Apr 5, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #16 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there 5ohm 48s models?

My 48S are 25 ohm.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #17 of 94
I am very interested in these.
but after i had(and sadly)sold my K-1000,i can't listen to anything else.
all headphones just sound bad to me!but maybe the DT48 will somewhat sound almost as good as K-1000 so that's a good thing.
i have 2 questions:
1.are they good ONLY for jazz and acoustic music,will they completley suck with rock and prog rock?(let's say Radiohead and that kind of stuff)
2.did anyone compare them to DT150?they bot seem intersting and excellent headphones.

Apr 5, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #19 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very interested in these.
but after i had(and sadly)sold my K-1000,i can't listen to anything else.
all headphones just sound bad to me!but maybe the DT48 will somewhat sound almost as good as K-1000 so that's a good thing.
i have 2 questions:
1.are they good ONLY for jazz and acoustic music,will they completley suck with rock and prog rock?(let's say Radiohead and that kind of stuff)
2.did anyone compare them to DT150?they bot seem intersting and excellent headphones.

They are under whelming for rock, but I still enjoy them for all genres.

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #21 of 94
Quote:

What do you mean?what to they lack with rock?bass?

They lack colour, they are uncoloured almost to a fault. That means that they will do nothing to engage you with the music and a lot of people will find them boring because of this. This effect is much more noticeable with amplified music than with unamplified music. It's hard to explain why precisely (maybe someone else can do it better), it's almost like amplified simply needs some colouration to be really enjoyable, or at least needs it more than unamplified music does.

They also, like so many other vintage headphones popularized here, lack prominent extreme lows and highs that you will find in some more 'modern' headphones. They are extremely detailed, but that detail isn't pushed to the front like in some 'phones. (The DT-880 for instance.)

Make no mistake, I'm a fan of the DT-48 (and I've yet to hear the 25 ohm model or hear them recabled), but these 'phones should come with a huge 'caveat emptor' to prevent a lot of disappointed buyers.

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #25 of 94
Quote:

What do you mean?what to they lack with rock?bass?

It's not so much that they lack anything, but rock, metal and other electronically amplified genres just don't come alive the way they do with something like a RS-1. I think part of the reason is that rock guitar is intentionally distorted and colored by the guitar amp, but in a good way. Some headphones add coloration in a good way, so maybe that's why there's a good fit. It's not like a person singing by themselves - that sort of music requires a very accurate, detailed headphone. I think Drosera makes a good point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could anybody (particularly Uncle Erik, as he owns both) write a direct comparision of DT48 vs. K240DF?

You know, I still haven't tried them out side-by-side.
redface.gif
It's a little late to get started on that tonight, but I'd be happy to get out the reference discs and give both a listen.

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #26 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a little late to get started on that tonight, but I'd be happy to get out the reference discs and give both a listen.

Thanks! I would be glad to read from you.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #27 of 94
Ok , Uncle erik , and Kool bubba ice ... you got me in deep now .
smily_headphones1.gif

I pressed the buy it now button and a nice pair of dt48e 25ohm headphones are on there way to me...

I'm excited now , especially after reading the thread

"The most underappreciated can ever? DT 48 "

Where jrosenth said :

"On now, the sound. In short, astonishingly revealing - hyper-resolving. On the drier, analytical side, but worth that price of admission to hear details simply not audible on cans such as the RS-1, Beyer DT 880, Senn 600/650 or AKG 501/701."

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #28 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok , Uncle erik , and cool bubba ice ... you got me in deep now .
smily_headphones1.gif

I pressed the buy it now button and a nice pair of dt48e 25ohm headphones are on there way to me...

I'm excited now , especially after reading the thread

"The most underappreciated can ever? DT 48 "

Where jrosenth said :

"On now, the sound. In short, astonishingly revealing - hyper-resolving. On the drier, analytical side, but worth that price of admission to hear details simply not audible on cans such as the RS-1, Beyer DT 880, Senn 600/650 or AKG 501/701."

smily_headphones1.gif

I was looking at that pair.. I like the dual entry better then single ended.. But I really want the 48 200 ohms instead. Those look near new.. 300 is very fair.. & if you are into Jazz, acoustics, vocals, you might as well triple that price.. One member felt the 48's did a better job then the 02s for acoustics, of course he wil remain name less to avoid flamers.

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #29 of 94
Another thing.. Even though they lack Musicality IMO, nothing gets me more into the music then my 48a.. It digs the deepest into the music & the singers soul.. Especially when I shut my eyes & visualize every instrument.

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #30 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Yep. Let me reinforce this, too. I've been poking around with Speaker-Fi more and more and have developed a taste for planars. I have a pair of ribbons I built back in 2002, a pair of Heil Air Motion Transformers (ESS AMT-1) I found last August, and grabbed a pair of Quad ESL-63 speakers in February. None of them are perfect, but they're all highly resolving and neutral. The ribbons are ruler flat from 350Hz up and the Quads can pull off a square wave without blinking. I haven't found stats on the AMTs, but they sound awfully close to the other two.

The DT48 has similar detail retrieval - you will pull things out of the recording you never knew were there. You get a world of details when you start listening to something like a HD-650, RS-1 or a K-501. But the DT48 goes a step beyond this and competes with the planar speakers I have.

Tonally, they're dead neutral, just like the planars, as well as very good headphones like the K-1000, HP-2, K-240DF, and HD-600. Things just sound accurate from the DT48, while pulling more detail than the others. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Also, what happened to our friend Mr. MacManus? He got a pair of DT48s around the end of last year and promised a review. I've been looking forward to reading his impressions. At any rate, there will be two pairs at CanJam '09, and I'll probably take them to every future CanJam, too. I don't think the DT48 is for everyone, but there's nothing on the market - headphones or speakers - that gets you as close to the music for the price. You could drop $8,000 on a new pair of Quads, $6,000 on the AMT Kithara, find used Apogees for a couple thousand, or you can get the DT48 for about $350.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back