Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Oct 20, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #32 of 4,108
I can feel the N5ii coming closer to me. Maybe not in distance, yet, but in time. I look forward to it, oh so much!

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #33 of 4,108
I can feel the N5ii coming closer to me. Maybe not in distance, yet, but in time. I look forward to it, oh so much!

Indeed they are. :beerchug:

We have the DAP beta units ready on 17th, unfortunately the package material was rejected by QA and we are waiting for the new batch of package material right now, it should arrive on Monday morning, we'll ship out the Beta units on Monday afternoon if things goes smoothly.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 21, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #34 of 4,108
Indeed they are. :beerchug:

We have the DAP beta units ready on 17th, unfortunately the package material was rejected by QA and we are waiting for the new batch of package material right now, it should arrive on Monday morning, we'll ship out the Beta units on Monday afternoon if things goes smoothly.

After so long a development, and so many delays and tragedies, I imagine you are insanely eager to see the end of this race, and release Cayin's newest masterpiece. And yet, not until every detail meets your standards. Must require great patience.

Oct 21, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #35 of 4,108
After so long a development, and so many delays and tragedies, I imagine you are insanely eager to see the end of this race, and release Cayin's newest masterpiece. And yet, not until every detail meets your standards. Must require great patience.

I wish the world is as beautiful as you have suggested. :sweat:

Yes, we are struggling to get it out, but the struggling will far from complete when we send out the beta unit, maybe we can all it the beginning of the end, :grin:

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #36 of 4,108
I wish the world is as beautiful as you have suggested. :sweat:

Yes, we are struggling to get it out, but the struggling will far from complete when we send out the beta unit, maybe we can all it the beginning of the end, :grin:

Yes, the beta unit won't be the end of anything. I was thinking more about the final release. But even that, I guess, I will not see an end to all turmoil. :wink:

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #39 of 4,108
According to the specs, just the one. Otherwise it would have an "X2" next to it. The OpAmps indicate 3, the microSD shows 2. But no such marking next to the DAC.

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #40 of 4,108
According to the specs, just the one. Otherwise it would have an "X2" next to it. The OpAmps indicate 3, the microSD shows 2. But no such marking next to the DAC.

Thank You! I'm in the process of looking at DAPS. I am definitely considering the Cayin I5 or Cayin N5 but I think I may be willing to wait until early December for this new offering. Would you by chance happen to know how much of an impact there is to sound using balanced output when comparing 1 dac to 2x dac systems? Maybe this is impossible to answer well.. Excuse me if that is the case. I know the amp portion is extremely important as well here.

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #41 of 4,108
Thank You! I'm in the process of looking at DAPS. I am definitely considering the Cayin I5 or Cayin N5 but I think I may be willing to wait until early December for this new offering. Would you by chance happen to know how much of an impact there is to sound using balanced output when comparing 1 dac to 2x dac systems? Maybe this is impossible to answer well.. Excuse me if that is the case. I know the amp portion is extremely important as well here.
That is impossible to answer until Pinky receives his unit. It's in transit anyhow.

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #42 of 4,108

I have had the opportunity to listen extensively to a great many DAPs. In my experience, the best sound comes not from dual DACs, but from superior implementation. While my best DAP is a duel-DAC setup, I have listened to other duel-DAC players that sound less impressive than some of my single-DAC players.

It all comes down to how well they use the DAC. And that is only discernible by listening to the player.

I have no fears about the N5ii only possessing one DAC, and I look forward to discovering how well Cayin has implemented their Sabre DAC.

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #43 of 4,108

I can confirm that the N5ii use one piece of ESS9018k2m DAC chipset.

I'll thrown in some general opinion but please be reminded that I work for Cayin, so you must take the conflict of interest factor into consideration.

If you are comparing 2x9018k2m vs 1x9018k2m, or 2xAK4490 vs 1xAK4490, and assume the DAC is implemented correctly, then I can tell you that it does matters, but not as significant as the marketing campaign has implied. Because N5ii is balanced amplified already, so you have more current, better control, separation, darker background and overhead already, so the dual chip option will grant you improve dynamic, SN ratio and channel seperation. One issue that I want to clarify is that you won't have more detail or higher resolution because of dual chip configuration, you might have heard more detail but I believe that's because of other improvements I have listed above that contribute to the "more detail" impression.

However, if you were to compare 1xESS9018k2m vs 2xAK4490, then the difference of DAC characteristics probably will be overwhelmed then the single vs dual chip scenario. ESS9018k2m is famous for its high resolution and it dies offered better specification (dynamic range, SN ratio, channel seperation) over AK4490. The common problem is 9018K2M sound cold and edging, but whether Cayin can take that characteristics? I think we better wait for the impression of the beta testers, I seldom comment on the subjective part of my products.

For the record, 1xESS9018k2m is more expensive then 2xAK4490, we could have take the advantage of the marketing norm, save some money from production and gain more sales.

Last edited:

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #44 of 4,108
For the record, 1xESS9018k2m is more expensive then 2xAK4490, we could have take the advantage of the marketing norm, save some money from production and gain more sales.

Oh Andy, you make me so happy. :D

The "cold factor" is indeed my one and only concern. But I've seen Sabre implemented so very well in my Opus#2, and my NFB-28, that I have great faith Cayin knows what to do. Cayin's house sound is, after all, warm and robust these days. I suspect you are well aware of the dangers, and are steering clear of them. :wink:

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #45 of 4,108
I can confirm that the N5ii use one piece of ESS9018k2m DAC chipset.

I'll thrown in some general opinion but please be reminded that I work for Cayin, so you must take the conflict of interest factor into consideration.

If you are comparing 2x9018k2m vs 1x9018k2m, or 2xAK4490 vs 1xAK4490, and assume the DAC is implemented correctly, then I can tell you that it does matters, but not as significant as the marketing campaign has implied. Because N5ii is balanced amplified already, so you have more current, better control, separation, darker background and overhead already, so the dual chip option will grant you improve dynamic, SN ratio and channel seperation. One issue that I want to clarify is that you won't have more detail or higher resolution because of dual chip configuration, you might have heard more detail but I believe that's because of other improvements I have listed above that contribute to the "more detail" impression.

However, if you were to compare 1xESS9018k2m vs 2xAK4490, then the difference of DAC characteristics probably will be overwhelmed then the single vs dual chip scenario. ESS9018k2m is famous for its high resolution and it dies offered better specification (dynamic range, SN ratio, channel seperation) over AK4490. The common problem is 9018K2M sound cold and edging, but whether Cayin can take that characteristics? I think we better wait for the impression of the beta testers, I seldom comment on the subjective part of my products.

Aune M1S is perfect proof of this, it only uses one ESS 9018K2M. Now other audiophiles will disagree. But we've had tons of devices that only use one DAC and sound phenominal. If a designer concentrates all their ability and skill into a small focus, it would be well designed.

For instance, i5 did not need a balanced output. If Cayin threw their resources into designing a proper SE circuit. @Andykong was right in his other post in i5 thread that there is no need to waste money on more amp boards for a balanced (bridged amps into a push/pull configuration, unless there's proof of a well designed inverted +/- differential amp in the dap). For instance if designing a dap for $300, how much of the funds do you want to go to these extra amp boards? or other things you can put the funds to. A strong single Amp would cost less. You can focus on other parts of the dap that matter more.

But I see cayin managed to do balanced circuit design in the n5ii. Let's see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back