Eddie Current's upcoming SS amp called Red Top ?!
Nov 6, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #31 of 173
I emailed craig as well and he guesstimated the balanced version at around 1500 - 1700, hope that helps

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #32 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's really too bad. The single ended version was HIGHLY competitive at 600 being fully discrete and with that small footprint. Perfect office rig amp.

For sure - but like I said all it takes is a group of people who want it and are committed to making a deposit and I am sure he would do a limited run. So anyone reading this thread should email him so that it can happen. I would hate for this not to come into fruition, let's see if we can at least get it into HD-25 kind of production.

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #33 of 173
I've heard the EC/SS, the Zana Deux, and jp11801's HD2 and his older Moth. All were impressive. If head-fi can't get up enough interest to get a run on this amp, I'd be inclined to start another Disturbing Trends thread....no...only kidding, but if that's the price point, folks looking for a new amp should be very interested.

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #35 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the best way to convince people ?!

I know I want one but how could my email help to make it into production...

Just let him know you want one and are willing to make a deposit, that's it. Like any amp manufacturer, you won't put something into production if you feel there is no interest or it won't sell, as they need to sell enough to make some kind of profit. So if he gets maybe 5-10 emails or so of dedicated buyers, that should be enough to make production work out for both parties. So far he has you an me, we get a couple more and a small run of amps can happen.

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #36 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed craig as well and he guesstimated the balanced version at around 1500 - 1700, hope that helps

yeah, although the balanced version would be very cool and also have a dedicated k1000 4-pin plug, that's a bit more than i want to pay, especially considering i'm happy with the sig 30. but the SE red top would be a very lovely amp indeed.

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #37 of 173
I'd be in for an SE version of this but I'm itching to try something balanced...damn so many decisions haha

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #38 of 173
First off you gotta sell that beat up GCHA.
icon10.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #39 of 173
im still waiting for the HD300? to come into production. I got to hear the prototype at the marin meet a while back. A great baby ZD for only $800 (price etimated at the time)

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #40 of 173
craig mentioned an EC DAC as well...interesting.

here's what he said about the red hat: Quote:

The Red Hat runs on plus, minus 28 volt rails. It was designed to drive K1000 headphones to 1 watt at less than .01 percent distortion wide band without leaving class A.

not quite enough juice to drive the k1000 very well, but better than most, it seems. i'd be happy if he produced a few of these.

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #41 of 173
Haha I know right, good thing I was able to unload it so I get to consider this sort of thing at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off you gotta sell that beat up GCHA.
icon10.gif

The more I look into the balanced side of things though, the more I want to curl up and die...I wasked singlepower on their offerings as well and there doesn't seem to be anything under just short of 2K...I was really banking on those darkvoice monoblocks in the fs forums but they got eaten up while I was trying to sell the gcha. Really amkes me wonder if going balanced is worth it. If the redtop is indeed in the 1500 - 1700 range and it does just half of what's been rumored/mentioned how can you go wrong, right? I wonder how much used kidneys go for these days

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #42 of 173
I'd love to get my hands on one of these... love the whole SS nature of it combined with clean discrete, and very neat/compact design.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #43 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The more I look into the balanced side of things though, the more I want to curl up and die...I wasked singlepower on their offerings as well and there doesn't seem to be anything under just short of 2K...I was really banking on those darkvoice monoblocks in the fs forums but they got eaten up while I was trying to sell the gcha. Really amkes me wonder if going balanced is worth it. If the redtop is indeed in the 1500 - 1700 range and it does just half of what's been rumored/mentioned how can you go wrong, right? I wonder how much used kidneys go for these days

What are you talking about, Singlepower makes the Square Wave XL which is balanced and should cost under $1.7K.

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #45 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you talking about, Singlepower makes the Square Wave XL which is balanced and should cost under $1.7K.

yea mikhail quoted me at 1799 for the "basic model squarewave XL", I guess because he had it ready to ship? Sorry if I was vague, at that price point "just under 2K" is still too momumental a price.

Thanks for the tip on the headroom balanced though, for some reason I had totally forgot its existence.

I'm still a little confused as to the design of the red top, is craig using opamps to act as current supply? Sorry I'm EE but I have a violent aversion to circuits haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back