Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Feb 24, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #841 of 2,287
This was one of those nights where the whole chain clicked with a particular album:

Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds- Live at Luther College FLAC > Soekris dac2541 > Cayin HA-3A (RCA 6V6 GTY, RCA Clear Tops, Sylvania 22DE4) > ZMF Atrium

I personally find the Atrium likes a bit leaner tube combination since it already has such a wonderfully warm and punchy sound signature already. This tube combo has basically no bloom but still maintains that mid-bass punch. And wow the detail of the finger-plucking and sense of space is just out of this world. The gear just disappears and you feel like you are at that performance.

PXL_20230224_045907254.jpg

Feb 24, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #842 of 2,287
I have now made the order for the Cayin HA-3A in black and it will hopefully arrive on Monday, I am also getting my Lyr + replaced so I will be able to compare both.

I would appreciate if you could let me know your favorite tube combos for this amp as I will need to start looking for tubes.

Feb 24, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #843 of 2,287
This was one of those nights where the whole chain clicked with a particular album:

Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds- Live at Luther College FLAC > Soekris dac2541 > Cayin HA-3A (RCA 6V6 GTY, RCA Clear Tops, Sylvania 22DE4) > ZMF Atrium

I personally find the Atrium likes a bit leaner tube combination since it already has such a wonderfully warm and punchy sound signature already. This tube combo has basically no bloom but still maintains that mid-bass punch. And wow the detail of the finger-plucking and sense of space is just out of this world. The gear just disappears and you feel like you are at that performance.

PXL_20230224_045907254.jpg
I have nearly the same combo running. Soekris 2541 -> HA-3A -> Auteur OG. :)

Feb 24, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #844 of 2,287
I would appreciate if you could let me know your favorite tube combos for this amp as I will need to start looking for tubes.
I found, that recommending tube combinations is difficult, because tubes are a fine tuning tool to your system and preference. Even if your preferred sound signature is close to someone else's, you might reach a similar result with your headphones and DAC using different tubes. The truth is, there is no straightforward answer and you have to experiment with a few combinations to find your favoured set.

That said, I found the Mullard M8136 CV4003 the best 12AU7 for my needs so far as it has a good body while retains clarity and a well defined low end. I would love to try the Philips Holland ECC82 though as that seems quite popular as well. From 6V6 tubes the RCA sounded the most neutral so far followed by the Fivre with a little warmth and the Brimar being the warmest out of these. Both the RCA and Fivre sound more open in the upper mids and treble, but none of them has the bass punch and low-end definition of the Brimar so I personally prefer the latter. There are dozens of great 6V6 options out there and I am yet to discover more myself.

To fund my further discoveries I am selling the RCA and Fivre 6V6s here on Head-Fi (along with some RCA 22DE4) rectifiers if anyone is interested (PM me).

Feb 25, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #845 of 2,287
I have nearly the same combo running. Soekris 2541 -> HA-3A -> Auteur OG. :)
There is obviously an overlap with fans of Soekris, Cayin and ZMF. I am using the 2541 -> HA-3A -> Verite Closed.

Feb 25, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #846 of 2,287
Someone recommended the Siemens 5814a long plate triple mica to me... It took a while to find one (NOS). Not easy to come by at all but eventually I found one sealed in its original box from the early 1970's. I do like my Mullard m8136 tubes but for now, the Siemens has stolen the top spot. It is an amazing tube. That said, I intend to roll them every month or so so I get that oh, that sounds different feeling again!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #847 of 2,287
I've read this thread more than 2 times now and is overwhelmed by the amount of information on tube rolling. I am unsure how to start as the synergy of different tubes plays a big role on how the amp sounds. For example: 12au7 RCA grey play, clear top, o getter, d getter, triple mica. I am confused. There are so many of these variations and I dont know which one to get.

Can you guys pls suggest some budget friendly (cheaper) tube combinations for this amp which is a decent upgrade from the stock? I need something preferably towards the warmer side.

Feb 27, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #848 of 2,287
Anyone had any experience with upgrading from HA -3A to HA-6A? Worth the hassle? I mean triode mode is nice but 1k+ nice? Any other major benefits?

Feb 27, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #849 of 2,287
Anyone had any experience with upgrading from HA -3A to HA-6A? Worth the hassle? I mean triode mode is nice but 1k+ nice? Any other major benefits?
Is the 3A triode or ultra linear mode?

Feb 27, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #851 of 2,287
Feb 27, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #852 of 2,287
Wish I knew..

Whats your opinion comparing HA-3A to 6A? 6A worth upgrading?
Not worth upgrading if you like playing with tubes, you can find a similar tuning to 6A with let's say GL KT88 with the right tubes, like I did

HA-6A is a total beast, different league to 3A with KT88 and EL34 plus the 2 sounding modes. If it had normal potentiometer or 64/128 steps one it would be another best seller for Cayin but with 24 steps only I was going loud at step 3 and some hum due to so much power

Feb 27, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #853 of 2,287
Not worth upgrading if you like playing with tubes, you can find a similar tuning to 6A with let's say GL KT88 with the right tubes, like I did

HA-6A is a total beast, different league to 3A with KT88 and EL34 plus the 2 sounding modes. If it had normal potentiometer or 64/128 steps one it would be another best seller for Cayin but with 24 steps only I was going loud at step 3 and some hum due to so much power
Sounds like it requires a preamp.. Got a Holo Bliss coming in and not sure if I should keep HA-3A since I could negate the biggest problem of HA-6A with Bliss as preamp... In the same time not sure if it would be sonically an meaningful upgrade to HA-3A in the first place (rolling tubes for HA-3A and found some great combinations and finally got it deadsilent with Holo May and some aftermarket power cables). Choices haha

Feb 27, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #854 of 2,287
Feb 27, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #855 of 2,287
Why do you need a downgrade in sound quality?
I enjoy to have options. Fast solid state with great stage, clarity and resolution and a good liquid sounding, warmish tube amp :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back