Campfire Audio Chromatic Series
Oct 4, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #31 of 466
I have the Dorado 2020, but not the new Bonneville. To my ear, the Dorado has super sub-bass, slightly recessed mids, and sparkling highs. The main thing is that the bass & lower mids (150-600K region) is fairly prominent -- it's clean and clear and not muddy, just a darker tilt to it overall.
I appreciate it thank you! Trying to decide between the two.

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #32 of 466
Really looking for a Bonneville vs Tia Trio comparison (since a used Trio is about the same price as a new Bonneville).
Wondering if Bonneville have the same bass quality as Trio with this new DD driver from CFA....

Oct 5, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #34 of 466
Oct 6, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #36 of 466
I've been LOVING the CFA Bonneville. For an IEM that wasn't even on my radar heading into CanJam it's been entirely dominating my listening for the past week. I'll go out on a limb and say this is the most universally appealing, emotionally engaging and technically competent IEM CFA has released in while, maybe ever. The tuning is magnificent, straddling big satisfying bass, clear well textured mids and smooth and airy treble and a generally very competent sound without any of the "quirks" that some of their past IEMs have been criticized for (harsh up top, dips in the mids etc.). I ejoyed this much more than the Stellar Horizon and a good number of other IEMs that cost north of $2k. IT is a steal at the price they've pegged it at.

384186604_10168371858860654_132018338378250246_n.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #37 of 466
Honestly Bonneville may be my next IEM. Hearing that it may be one of CFA’s most engaging IEM sounds so damn promising.

Oct 7, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #38 of 466
Rockwell, I’m sure a lot of people have been asking you for comparisons… but how do you compare it to Stellar Horizon? What would you say are the main differences tuning wise?

Oct 7, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #39 of 466
Honestly Bonneville may be my next IEM. Hearing that it may be one of CFA’s most engaging IEM sounds so damn promising.

Not necessarily "most engaging"-- I would still say Trifecta for that. Bonneville is I think their best combo of "most engaging" and "universally likeable". Trifecta, as much as I love it, I would not consider it universally likeable.

Rockwell, I’m sure a lot of people have been asking you for comparisons… but how do you compare it to Stellar Horizon? What would you say are the main differences tuning wise?

Stellar Horizon has what I might call a "more mature"/neutral tuning and as such it is more in the line with the typical Solaris tuning gestalt. Bonneville has a more prominent low end (without muddying or crowding out the mids) but it also doesn't veer towards harshness or metallic timbre up top which the Stellar Horizon can.

Oct 7, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #40 of 466
Not necessarily "most engaging"-- I would still say Trifecta for that. Bonneville is I think their best combo of "most engaging" and "universally likeable". Trifecta, as much as I love it, I would not consider it universally likeable.

Stellar Horizon has what I might call a "more mature"/neutral tuning and as such it is more in the line with the typical Solaris tuning gestalt. Bonneville has a more prominent low end (without muddying or crowding out the mids) but it also doesn't veer towards harshness or metallic timbre up top which the Stellar Horizon can.
May i know how Bonneville sounds on your RS8, does it sound better compared to SR35?

Oct 11, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #41 of 466
I found it closest to Andromeda 2020, more clarity than the Solstice without the extra sparkly high end of the original.

I actually find the Pondersa closer to the 2016 Campfire Vega rather than the OG Andromeda. More V-shape for sure. Bonneville is closer to Andromeda OG with its holographic imaging and somewhat similar tuning but with a more elevated subbass presence. Midbass is about the same intensity between the two

Oct 11, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #42 of 466
I setup an appointment with CFA next month when I’m in Portland to try out these new IEMs. Very excited for Bonneville!

Oct 11, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #43 of 466
I actually find the Pondersa closer to the 2016 Campfire Vega rather than the OG Andromeda. More V-shape for sure. Bonneville is closer to Andromeda OG with its holographic imaging and somewhat similar tuning but with a more elevated subbass presence. Midbass is about the same intensity between the two
I have never heard the original andromeda, which in this hobby is a shame, I know. But I know how widely praised it was. I also crave nice solid physical bass. At one point I owned an andromeda gold and found the bass just didnt have that physicality I like. I then picked up the solaris 2020 as I was hoping it would kind of be like that, but with more of the bass I wanted. Bass was definitely lacking there for my preferences. I also found them quite uncomfortable.

So, based on a few impressions, the bonneville now seems like it might be the andromeda with bass and that has me very interested. I am also very curious about the new shell style. I dont often get along with "custom" shaped universals, but the campfire shells seem like they actually could work for my ears. I am thinking very hard about putting in an order when they become available.

Interesting about the ponderosa being closer to the 2016 vega. I did own that one, and the sound was big and bassy. Not sure how close it will get since its an all BA model. But also because of that it isnt really on my radar at all.

Oct 11, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #44 of 466

I didn't hear the Ponderosa but how you're describing it here suggests to me that, as with the Andromeda Emerald Sea, they are going for a warmer more analogue tilted sound with this all BA setup. I didn't feel it worked with the Emerald sea personally as I don't feel that is playing to the strengths of a BA setup YMMV.

I have never heard the original andromeda, which in this hobby is a shame, I know. But I know how widely praised it was. I also crave nice solid physical bass. At one point I owned an andromeda gold and found the bass just didnt have that physicality I like. I then picked up the solaris 2020 as I was hoping it would kind of be like that, but with more of the bass I wanted. Bass was definitely lacking there for my preferences. I also found them quite uncomfortable.

So, based on a few impressions, the bonneville now seems like it might be the andromeda with bass and that has me very interested. I am also very curious about the new shell style. I dont often get along with "custom" shaped universals, but the campfire shells seem like they actually could work for my ears. I am thinking very hard about putting in an order when they become available.

Interesting about the ponderosa being closer to the 2016 vega. I did own that one, and the sound was big and bassy. Not sure how close it will get since its an all BA model. But also because of that it isnt really on my radar at all.

It's almost a cliche at this point but "Andromeda with bass" is what first came to mind for me when hearing the Bonneville. I really think this might finally be the true spiritual successor to Andromeda that people have long sought but never received.

Oct 11, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #45 of 466
I didn't hear the Ponderosa but how you're describing it here suggests to me that, as with the Andromeda Emerald Sea, they are going for a warmer more analogue tilted sound with this all BA setup. I didn't feel it worked with the Emerald sea personally as I don't feel that is playing to the strengths of a BA setup YMMV.

It's almost a cliche at this point but "Andromeda with bass" is what first came to mind for me when hearing the Bonneville. I really think this might finally be the true spiritual successor to Andromeda that people have long sought but never received.
You really are a terrible influence and my wallet is not going to be pleased with you. Campfire should probably be be giving you a cut of sales.

Anyways, I was checking out campfires website and even though they originally had a late october ship date listed and preorders werent supposed to open for another week or so, it now seems as if they are available to order and ship now. So the big questions now are... Essential or deluxe? I still mostly just use my mojo 2, so deluxe feels like its overkill as I dont need the extra cables. But the bigger question is... black or purple? I feel like black is likely what I would choose, but like you, theres a part of me that almost feels like purple is the color, so it should be purple. Only problem is that selecting purple pops up a message that says made to order and will add 1 to 2 weeks to the ship time.... what to do what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back