Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Apr 9, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #1,156 of 6,746
Hello.I want to buy this DAC to use it with Cambridge CXA 60 and Dynaudio M 20 speakers.My simple question is :do i need a preamplifier or i can connect the DAC directly to Cambridge CXA 60 ?Thx

It’s an integrated amp with its own volume control, so you should be fine. It also already has a DAC but I assume you are looking for a better DAC than what is built in.

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #1,157 of 6,746
@Eddie O, nice system you have there! But i couldn't notice that it's lacking, from my point of view, an important piece of the transport chain.
That desktop computer is not suitable for the rest of the system. The sibilance at/of the high notes is due to the jittery nature of your desktop computer.
Get a sotm 200/ 200 ultra streamer, connect the qutest to the dedicated USB port and you are set..
I have a much cheaper system and I've started with the desktop PC, then rpi3 with linnear power supply, sotm 100 and now sotm200.
Connected to the sotm is the Hydra-Z USB bridge > coax to Mojo
VERY IMPORTANT, the streamer and the bridge are being powered from an diy PSU with L200c voltage regulator and 22k mundorf cap, Elna caps, AND a 12V 9Ah Maxwell ups battery!
Without the battery, the magic disappers.
The rest of the system elex-r amp> QA 3050 speakers!

How does the DIY PSU look like? Big? No wires besides the DC cables?

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #1,158 of 6,746
IMG_20180409_195347.jpg @Thenewguy007
How does the DIY PSU look like? Big? No wires besides the DC cables?
Small actually, 10 cm x 5 x 5
I'm currently searching a metal case for better aspect and maybe some shielding

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #1,160 of 6,746
nevermind

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #1,163 of 6,746
Thank you all for your answers.I bought today the Qutest and all is good.The volume knob of the Cambridge is set to minimum.

Try setting the volume at your source (laptop, computer, app, etc) to maximum, then toggle the volume using the volume knob of your Cambridge. I suspect that should work best

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #1,164 of 6,746
Try setting the volume at your source (laptop, computer, app, etc) to maximum, then toggle the volume using the volume knob of your Cambridge. I suspect that should work best

Also, set the Qutest to the output (1, 2, or 3V) that allows the Cambridge value lime control to be about center of the range when at your usual listening level.

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #1,165 of 6,746
@Thenewguy007

Small actually, 10 cm x 5 x 5
I'm currently searching a metal case for better aspect and maybe some shielding

Will you actually connect up a scope at least to measure whether this is better than stock supply? If you are into DIY electronics I would think it should not be too difficult to source a basic scope, attach the probes while DAC is running, adjust vertical position/offset by 5v, then reduce vertical scale (increase sensitivity) and see how much the supply wiggles. Measuring interference is the next stage.

Audiophiles like to experiment with power supplies I know but I can't understand the logic that says after you purchase probably the best DAC around , the first and foremost improvement to be done is to get a a DIY supply.

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #1,166 of 6,746
Does anyone now what countries and or regions that received Qutest? Were there any other places other than North America that didn't get any? Does the power supply shipped have built in plug adapter for different countries?

Apr 11, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #1,168 of 6,746
Many info on chord website regarding spec.

Is this a response to my question? Are you aware that North America shipment was "delayed," but obviously people around the world have them. I'm just trying to figure out if UL power supply is issue and not aluminum chassis FOR U.S. I made my payment the day moon audio opened it up. I'm still waiting...

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #1,169 of 6,746
Is this a response to my question? Are you aware that North America shipment was "delayed," but obviously people around the world have them. I'm just trying to figure out if UL power supply is issue and not aluminum chassis FOR U.S. I made my payment the day moon audio opened it up. I'm still waiting...
The Qutest comes with a universal power supply and all the different plugs( US included). You choose and plug it in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back