Bicycle-Fi!
Jun 21, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #31 of 4,419
Ooh bikes, sweet--something I can get into.
biggrin.gif

Current stable:
2008 specialized rockhopper disc (mainly for commuting)
2007 specialized allez elite
2006 norco shore 1
2005 s&m stricker (bmx)

Hm I never noticed the years descended.. guess I need a new bike for '09!
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #32 of 4,419
Like some of you, I'm older and rode alot when younger and did just s touch of racing. I haven't ridden in earnest for several years, but am trying to get back out there if my hips will cooperate
eek.gif

Still riding my old Raleigh 1974 RRA, full Campy NR/SR (basically the equivalent of a Pro that year). Thing is still in near-mint condition and I used to completely rebuild it at least once a year.

side1.JPG

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #33 of 4,419
Nice bike, Pars! Reminds me of my old 1972 steel Bianchi with Campy gruppo; my first decent bike.

Well the fi'zi:k pave cp saddle is working out really well, just had to lower the nose a degree or two after my hour ride this morning. Try out the Terry Beetle on my 1997 Cannondale F700. Beautiful early summer morning and no faceplant or roadrash!

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #34 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the fi'zi:k pave cp saddle is working out really well, just had to lower the nose a degree or two after my hour ride this morning. Try out the Terry Beetle on my 1997 Cannondale F700. Beautiful early summer morning and no faceplant or roadrash!

Pa, with slotted or split saddles
eek.gif
I've got a phobia about getting my stuff caught in the slot, you know like jumping out of the saddle for a sprint and having the left wedged in the slot.
I'm riding on a Selle Italia Flite Ti. After a couple of months of riding my ass is finally broke in.

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #35 of 4,419
Have a question for you bike gurus . . . as I am still a noob in bike knowledge. I had been using a mountain bike for my commute for a while, but was looking into getting a road bike instead. A friend decided to lend me his road bike since he's doing a lot of traveling for business, and can't really ride his bike much.

His bike is a Fuji aluminum frame with ultra low/thin profile tires. While my commute is in the city, the road isn't really that smooth. I am afraid that I may damage his bike wheels. Is it possible to swap it out into something a little bit "thicker"? Even fully inflated, the bike tire is no thicker than my pinkie digit (1-1.5 CM).

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #36 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by tensaichen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a question for you bike gurus . . . as I am still a noob in bike knowledge. I had been using a mountain bike for my commute for a while, but was looking into getting a road bike instead. A friend decided to lend me his road bike since he's doing a lot of traveling for business, and can't really ride his bike much.

His bike is a Fuji aluminum frame with ultra low/thin profile tires. While my commute is in the city, the road isn't really that smooth. I am afraid that I may damage his bike wheels. Is it possible to swap it out into something a little bit "thicker"? Even fully inflated, the bike tire is no thicker than my pinkie digit (1-1.5 CM).

Swapping out tires is easy. Just pop off the racing tires and put on a pair of commuters like these: Continental City Ride Tire but you have to watch out for tire/brake clearance. Sometimes the short-reach racing brakes do not have enough clearance for wider/taller tires. You might be better off putting 26" commuter tires on your MTB.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #37 of 4,419
Quote:

Is it possible to swap it out into something a little bit "thicker"? Even fully inflated, the bike tire is no thicker than my pinkie digit (1-1.5 CM).

You are right where I'm at, although I am no bike guru; I just like the things. I am in the process of putting some WTB 700X35c slicks in my Fuji road bike to make it more of a bike trail bike. If you've got the clearances, this is real "do-able" and a well thought of mod for those for whom it is appropriate. I'm having a little pause with you doing it with a borrowed bike, but you can work out that appropriateness. Softer ride, less obstacle problems. Good mod. Just not as fast.

ronin 74: My "package" does not rest on the seat so as to be endangered in the way you describe. FWTW, button Levis fans referred to the first zip pants as having"crocodile closures", but I haven't sawed into myself more than once or twice in the last forty years.
eek.gif
BTW, I have done many more memorable injuries to my clumbsy-ass self with the nose of the saddle than with any other bicycling environment element. Bicycle saddle noses should be licensed and regulated.
mad.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #38 of 4,419
Leave the tires on there, or get tires rated over 100psi. You could deliberately hit a curb and your rim won't get any damage...

Otherwise, don't worry about them. The reason a roadbike is so much better than mtb with commuter tires is less rotational weight and a smaller contact patch = less rolling resistance. Just keep the tires on there, as they're likely good enough, and you don't need to worry about rim damage.

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #39 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swapping out tires is easy. Just pop off the racing tires and put on a pair of commuters like these: Continental City Ride Tire but you have to watch out for tire/brake clearance. Sometimes the short-reach racing brakes do not have enough clearance for wider/taller tires. You might be better off putting 26" commuter tires on your MTB.

How do you tell if a certain set of tires is compatible with your rims/frame? The current tires on the bike are Continental Ultra Sport 700x23C.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #40 of 4,419
700c is the diameter of your rim, so you need 700c tires.

Current stable:

caad8cc5.jpg

50cm 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 frame
Dura Ace Drivetrain (photo is of 50/36 compact cranks and 12-23 cassette, but I've swapped to a 13-25 cassette for the hills around Vermont).
Ritchey WCS bars, stem, post
Specialized Toupe 130 saddle
The heavy stock Shimano wheels need to go, but I keep spending my money on other stuff.

n90400965321456845145py9.jpg

Chromed track frame of unknown lineage.
Dura Ace/Velocity Aerohead wheels (single-sided fixed)
48t Sugino crank with 19t EAI cog

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #42 of 4,419
I have a MTB similar to the one on the picture. Mine is an older model without disc brakes. Love it.

Helium.jpg

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #43 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by hmai18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

n90400965321456845145py9.jpg

Chromed track frame of unknown lineage.
Dura Ace/Velocity Aerohead wheels (single-sided fixed)
48t Sugino crank with 19t EAI cog

eek.gif

PURE SEX.

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #45 of 4,419
Quote:

How do you tell if a certain set of tires is compatible with your rims/frame? The current tires on the bike are Continental Ultra Sport 700x23C.

Tensai,
I'm riding Continental Ultra Gatorskin Tires - 700 x 23
for commuting. When you mentioned "no thicker than my pinkie digit" I was thinking 700x19 tires, the current Contis should do just fine, I think they're rated to 110 psi. Damn, your pinkie must be as big as my thumb!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back