Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Dec 3, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #6,661 of 7,405
I read here about some 3d pritend "bass ported" mods for the DTC stock pads. But I haven't found any stl files online. Would someone be so kind to help me out? :)

And has someone maybe compared the modded pads with the original bass ported ones? I don't have a DTC yet but hopefully that will change very soon! :relaxed:

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #6,662 of 7,405
I second this. The 1266 and the TC are more reference type of headphones. I believe the MR would be a better compliment to the 1266 imho
Also let me add I have the 1266, Diana Phi and Diana MR. I’m glad I got the MR as it really brings a different yet familiar flavor to the family.
How is the bass (subbass and midbass) quantity and quality of the MR (using the best stock pads for bass, idk which one though) compared to the 1266 TC?
Also, what about the soundstage?

As much as I love the TC, I need something portable given my situation.

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #6,663 of 7,405
I'm curious about a generalized comparison between the Diana MR pad options.

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #6,664 of 7,405
I'm curious about a generalized comparison between the Diana MR pad options.
Stock leather. Light/accurate bass, accentuated treble. Bass ported leather. Tastefully Increased mid and sub bass, accentuated treble. Vegan pads. Light/accurate bass, smooth but present treble. Bass ported vegan pads. Tastefully Increased mid/sub bass, smooth but present treble

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #6,665 of 7,405
Given you already have the TC driver in your 1266, might be cooler to try something different and go for the MR? Also easier to drive.
Really agree on this. Diana MR will provide more differences in term of sound character. 1266TC is more like "explosive" sound, lively, strong attack, big soundstage. While MR is at more relax, more forgiving for various recordings, darker and less punchy as well, make it really suitable for long listening time.

Anyway my initial impression about Diana MR:
- Well, still have the "DNA" of Diana sound (Fast, clean, detail, a bit intimate soundstage compared to other $3-4K headphones)
- A bit darker treble than Meze Elite, and also with a bit warmer tone on midrange area. Meze still deliver bigger bass though (as expected).
- Bass is already "big" enough even without bass ported earpad, combine with darker treble than Diana TC, I think it should sufficient for rock/pop/jazz songs. Personally, Diana TC is a must with bass ported earpad.
- Tested with my desktop set up (tube amp). Haven't tried with DAPs, but I can imagine most DAPs out there usually thinner sounding than my desktop rig.
- In short, Diana MR is like more forgiving, smoother, darker, and "easier" to listen version of Diana TC. With Diana TC, I need to scrap some albums from my playlist due to poor recording may become too bright.

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #6,668 of 7,405
Do we trust him again?

He must have had a cold when he reviewed the DT1990…
I do like my MR tho haha.

1701711722316.gif

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #6,670 of 7,405
Can anyone speak to the relative synergy of the Diana MR on the Chord Hugo TT2 + M Scaler? My favorite headphone on this system is my Senn HD800S. Would this be a good DAC/Amp pairing with the MR?
I owned the TT2 and I currently have the mojo 2. I feel like the mojo 2 is a baby TT2 and I really enjoy the mojo 2 and MR pairing. Definitely think you’ll be ok.

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #6,672 of 7,405
Glad to see the reviews are validating my thoughts on the MR. Lately I have been finding myself reaching out to my MR, even more so than my Sus. I am so loving it that I also have the super conductor cable and have two bass ported pads, a vegan and a learher. They all probide me with different signature. I spent the weekend listening to the MR with vegan bass ported pads with my Woo WA7 Fireflies Gen 3, Mullard NOS tubes, and Musician Pegasus R2R DAC. Such beautiful synergy. I just cant stop listening

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #6,673 of 7,405
Glad to see the reviews are validating my thoughts on the MR. Lately I have been finding myself reaching out to my MR, even more so than my Sus. I am so loving it that I also have the super conductor cable and have two bass ported pads, a vegan and a learher. They all probide me with different signature. I spent the weekend listening to the MR with vegan bass ported pads with my Woo WA7 Fireflies Gen 3, Mullard NOS tubes, and Musician Pegasus R2R DAC. Such beautiful synergy. I just cant stop listening
You think the superconductor cable is worth it with the MR? Many felt it wasn’t worth it with the V2. I can see the MR being a better match/worth it because it’s pulling more detail and more transparent vs the V2.

Also I’ve been thinking of getting the suede bass ported pads. I have the leather version. Suede just smoothing the treble a bit while maintaining the bass?

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #6,674 of 7,405
You think the superconductor cable is worth it with the MR? Many felt it wasn’t worth it with the V2. I can see the MR being a better match/worth it because it’s pulling more detail and more transparent vs the V2.

Also I’ve been thinking of getting the suede bass ported pads. I have the leather version. Suede just smoothing the treble a bit while maintaining the bass?
To my ears the super conductor provides more detail and improves on the sub bass even more. The leather bass ported pads has more airiness and openess. Similar to the standard leather pads just with better, more rounded bass. Now the vegan bass ported pads is different. Much warmer and intimate. Trebles somewhat more subdued and rounded, just how i like it. Been pad rolling between the two bass ported pads actually depending on what I am listening. Pls note that the orohinal cables are in every way great!

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #6,675 of 7,405
Can anyone speak to the relative synergy of the Diana MR on the Chord Hugo TT2 + M Scaler? My favorite headphone on this system is my Senn HD800S. Would this be a good DAC/Amp pairing with the MR?

I think would be a good pairing. I got my Diana MR last week. I tried out of a tube amp, nitsch dsha-3fn and chord Dave + scaler. So far I enjoy them most directly out of Dave.

Headfonia website says it’s a good pairing with mojo2. https://www.headfonia.com/abyss-diana-mr-review/4/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back