DT48 appreciation thread!!
Apr 5, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 94
[size=small]Well, I haven't gotten them yet, but I certainly thank you and Uncle Erik for bringing them to my notice. I like to think of myself as a detailed, musical fanatic, and these phones appear to fit the bill, especially for the small jazz ensemble music that I listen to frequently. If they are clear enough to make background conversations discernable (conversations not discernable on other phones), then they should be pretty good with vocals.
wink.gif
[/size]

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 94
Bump for the most underappreciated headphone out there. If only there was a little more buzz (or advertising) then the DT48 would be the default recommendation for fans of acoustic and vocal music. And around $350 new, there isn't a better deal on the market.

Though it hasn't gotten much attention, I created Team DT48 awhile back. It's here.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]Well, I haven't gotten them yet, but I certainly thank you and Uncle Erik for bringing them to my notice. I like to think of myself as a detailed, musical fanatic, and these phones appear to fit the bill, especially for the small jazz ensemble music that I listen to frequently. If they are clear enough to make background conversations discernable (conversations not discernable on other phones), then they should be pretty good with vocals.
wink.gif
[/size]

I hope you like them as much as Erik & I do.. I have 4 pair
beyersmile.png
Still need to get the 40a recabled though.. Hopefully I will get the 48s too..

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump for the most underappreciated headphone out there. If only there was a little more buzz (or advertising) then the DT48 would be the default recommendation for fans of acoustic and vocal music. And around $350 new, there isn't a better deal on the market.

Though it hasn't gotten much attention, I created Team DT48 awhile back. It's here.

You should really try the 48a.. I find them better for acoustics then the 48e.. I'm still at odds why these are not more popular in the states.. I know Beyer doesn't advertise them, & are made for professional use..

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
flat & neutral, yes..

Since I am a nut about accuracy, this thread has peaked my interest too.

Just look at my cans (other than the GS-1000), K-1000, HP-1000, PFE... I must have a neutral fetish or something.

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, you've peaked my interest I'm always on the look out for headphones
that could be considered flat / neutral. Should I be looking to buy the DT48 ?

You try the 48S @ 25 ohm...they are more natural and flat then the 48S 25 ohm.

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 94
So, there's an "a" "e" and "S" version???

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I'm always on the look out for headphones
that could be considered flat / neutral. Should I be looking to buy the DT48 ?

People don't just consider them flat and neutral, they really are flat and neutral. Keep an eye out for a used pair. New ones go around $350, but I've found three pairs under $100 each. They've generated a little interest, so they usually sell between $100 and $150 now. Don't be afraid of used ones, either. Beyerdynamic has had them in production since 1950 or 1951 - you can order any part you need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just look at my cans (other than the GS-1000), K-1000, HP-1000, PFE... I must have a neutral fetish or something.

Your tastes are close to mine - I really think you'd appreciate the DT48. Are you coming to CanJam? I'll have my two pairs along - a 25 Ohm and 200 Ohm. You'd be welcome to take a pair to your rig or maybe borrow overnight so you could evaluate them off the floor.

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 94
Quote:

Rob, where in the bay are you located? I could bring over a pair for you to audition.

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 94
Quote:

So, there's an "a" "e" and "S" version???

The Silver version was released to the public in 1950.. The original Eugene Beyer 48 (wisp) was made in 1937.

The 48a is 5 ohms, & has rubber padding.
The 48e models very greatly.

8ohm
25ohm
200ohm

Some 48e are single entry, others are dual entry. Some coiled cable, some straight. Some 1/8 terminated, some 1/4 terminated. The 48a are technically better then the 48e IMO.. But the 48e is more refined & smoother. They are more 'musical.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back