DC Area Head-Fi Meet and End-of-Summer SchiitStorm! - August 12, 2017 - Gaithersburg, Maryland!

Will you come with equipment and will you be joining us for Dinner/Happy hour afterwards?

• Just coming to check out all of the goodies, no dinner/happy hour for me.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Just coming to check out all of the goodies and will be coming to dinner/happy hour, too!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bringing my own gear, but no dinner/happy hour for me.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Bringing my own gear and will be coming to the dinner/happy hour, too!

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #46 of 69
The two headphones I planned to bring were LCD-4 and Utopia. I'll also bring my HD800S so you can listen.

Awesome, thank you

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #47 of 69
I'm definitely willing to give one a try. The iPhone does still have a physical connector, you just have to use a lighting to 3.5mm headphone jack dongle (comes with the phone).

My main concern is I don't have a large collection (or any collection really) of FLAC or other lossless audio files. The songs I do own are all on iTunes, so what ever quality song bought from the iTunes store are. The vast majority of my current music playlist's are from Apple Music, and more recently I switched to Tidal. Are you able to use Tidal on something like the AGPtek Rocker? Having to go and buy 100's of songs is just way to expensive vs the $10 a month I pay for Tidal with my student discount.

I definitely need to like into DAP's vs a small portable amp / DAC.

I hear you, whatever collection you have accumulated needs to be accessible. Had a nice record collection, then moved to minidisc, then CDs and now mp3 and FLAC. Left a lot behind.

(Hehe, now I want to check out my minidiscs again as I had some awesome Japanese acid jazz on those and I am almost positive that the player is still good! Heck, if I can find my portable minidisc setup I'll bring it to the meet for some nostalgia!)

Though it is likely a pain to do so with a large collection, converting one lossless file format to another lossless file format through an app is easily done and you don't lose any quality so long as you stay lossless.

Some DAPs, like the Shenzhen Benjie BJ-T6/AGPtek Rocker, do play Apple Lossless formatted files so you can continue to have access to your collection in native format. I'll have a couple of the Rocker DAPs to demo, so load some of your music onto an exFAT formatted microsd and bring it to the meet to try out.

Another optrion is to wait until the fall when Apple releases iOS 11 as it might be able to finally read/play FLAC - https://www.whathifi.com/news/apples-ios-11-update-could-deliver-flac-and-hi-res-audio-support . A good DAP will still beat the iPhone in audio specs but at least the iPhone will be more versatile in terms of being able to access a broader range of file types.

I believe the only way to play Tidal on a DAP is if it is running Android or another compatible OS. Tidal is a streaming app so once installed you definitely need wifi or another way to get onto the internet, though once you access Tidal you can also download and play your favorites offline through the app. The only DAPs that I know support Tidal natively are quite expensive - Pioneer XDP-100R, Sony ZX2, ONKYO DP-X1 - but you might be able to find some more recent Android-based devices that do. Great question to pose to the gurus in the Portable Source Gear Forum!

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #48 of 69
Hi, I am going to try to make this one, I've got an Eddie Current BA 45/2a3 and the Sony Z1R that I could bring. I would prefer to partner with someone -maybe compare EC amp or do another amp comparison?

Just had dental surgery yesterday but should be good enough by Saturday

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #49 of 69
Hi, I am going to try to make this one, I've got an Eddie Current BA 45/2a3 and the Sony Z1R that I could bring. I would prefer to partner with someone -maybe compare EC amp or do another amp comparison?

Just had dental surgery yesterday but should be good enough by Saturday

Not using the XLR outputs on the Yggy, and would definitely love to hear BA. I am bringing its "little brother", ZDS.

Aug 10, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #51 of 69
Absolutely!
See you there!

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #54 of 69
It's been a while since I've been to a meet. I'll be bringing HD600, HE400s, Schiit Asgard, Schiit Modi Multibit, and it'll be sourced with my iPad. I'll also bring an Android OTG.

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #55 of 69
for the linear tube audio guys, would you guys be bringing the ether e prototype that you guys talked about back in May? as well as the electrostatic amp that you guys have been working on?

Aug 11, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #56 of 69
for the linear tube audio guys, would you guys be bringing the ether e prototype that you guys talked about back in May? as well as the electrostatic amp that you guys have been working on?

The electrostatic amp we're working on is currently deconstructed and awaiting reconstruction, so we won't have that, but we will bring a set of Ether Es in case anyone brings an electrostatic amp. Or in case anyone would just like to look at them.

We'll be there with the latest iteration of the MZ2, which recently got a few updates. We'll bring the Border Patrol DAC (no longer finicky, for those of you who were at that small library meet) and I'll personally bring the Denafrips Ares. We'll also bring the iBasso DX200 (I figured out the line out!), the P5 Falcon desktop/portable amp, and some headphones including Ether Flows and the ZMF Eikon. We don't have many new things, unfortunately, but I'm hoping for more excitement by CAF.

Apologies to everyone for not being part of the group lately! A lot going on and not a lot of time.

Aug 11, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #57 of 69
Here's a preview picture of the SchiitKit...
IMG_1417.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back