Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Dec 31, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #5,311 of 6,744
OK, first impressions...

Compaired to the Cambridge Dacmagic 100 the Qutest is just in another league...

I am just letting it work, whether it's PC-flac or just TV from my LGC9 via optical.. Everything I hear so far is better, simply better..
Already sure I'm hearing more detail, and hearing detail better... And it looks Qute...

20201230_193905 (2).jpg
Nice setup!
I almost ordered a Vali2 just to taste tube sound.. never came to it though.

Be sure to try drive your HP direct out of the RCA's. Use software volume adjustment. U can hear its small signal accuracy giving dynamics.

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #5,312 of 6,744
Be sure to try drive your HP direct out of the RCA's. Use software volume adjustment. U can hear its small signal accuracy giving dynamics.

Tricky, I am using two Audioquest RCA splitter-cables. I use the Darkvoice for HP-listening, but also a Schiit Magnius for my powered Dynaudio monitors.. So listening directly to RCA would mean some custom cables and no Darkvoice/Magnius, right?

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #5,313 of 6,744
So listening directly to RCA would mean some custom cables and no Darkvoice/Magnius, right?

Yep i made a simple RCA to Jack socket cable..

20190922_121953.jpg
Later i made a headphone cable with RCA plugs on the end.

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #5,314 of 6,744
Does anyone have a good amp recommendation to preserve and compliment the Qutests strengths? (Detail while retaining naturalness). I have the LP and am very happy with it but I think it works best as balanced and going SE to Balanced is going to limit it somewhat.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #5,317 of 6,744
Just bought a new Chord Qutest DAC last week and I absolutely love it! It’s on the chain going from my MacBook Pro to my WOO Audio WA6 amp and then out to my Grado GS3000e headphones. The Audioquest Earth RCA interconnects and an Audioquest Diamond USB work perfectly in this setup.

How do you like this setup? I'm having a hard time trying to find which amp to pair this with. I'm getting a 789 to tide me over but I can't find anything around the <$2k market thats worth it given limited desk space. I have a separate audio rack but its taking too much space in my room hence why the Qutest would fit perfect. A single solution like the WA6 would work well.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #5,318 of 6,744
Does anyone have a good amp recommendation to preserve and compliment the Qutests strengths? (Detail while retaining naturalness). I have the LP and am very happy with it but I think it works best as balanced and going SE to Balanced is going to limit it somewhat.
I had used a Qutest and LP and found it a very nice pairing with VO and Empy's. I now use a Pendant and Qutest while my TT2 is off for a repair. I have not used my LP since buying the Pendant.

Getting a HM susvana today and will try the Pendant and also the LP with it's greater power paired with this hp.
Yes, the Pendant it is SE.

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #5,319 of 6,744
How do you like this setup? I'm having a hard time trying to find which amp to pair this with. I'm getting a 789 to tide me over but I can't find anything around the <$2k market thats worth it given limited desk space. I have a separate audio rack but its taking too much space in my room hence why the Qutest would fit perfect. A single solution like the WA6 would work well.
hikaru12, in a short period of time since I posted that comment, I’ve traded the Qutest for a TT2, the Grado 3000e’s for some Focal Utopias, the AQ Earth RCA’s for Earth XLR’s, and upgraded my amp from the WA6 to a Woo WA22. This hobby is sneaky that way. 😆 For a desktop system I can’t think of a better pairing than a Chord Qutest dac and the Woo WA6 hp amplifier as a great place to start.

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #5,320 of 6,744
Hey guys...I have a quick question. My new Qutest will be delivered on Monday and I have been perusing the owner's manual PDF. I am a bit confused about the Output Voltage setting. The Qutest offers the option of 1V, 2V or 3V. What setting should I use if I am using this strictly as a headphone DAC and will be running the output into a Monolith THX 887 or a Violectric V281? What is the purpose of the other settings? Thanks so much!

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #5,321 of 6,744
Hey guys...I have a quick question. My new Qutest will be delivered on Monday and I have been perusing the owner's manual PDF. I am a bit confused about the Output Voltage setting. The Qutest offers the option of 1V, 2V or 3V. What setting should I use if I am using this strictly as a headphone DAC and will be running the output into a Monolith THX 887 or a Violectric V281? What is the purpose of the other settings? Thanks so much!
I used 2v forgot the reason why but that work for me

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #5,322 of 6,744
It is to match the input requirement of the amp. Use the highest setting that does not overload the amp to minimise noise.

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #5,323 of 6,744
It is to match the input requirement of the amp. Use the highest setting that does not overload the amp to minimise noise.
Thanks for the reply...would I find this info be found in the owner's manual? I have a Violectric V281 and a Monolith THX 887. Would you happen to know the input requirement of either of those? :)

Here is a link to the owner's manual for the V281 and I have no idea where the input requirement is listed. Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/800254/Violectric-Hpa-V281.html?page=22#manual

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #5,324 of 6,744
Thanks for the reply...would I find this info be found in the owner's manual? I have a Violectric V281 and a Monolith THX 887. Would you happen to know the input requirement of either of those? :)

Here is a link to the owner's manual for the V281 and I have no idea where the input requirement is listed. Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/800254/Violectric-Hpa-V281.html?page=22#manual
I looked at the specifications and it has a heading "Max input voltage" but it does not specify a voltage.
Your ears will tell you... If 3v does not clip, it is the way to go.

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #5,325 of 6,744

The user manuals for amplifiers are often vague or completely blank, regarding the topic of input voltage sensitivity.
If that is the case for your amp, then the best approach/logic to follow is:
  • The introduction of CD players, resulted in the de-facto standard for amplifier input sensitivity becoming 2V
  • If your Qutest set at 2V, but still produces input clipping in your amplifier, then try 1V.
This involves an element of trial and error, but will be worth it, for the end result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back