Eddie Current's upcoming SS amp called Red Top ?!
Nov 4, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #16 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Craig has never been enthusiastic about balanced rigs whenever i talk to him... and he's the type that builds things that he thinks are better and not just marketable.

from my conversation with him it has "dual differential drivers" and has a "pure class A outputs stage."

actually that has changed somewhat, Craig built the HD2 and after listening to it in balanced and unbalanced mode through both headphones and speakers we both agreed balanced was a nice step up in that amp. I would not be surprised to see a balanced SS amp in the semi near future.
Oh and understand it is better than most headphone amps at powering the k1000 but it is not as good as a seperate k1000 amp yes balanced it will put out the quality juice to make the k1000s sing, single ended it's ok but not top class.

To those that are interested if you want a run of single ended Red Tops/Hats I would contact Craig directly. I don't think he would do just 2 or 3 as it would not be cost effective.

Nov 4, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #17 of 173
Quote:

...Sometimes people are more intrigued by the shiny box then the quality or the circuit and sound

Quote:

That is what happens when rampant fanboyism hides the truely great stuff
from the junk with the pretty front panel...

So true! I better stop here ...

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #18 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually that has changed somewhat, Craig built the HD2 and after listening to it in balanced and unbalanced mode through both headphones and speakers we both agreed balanced was a nice step up in that amp. I would not be surprised to see a balanced SS amp in the semi near future.
Oh and understand it is better than most headphone amps at powering the k1000 but it is not as good as a seperate k1000 amp yes balanced it will put out the quality juice to make the k1000s sing, single ended it's ok but not top class.

To those that are interested if you want a run of single ended Red Tops/Hats I would contact Craig directly. I don't think he would do just 2 or 3 as it would not be cost effective.

So, will he make a balanced on too? I'd rather have the balanced red top then the balanced desk top..

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #19 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, will he make a balanced on too? I'd rather have the balanced red top then the balanced desk top..

Just purchase two and go balanced using them.

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #20 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
Looks like dual differential input stage with cascode. Very similar to dynahi,
dynafet, and B22. Opamp power supply voltage is going to limit the
rails to +/-18 which is going to be good for most stuff, but not sufficient
for k1000's in unbalanced mode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
all discrete design with very high current output capability.

I like what I'm hearing, Grado + mucho current = audio bliss.

Any idea on what kind of power supply it uses ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801

I'm interested as hell, it looks like I'll soon start a fire in my wallet.

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #21 of 173
craig says that the red top as deployed at the SJ meet will not make production...

however, it is being turned into a fully balanced headphone and pre-amp that will sport a k1000 4-pin connector in front! drool!

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #22 of 173
I hate bad news Kugino...
mad.gif
good news for K1000 owners
k1000smile.gif
!!!

I want it SE, maybe he could sell me a prototype.
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #23 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate bad news Kugino...
mad.gif
good news for K1000 owners
k1000smile.gif
!!!

I want it SE, maybe he could sell me a prototype.
biggrin.gif

i did not mean to imply that it was solely for the k1000...i think there will be SE headphone outputs as well. don't know if there will be SE input/output options, though...

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #25 of 173
Quote:

I won't pay for a balanced amp with a K1000 connector, balanced ouputs and single ended outputs with a pre-amp just to use with my Grados... I do have money but that would be way too overkill for my needs.

understandable.

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #26 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd email or call him on this I'm not sure of his current plans with this amp

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #27 of 173
Quote:

I won't pay for a balanced amp with a K1000 connector, balanced ouputs and single ended outputs with a pre-amp just to use with my Grados... I do have money but that would be way too overkill for my needs.

Grados respond very well to balancing
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #28 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
RS1 balanced withown cable Created deeper and greater definition on the bass, greater speration of instruments within the soundstage and widened the stage. Thankfully they were wired with 4 conducters to the 1/4 jack if not we would have been screwed.
HP2 balanced with SAA Equinox Although I had not had these for very long I thought the recable/balance job improved these to a great degree. More instrument seperation and the already outstanding mids were improved even more. The top end remains a slight weak point with the very upper range of the frequecy range shelved but I'll see if it improves over time, although I do not put alot of stock in the burn in fairy but I'll put a quarter under the headphones tonight just in case.

I see...
tongue.gif
how do the HP-2 respond now ?

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #29 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I concur - I have already contacted Craig about purchasing the single ended version only but due to a lack of interest and posts he is probably not going to produce it, and is more apt to produce the more all out balanced solid state version. If enough people email him and make a deposit down for the single ended version he would be more apt to do a run or two. He already knows I am getting one, so hopefully others can contact him as well if they are truly interested.

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #30 of 173
That's really too bad. The single ended version was HIGHLY competitive at 600 being fully discrete and with that small footprint. Perfect office rig amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back