Campfire Audio Chromatic Series
Sep 25, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #16 of 466
I like that Campfire has expanded their lineup with IEMs at different price points, but I sure do hope that their existing lineup of Andromeda and Solaris is alive and well.

I can’t seem to get an answer from Campfire in terms of the tunings of these IEMs compared to their higher end counterparts.

It would be nice if they were just slightly refined versions of Andromeda and Solaris 2020, as to my ears those are still great IEMs.

I do love that they added color variants, but these are a little… cheap looking? I’m sure in person they look nicer, but after they had the purple and moonstone variants of Supermoon last year, I really wish they went with something along the line of those colors.

Patiently waiting for reviews to come in.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #17 of 466
Classic head-fi - pricier SSH and AES were too pricey and the cheaper Chromatic Series looks too cheap, eh?

Sep 25, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #18 of 466
I’ve never felt Stellar Horizon or Emerald Sea to be too expensive for how good they sounded to my ears. I also find them some of the most beautiful IEMs I’ve seen. I don’t think I ever said they were too pricey?

I definitely like that they put a lot of thought into this more affordable line of IEMs!

I should have clarified much better though, I don’t find the shells to look cheap, just some of the color options. In fact, I’m a fan of these shells. I honestly like the green Ponderosa and orange Supermoon. My preference for the Bonneville and Cascara are just not as well received… but hey, they also make them in black! But I do reserve judgment until I see them in person.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #19 of 466
The bad thing for consumers is that IF these new versions do indeed REPLACE the previous models, that often makes the previous models retain or even increase in value, because they are no longer produced. I love my 2020 Dorado, and wish it was not quite so "dark", but now am thinking that the 2020 Solaris prices probably won't come down to a comfortable place for me.

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #21 of 466
anyone know what the Supermoon is supposed to sound like?
I have a Supermoon. I don’t believe this new version is different from the version I bought last year.

It’s balanced, with a slight emphasis in the lows and highs. Very, very fast precise bass. Mids are full and lush. I personally like the Supermoon for analytical listening.

Although they are sensitive, I feel like they require a bit of power to really shine.

Oct 3, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #23 of 466
Not personally, but some people on the SoCal CanJam thread have. So far, tuning is indeed different than Solaris and it’s getting pretty good praise. I’m excited to try it out one of these days.

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #24 of 466
I wonder if the dynamic driver used in Bonneville or Cascara still is ADLC driver.

No it's a different DD that they have developed.

I have a Supermoon. I don’t believe this new version is different from the version I bought last year.

I asked Caleb at the show and he said the Chromatic Supermoon is the same in tuning as earlier versions.

anyone hear the Bonneville yet?

I did and it was a show highlight in SoCal for me. I'll copy some of my impressions here:

"Campfire Audio turned up with their new "chromatic" series". This is the first CanJam I've been to where the brand has actually been present, which was a nice surprise. I was originally going to pass over these IEMs but I decided to sit down and listen to the Bonneville and Cascara (sp?). The latter is a decent $500 single DD with typical CFA bass driven sound. More technical and better extended than I was expecting. Not something I need but a solid bass-dominant single DD at its price point. The Bonneville, which I pre-judged as a Solaris clone, totally knocked my socks off. It's similar to the Solaris in its staging, technicals and timbre, but it's got more and arguably better bass, and is less fatiguing up top. This IEM I think finally earns the title "Andromeda with bass". A tremendously fun and engaging listen and one that was not even on my radar heading into ths show."

385324735_10168356641395654_3215527918540495228_n.jpg

"I tried the Bonneville again and became even more infatuated with it-- preferring it even to the VE10 on day 2. Incidentlly, according to Caleb, it contains a new bass driver they have just developed. I was even able to secure a purchase of one of the floor units of the Bonneville, with a full purple complement. I officially have the first of these out in the wild as it's not officially released for a couple weeks yet."

382603510_10168356645035654_6170673637724917997_n.jpg

"Yeah the Bonneville is stupidly good. I almost passed over it thinking it was a Solaris rehash due to the driver config…but it is eminently its own thing. Its charm is its near perfect balance of fun and musical, something of a CFA hallmark but they’ve never nailed it so well as here. No peaks or fatigue, bass mids and treble all solid. Mids and bass in particular are excellent. Caleb said they didn’t nail the tuning until they had a breakthrough like 2 days before the show. It feels a little surreal to be the only person on earth outside of CFA headquarters to have one of these. I’ve been listening to it straight since I arrived at LAX 5 hours ago and it hasn’t hit a false note yet for me. This set has pretty much nerfed my desire for a handful of much more expensive sets I heard this weekend. Nicely done, CFA. Nicely done."

C4287732-E02E-4774-BDC0-7842EF584279.jpeg

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #25 of 466
Rockwell75, thanks for coming through with impressions! Hearing this solidifies the Bonneville as the IEM I want to hear the most.

It's crazy they didn't nail the tuning until 2 days before the show. Holy cow!

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #26 of 466
So you say it's close to "Andromeda with bass", I'm guessing this is the classic pre 2020 Andromeda sound you are comparing it to? Very intriguing!

Oct 3, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #27 of 466
So you say it's close to "Andromeda with bass", I'm guessing this is the classic pre 2020 Andromeda sound you are comparing it to? Very intriguing!

Both...sorta. OG Andromeda had rich lower mids/mid-bass bump (some even called it "hazy") as well as great clarity in the vocals and upper end sparkle. 2020 Andro cleaned up the mids but lost the top end sparkle. It's defining quality to me (whatever the version) was always its nice mix of "fun and technical" sound. The bass was always lacking however. Solaris came out and wasn't quite an Andro to those that loved Andro the most and had a bass response that was quite reserved. The Bonneville to me takes all of those qualities of Andromeda-- great mids, clear vocals, decently technical, good bombastic fun factor that doesn't crowd out the mids, tremendous bass quality and good top end clarity. It's got a rich/warmish tilt to the sound but, again, great clarity in the mids and vocals. People allergic to bass/mid-bass may not like it but I think it will appeal to a good number of people who due to its versatility/fun factor/impressively technical sound. I hope I'm not over selling it but the more time I spend with it the more it's winning me over.

Oct 3, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #28 of 466
Both...sorta. OG Andromeda had rich lower mids/mid-bass bump (some even called it "hazy") as well as great clarity in the vocals and upper end sparkle. 2020 Andro cleaned up the mids but lost the top end sparkle. It's defining quality to me (whatever the version) was always its nice mix of "fun and technical" sound. The bass was always lacking however. Solaris came out and wasn't quite an Andro to those that loved Andro the most and had a bass response that was quite reserved. The Bonneville to me takes all of those qualities of Andromeda-- great mids, clear vocals, decently technical, good bombastic fun factor that doesn't crowd out the mids, tremendous bass quality and good top end clarity. It's got a rich/warmish tilt to the sound but, again, great clarity in the mids and vocals. People allergic to bass/mid-bass may not like it but I think it will appeal to a good number of people who due to its versatility/fun factor/impressively technical sound. I hope I'm not over selling it but the more time I spend with it the more it's winning me over.
Hey! I’m looking at dorado 2020 or the new Bonneville? Curious about the mid/sub bass between the two? Thank you!

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #30 of 466
Hey! I’m looking at dorado 2020 or the new Bonneville? Curious about the mid/sub bass between the two? Thank you!
I have the Dorado 2020, but not the new Bonneville. To my ear, the Dorado has super sub-bass, slightly recessed mids, and sparkling highs. The main thing is that the bass & lower mids (150-600K region) is fairly prominent -- it's clean and clear and not muddy, just a darker tilt to it overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back