Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Oct 23, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #46 of 4,108
I just hope gain is implemented well that it should at least be quiet on sensitive iems on low gain. The original N5 hiss a lot. The N5ii desihn looks like an AK1xxII. It's cool and It's Android so can install 3rd party apps. I believe the latest version of Neutron and Hiby can bypass Androids SRC

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #47 of 4,108
Can't believe I missed this thread, Brother @PinkyPowers!

I'll be one of your Brothers in Arms testing out the new N5. Looks like it should be delivered to me at work on Tuesday. Too bad my day is jam-packed full of meetings and interviews. Guess I'll have to wait until I get home to play with it.

Amongst the many DAPs I have on hand are Cayin N3, N5, and i5. I'm listening to i5 a lot right now and consider it one of my favorite sounding DAPs, not only in that price bracket but overall. Such good tuning. I'm making sure they're all charged up and ready to go to see how they all compare against each other. I can compare against other DAPs in my arsenal, too. Just let me know what you all would like to see compared.

One thing to note is that these are pre-production units, so there might be some small changes between now and final production. Once the final production model arrives later this year, we'll be able to provide more solid comparisons.

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #48 of 4,108

I'll be one of your Brothers in Arms testing out the new N5. Looks like it should be delivered to me at work on Tuesday. Too bad my day is jam-packed full of meetings and interviews. Guess I'll have to wait until I get home to play with it.

Amongst the many DAPs I have on hand are Cayin N3, N5, and i5. I'm listening to i5 a lot right now and consider it one of my favorite sounding DAPs, not only in that price bracket but overall. Such good tuning. I'm making sure they're all charged up and ready to go to see how they all compare against each other. I can compare against other DAPs in my arsenal, too. Just let me know what you all would like to see compared.

One thing to note is that these are pre-production units, so there might be some small changes between now and final production. Once the final production model arrives later this year, we'll be able to provide more solid comparisons.
Me too! I also really like i5 a lot!! I've been using it everyday!

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #49 of 4,108

My Beta unit has left Customs, and looks like it should be here Monday! :D

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #51 of 4,108
N5II & Fourte 03.jpg

First impressions are VERY positive. Smooth, warm, and tremendously resolving.

The Sabre coldness has been utterly tamed.

Back.jpg

Case 01.jpg

Case 03.jpg

Case 02.jpg

N5II & Fourte 01.jpg

Attachments

• N5II & Fourte 02.jpg
    N5II & Fourte 02.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #52 of 4,108

Ok, guess the main thing for many people...is it better than the I5.

Love the I5 but always keen for better, was waiting to see if this is the one.

Any lag with folders, images showing up, the 1gig RAM in the I5 seemed to hamper it a little.

Thanks

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #54 of 4,108
Any ideas on price ?

None that I have heard yet.

From my listening thus far, I would say right around $500 would be fair.

Ok, guess the main thing for many people...is it better than the I5.

Love the I5 but always keen for better, was waiting to see if this is the one.

Any lag with folders, images showing up, the 1gig RAM in the I5 seemed to hamper it a little.

Thanks

It's a bit early for me to have developed any conclusive thoughts. It doesn't sound like the i5, though. I have it burning-in right now to see if it changes.

Out of the box, I'd put the N5 at closer to neutral than the i5. Still on the warm side, though. Just not as warm. Something like this...

X marks the spot.

N5II
Bright>>>>>Neutral>>X>>>Warm

i5
Bright>>>>>Neutral>>>>X>Warm

The N5 seems to have a cleaner, clearer sound.

Again, I reserve the right to change my mind after burn-in and after I've listened more.

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #56 of 4,108

Welcome Nikolaus, the two beta testers finally meet.

The i5 is also my day-to-day choice of DAP, I have tried the HiByLink + N3 for a while and decided I want to keep my mobile phone and DAP completely separated, but that's a personal preference.

We have one more round of PCM layout after the beta unit, the focus of attention was improving the wireless implementation such as reducing WiFi interference and extending Bluetooth range. The sound signature of Beta should be very close to the production unit when you turn off all the wireless feature.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 30, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #58 of 4,108
I wish I still had my AK120II on-hand to do a side-by-side shot. Because these two units are so much alike. Right down to the same crocodile print leather case.

More than once today I picked up the N5II and thought, "Oh, this is all too familiar."

U12 & AK120ii 04.jpg

N5II & Fourte 01.jpg

If you're wondering if that's a good thing or a bad thing, one need only read my review of the AK120II to know for sure. :wink:

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #59 of 4,108

Wow, Tia Fourte with plusSound X-Series GPC Litz 2.5mm Balanced, that's around 10 times the cost of N5ii, I'll call that a treat to our N5ii.

Glad you agree with me that Cayin has pay special attention to the sound signature of ESS9018K2m and it is different from most implementation in the market.

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #60 of 4,108
Any ideas on price ?

We are still waiting for comment from our sales network, but it will be US$400 or below, so it is priced below the i5 quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back