bass if the seal is not good such as when you wear glasses......no really.

Nov 12, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #268 of 1,047
Are you wearing glasses at all? The ear pads are less deep I believe on the 7b over the 7 and you will lose bass if the seal is not good such as when you wear glasses......no really.
No glasses. And moved the earpads around a lot while listening and not much change. Probably a defective pair, returned them.

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #269 of 1,047
Hello ,

Recently i ordered the new M11 pro from fiio official site.

Among these two Audio technica MSR7B and AKG K712 which will be a better match with m11 pro sound quality wise.

Any other headphones that i can purchase within this budget that are better than these?

I don't have the budget for senheisser 660s or the Hifiman Sundara.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #270 of 1,047
Both are good headphones. Soundwise, suffice to say that for me the ATH are my current favorites and I prefer them over the Meze 99 Classics. I have not heard the AKGs but was almost about to buy them. Being open, they are likely to have better soundstage compared to the ATH. Remember however that the AKGs will need much more power to drive than the ATH, even though the stated impedance for the 712 pair is 62 ohms. IMHO, sonically, H600/650/6XX trio > AKG 712 > Beyer DT 990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back