CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 28, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #9,271 of 25,917
Well, as you say, the party line from Chord has always been no firmware updates for Dave, ever.

Out of interest, where did you pick up on thoughts that the Hugo2 filters are more optimal than Dave. I have never heard any such talk and rather doubt it. What issues do you have with Dave that I have not noticed?
I have looked at the history of Hugo2, DAVE and Blu2 threads and, frustratingly, I cant find the smoking gun post. I am sure there was something from somebody that indicated, while in dialog with R.Watts - that the WTA filters were tweaked/improved with Blu2 and Hugo2. Was it for SQ or better FPGA utilization - not sure. Could have been on HeadFi or another forum. I'll keep on the lookout and let you know.

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #9,272 of 25,917
I received my Dave yesterday and am running it direct into a darTZeel NHB-108 amplifier using 50 ohm Zeel connections. I am waiting on the Blu 2 so am using an Oppo BDP-105 as a CD transport. (Optical cable) It is by far the best sound that I have ever heard. I think that the darTZeel's single transistor pair output stage lets the Dave magic through unhindered. The resolution in the bass, the sound stage, the prat, dynamics, basically everything it is undoubtedly the best DAC that I have heard. The digital volume control is fully transparent. Music is still dynamic at -40 or -50 dB. This is unprecedented in my experience. I heard the Blu 2 at the High end show in May. The main thing I noticed with it was the foot tapping timing. This I believe is one on the hardest things to achieve in a hi-fi system. Even compressed poorly recorded CDs sounded musical.

Oct 28, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #9,273 of 25,917
I have looked at the history of Hugo2, DAVE and Blu2 threads and, frustratingly, I cant find the smoking gun post. I am sure there was something from somebody that indicated, while in dialog with R.Watts - that the WTA filters were tweaked/improved with Blu2 and Hugo2. Was it for SQ or better FPGA utilization - not sure. Could have been on HeadFi or another forum. I'll keep on the lookout and let you know.

From what Rob has written on his blog, here on head-fi, he found that tweaking or redesigning (in Blu2 case) the WTA filter code produced better results than with the number of taps alone. So in effect, now, there is a Hugo2 WTA filter, DAVE WTA filter and Blu2 WTA filter. All optimised for the number of taps available in each device and memory available to the FPGA in each device. So there is no need to tweak the DAVE WTA filter as it is already optimised for the hardware and software in use.

Apologies to Rob if I have misunderstood his writings or over-simplified in this precis.

Regards
GG

Oct 30, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #9,274 of 25,917
My advice is to completely ignore the glare issue. Only one person has mentioned it. No one else that has Blu2 and Dave has a clue what he is talking about with his reports of glare due to Blu2. None of the rest of us can hear it.

Regarding the ferrites, Blu2 and Dave sound amazing straight out of the box with no fiddling or messing. I listed to Blu2Dave for weeks before ferrites were even mentioned and the sound was stunning. It is slightly more stunning now with the ferrites but that is fine tuning and is not needed if the owner doesn't want to fiddle.

Some people have had issues with drop outs but this is simply cured by using the other pair of BNC inputs on the Dave so to my mind it is a non issue.

Is Blu2Dave worth the bother? There is no bother to contend with but only buy it you want the best possible available sound from digital sources and CDs.

If not then don't bother.

Would you be able to kindly summarize what ferrites you bought, how many do you use, on what cables etc? I've been trying to gather as much info as I can on them via this thread, but the opinions seem to vary too much.

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #9,275 of 25,917
Sorry to butt in guys but I seem to be having a lot of issue with clipping from the DAVE
DAVE is currently outputting into LCD4s via WA234s + Takatsukis. No issue with direct DAVE out but upon increasing volume on Antipodes DX Gen3 I can hear a lot of distortion in my LCD4s. Have checked everything/cables etc and the headphones themselves are fine because output from DAVE seems fine.
I was in touch with Woo audio who mentioned this
"The reason you are getting some distortion could be that the DAVE is clipping the Input. CHORD chose to use "DAC mode fixes the output level to 3dB (3V
unbalanced, 6V balanced line level output)". The industry standard for unbalanced is 2V and 4V for balanced. We think the high output is to accommodate its preamplifier feature. When using as a DAC, we recommend setting the DAVE to 75% output so it doesn't clip the input of the amplifier. Use the volume control on WA234 to set the listening levels."

Now I was wondering how to set the DAVE to 75% output to follow the above recommendation?

And secondly, I am having to listen to the DAVE in preamp mode at around -10dB to avoid any noticeable clipping (it is always in the high bass sort of region like drums) - so not sure if the numbers add up to what Woo is suggesting in the first place as the DAVE is definitely nowhere near 3dB.

Thanks

Addit: As I was writing this post I realized that there is an option on the Antipodes music server to change volume. Maybe that is somehow also related to this clipping issue.

