Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Oct 22, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #8,116 of 8,196
Which is exactly why it remains completely useful in today's market. There's no other portable r2r DAP today that can be had for less. R01 is a little miracle.

N7 sounds beautiful, I thought a step up from R01, but not a giant step up, and not enough to upgrade. Size isn't that important to me, but more power is.

Does the release of N30 replace the n8 line as flagship such that you will not release an n8iii?
While I paid full price for the Ti, it's my travel carry and I probably will never sell it. Still use the same old UAPP on it from my first purchase and it's decently fast. Not annoying anyway.
Tell Google to never update unless the certs are expired or streaming stops working for you (UAPP is much less resource intensive than the streaming parent apps) and you'll enjoy it for years to come.
Let's be fair, HiBy RS6 is a cheaper R2R DAP. :sweat_smile:

If you compare N6iiTi vs N7, you are paying 15% more and you have a fully balanced discrete DAC (R01 is a single-ended DAC), the discrete LPF in N7 will offer a much better DAC output stage, which will improve the phone out as well as enables us to implement Line Out and Pre-out in N7, and that is something not available. Yes, you can add an A02 for your N6ii-Ti, but then you are paying more than N7 already. Even with the non-Ti version, the price of N6ii with A02+R01 or E02+R01 is close enough to N7. So they are in fact products at the same price range. If you factor in other updates such as a faster CPU with Android 12, a larger battery, and a better screen, the N7 is indeed a decent package for those who enjoy N6ii and are looking for an update (since 2019).

The N30LE has consumed some of the high-end consumer resources in the Cayin community, so it will delay our future development of non-limited-edition TOTL DAPs, but it won't stop us from moving forward. Cayin didn't update our product as frequently as our competitors, so you need to be very patient if you are waiting for the next generation product, be it entry-level like N3, mid-level like N6/N7, or the TOTL flagships.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 23, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #8,117 of 8,196

If you compare N6iiTi vs N7, you are paying 15% more and you have a fully balanced discrete DAC (R01 is a single-ended DAC), the discrete LPF in N7 will offer a much better DAC output stage, which will improve the phone out as well as enables us to implement Line Out and Pre-out in N7, and that is something not available. Yes, you can add an A02 for your N6ii-Ti, but then you are paying more than N7 already. Even with the non-Ti version, the price of N6ii with A02+R01 or E02+R01 is close enough to N7. So they are in fact products at the same price range. If you factor in other updates such as a faster CPU with Android 12, a larger battery, and a better screen, the N7 is indeed a decent package for those who enjoy N6ii and are looking for an update (since 2019).

The N30LE has consumed some of the high-end consumer resources in the Cayin community, so it will delay our future development of non-limited-edition TOTL DAPs, but it won't stop us from moving forward. Cayin didn't update our product as frequently as our competitors, so you need to be very patient if you are waiting for the next generation product, be it entry-level like N3, mid-level like N6/N7, or the TOTL flagships.
It's hard to argue how several of your players can outdo each other...just the way it should be! So many options now, and looking forward to your future output!

Oct 23, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #8,118 of 8,196

Fair enough, honestly good chance I'd look at a cayin n7 if I hadn't found such a good deal on an n6ii t01 (400 usd, pretty crazy) along with me already being a big fan of BB chips, and never trying t01, all the boxes got ticked haha.

Plus it has dedicated LO on the 3.5mm, I've heard before that the 4.4mm LO sounds better than the 3.5mm, but I'm confused as to why since the 3.5mm is dedicated and should be cleaner.

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #8,119 of 8,196

Thanks for the headsup.

Seems like it'll be a while before I can call a Cayin DAP my own then

Oct 23, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #8,120 of 8,196
Thanks for the headsup.

Seems like it'll be a while before I can call a Cayin DAP my own then

When something that is obvious as black on white, talk sensibly seems to be the best way out. :beerchug:

Oct 23, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #8,121 of 8,196
Fair enough, honestly good chance I'd look at a cayin n7 if I hadn't found such a good deal on an n6ii t01 (400 usd, pretty crazy) along with me already being a big fan of BB chips, and never trying t01, all the boxes got ticked haha.

Plus it has dedicated LO on the 3.5mm, I've heard before that the 4.4mm LO sounds better than the 3.5mm, but I'm confused as to why since the 3.5mm is dedicated and should be cleaner.

the 3.5mm line out is definitely cleaner, definitely, the 4.4mm has a higher gain. if you have a weak amp with a heavy load, the 4.4mm line out will offer a bit more driving power.

Oct 23, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #8,122 of 8,196
It's hard to argue how several of your players can outdo each other...just the way it should be! So many options now, and looking forward to your future output!
There is a Chinese saying: True strength lies not in winning others, but in winning oneself. :beerchug:

Oct 24, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #8,123 of 8,196
the 3.5mm line out is definitely cleaner, definitely, the 4.4mm has a higher gain. if you have a weak amp with a heavy load, the 4.4mm line out will offer a bit more driving power.
Question, I've read some people here preferring the 4.4 line out of the T01 over 3.5mm, but i'm guessing that it might be because the amp itself had both 3.5mm and 4.4mm options, and the 4.4mm was simply better on the amp, is it safe to say that with a dedicated 3.5mm amp from geshelli, the 3.5mm line out will be the better option?