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #9,277 of 25,917
Playing around with the above variables - At the same volume (in my ears) - A fixed setting of 40% or less at Antipodes allows the DAVE between +3db-+7db in Preamp mode to prevent any clipping.
This makes no sense to me but just for reference, these are the numbers I get - Going up on the Antipodes seems to produce a lot more clipping for some reason.

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #9,279 of 25,917
Hi,

I have a question. I got chord dave on April-2107. Suddenly it stopped working. It is giving high pitch noise from output. Needless to say something going bad in 6 months makes me upset. Now i think i am in warranty, i am talking to dealer he says send me $$$ and i will send you label. Is the warranty says that customer will send himself the unit?

V

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #9,280 of 25,917
Hi,

I have a question. I got chord dave on April-2107. Suddenly it stopped working. It is giving high pitch noise from output. Needless to say something going bad in 6 months makes me upset. Now i think i am in warranty, i am talking to dealer he says send me $$$ and i will send you label. Is the warranty says that customer will send himself the unit?

V

I just ordered one and asked what if I need service. Here in the U.S., dealer obtains an RMA and the customer ships unit to North American service address (not to UK).

$100 doesn’t sound expensive given the cost of insurance, but the label or offering to ship it from the store is probably a dealer specific thing.

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #9,281 of 25,917
Hello Everyone
Just found this forum and am currently only on P129. Have had DAVE now for 3 weeks and am still blown away each day by it. Just wanted some advice re cabling for best results. I think I've worked out that input should be USB but what is the best output. My current setup is USB from Mac Mini running audirvana + with chord anthem RCA's into my Mcintosh MA5200 from DAVE. I found one really useful post that stated don't spend much at all on what goes in but invest in cables that come out. Would welcome any feedback about any regards to my current setup. Also does anyone know why some DAVE's came with a small remote and some the larger full system remote?
Kind regards
Richard

Nov 7, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #9,282 of 25,917
Hello Everyone
Just found this forum and am currently only on P129. Have had DAVE now for 3 weeks and am still blown away each day by it. Just wanted some advice re cabling for best results. I think I've worked out that input should be USB but what is the best output. My current setup is USB from Mac Mini running audirvana + with chord anthem RCA's into my Mcintosh MA5200 from DAVE. I found one really useful post that stated don't spend much at all on what goes in but invest in cables that come out. Would welcome any feedback about any regards to my current setup. Also does anyone know why some DAVE's came with a small remote and some the larger full system remote?
Kind regards
Richard
Hi Richard

With cables it's hard to tell which is more neutral and which is more colored, as the sonic result is highly dependent on the tonal synergy within the system. I listen via headphones most of the time (where cables play an important part, too), so my use of interconnects is reserved to my electrostats, driven by an SRM-727II. In the past I've favored a short pair of Silver Dragons, until I found out that the smoother, less treble-friendly Zu Gede makes the better pairing without sacrificing detail. It isn't produced anymore, but you may find a used pair on the net. Well, that's all I can tell in terms of interconnects, since I haven't tried many (save for a lot of homegrown ones).

Apart from the cable choice, the best you can do when it comes to connect the DAVE with your MA5200 is to use the latter's power-amp input and DAVE's digital volume control – saves you one needless amplification stage and one analogue potentiometer.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #9,283 of 25,917
Hello Everyone
Kind regards
Richard

Welcome to Dave ownership.
And a very difficult question to answer,
Everybody will have a different opinion depending on individual circumstances.
If it were me I would investigate the source, Melco N1Z ( version 1 are a bargain if there are any left for sale ), Innuos SE or perhaps antipodes DX. Power source for the whole system, Torus.
USB cables I have tried a few, I found the Curious Cable very good for SQ and value, Chord Sarum T outstanding and still good value and Chord Music edged out over the Sarum T ( but perhaps a little over priced ) I would recommend the Sarum T for a try along with the Curious Cable. I have tried other but these were my preferred cables.
BUT you must test and see what suits your system.
I also found I could get away with cheaper cables when I used a Torus.
Interconnects Sarum T. Speaker cable Sarum T.
Are you looking for headphones ...? Dave is very good as a headphone Amp - DAC. With a good server and power supply you're in for a treat if you go down that route.
The above is only a suggestion.
Let us know how you get on.

Nov 7, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #9,285 of 25,917
Thanks for the early responses. Much appreciated. I should have said already whilst I do listen on my HD800's it is only a very small amount of the time.(& I use a Grado extension cable - is this blowing a lot of the quality? Majority of listening is through my Facts 12s. Did I misunderstand something as I thought I'd picked up a few times that source was really not at all important once you have DAVE? Is there any point on spending money on something like a Melco? What I've picked up from P1 - P135 is that there is no point upgrading my Signature USB but perhaps I should look at changing my chord anthem RCA & Speaker cables? Is there a big jump from Signature speaker cable to Sarum? There seems to be a lot pointing to BNC cables rather than RCA if I'm correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back