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #8,125 of 8,196
I wonder, is there a way to install the cayin N8's firmware on the n6ii? are there any custom firmwares that are either non-android based or Purist-like for the n6ii?
The two DAP uses different CPU, there is no way to exchange the firmware line you suggested.

Besides you can't even install other Android based DAP firmware to N6ii even when they used tge same CPU. The N6ii is unique because the firmware need to identify different Audio Motherboard and remember yur settings in each motherboard, something you won't find in other DAP.

Last edited:

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #8,126 of 8,196
The two DAP uses different CPU, there is no way to exchange the firmware line you suggested.

Besides you can't even install other Android based DAP firmware to N6ii even when they used tge same CPU. The N6ii is unique because the firmware need to identify different Audio Motherboard and remember yur settings in each motherboard, something you won't find in other DAP.
Thanks, guess I'll just debloat to maximise battery :)

wondering, if one was to make a custom dac/amp for the n6ii, would it automatically work? or will it need a software update/tweak to recognise the new card (which would basically render it impossible)

Nov 4, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #8,128 of 8,196
Dear @Andykong may I have your input on this very strange issue please.

I just got myself an N6ii-Ti out of curiosity (I already have the N6ii with all the boards).

Out of the box, the N6ii-Ti was unable to read SDXC cards properly. When trying to play music, the player would only play the first 1 second of the music, then skipped to the next track. It was also very slow in reading the SDXC card, could only show parts of the album images, and would show the card as having 0 bytes data and 0 bytes data in File Manager.

The same SDXC card works fine in my standard N6ii, my phones, my PC, and everything else.

Then I might have accidentally found a 'dirty temporary fix' to this problem. While looking for the Android recovery mode (which is accesible by pressing down Power button + Prev Track button), I mistakenly booted up the N6ii-Ti by pressing down Power button followed by the Next Track button during the "CAYIN" screen instead. The device started up normally and was able to read the SDXC card properly at first boot only and only if the SDXC card had been inserted before while still powered off.

I tested and repeated this method several more times. Normal boot up (power button only) will always make the device unable to access the SDXC card properly. While the power button followed by next track button boot up will always make the device able to read the SDXC card properly at first boot only, but will not work after an sd card eject and reinsert.

My questions are:
1. What boot up mode is the power button followed by next track button kind? Is it a non regular boot up mode?
2. Is there any way to reset/fix the N6ii-Ti so it could boot up normally and will still be able to access the SDXC card correctly too like my standard N6ii?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #8,129 of 8,196
Dear @Andykong may I have your input on this very strange issue please.

I just got myself an N6ii-Ti out of curiosity (I already have the N6ii with all the boards).

Out of the box, the N6ii-Ti was unable to read SDXC cards properly. When trying to play music, the player would only play the first 1 second of the music, then skipped to the next track. It was also very slow in reading the SDXC card, could only show parts of the album images, and would show the card as having 0 bytes data and 0 bytes data in File Manager.

The same SDXC card works fine in my standard N6ii, my phones, my PC, and everything else.

Then I might have accidentally found a 'dirty temporary fix' to this problem. While looking for the Android recovery mode (which is accesible by pressing down Power button + Prev Track button), I mistakenly booted up the N6ii-Ti by pressing down Power button followed by the Next Track button during the "CAYIN" screen instead. The device started up normally and was able to read the SDXC card properly at first boot only and only if the SDXC card had been inserted before while still powered off.

I tested and repeated this method several more times. Normal boot up (power button only) will always make the device unable to access the SDXC card properly. While the power button followed by next track button boot up will always make the device able to read the SDXC card properly at first boot only, but will not work after an sd card eject and reinsert.

My questions are:
1. What boot up mode is the power button followed by next track button kind? Is it a non regular boot up mode?
2. Is there any way to reset/fix the N6ii-Ti so it could boot up normally and will still be able to access the SDXC card correctly too like my standard N6ii?

Thanks so much!

So the TF card slot is functioning but you have run into some software problem that stops it from working properly.

If the problem existed out of the box, did you contact the seller and ask for a refund?

You can try to reset the N6ii-Ti by going into the Android recovery mode. I suggest you perform a double wipe (Wipe data/factory reset and Wipe cache partition) by following the instructions below.

1699279269625.png

1699279285746.png

Nov 6, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #8,130 of 8,196
So the TF card slot is functioning but you have run into some software problem that stops it from working properly.

If the problem existed out of the box, did you contact the seller and ask for a refund?

You can try to reset the N6ii-Ti by going into the Android recovery mode. I suggest you perform a double wipe (Wipe data/factory reset and Wipe cache partition) by following the instructions below.

1699279269625.png
1699279285746.png
I have performed a double wipe but it did not fix the software issue with the TF card slot..

Unfortunately I realized the problem too late to be able to ask for a refund..

How about the booting up the player using Power button followed by Next Track button (during the CAYIN logo screen), why does this always fix the problem temporarily? Is this a special kind of boot up mode?

Thank you so much Andy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back