Effect Audio cables thread
Oct 7, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #6,331 of 7,926
Just a quick update: I'm still breaking in the cables, but wow does the Chiron X Cleopatra I make the DAC filters of the SP2000 incredibly easily to determine from each other. With the Cleopatra I Octa, I tend to select "Super Slow Roll-Off" filter, but I find that I'm now leaning to "Sharp Roll-off" with the Chiron X Cleopatra I cable.

I'll do further listening test as even the DAC filter can easily affect the impressions of this cable

Oct 8, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #6,332 of 7,926
Hello guys! We recently teamed up with Elysian Acoustic Labs and created a new hybrid IEM called GAEA. 🌎
It's finally out! Do share some love and check it out at https://www.effectaudio.com/gaea 😎🙌🏽

Head-Fi Announcement thread here

- Jordon

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Oct 10, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #6,333 of 7,926
Nice, I saw the article. It really looks gorgeous. Hope it sounds just as good as it looks. Continue the good work!

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #6,334 of 7,926
Just a quick update: I'm still breaking in the cables, but wow does the Chiron X Cleopatra I make the DAC filters of the SP2000 incredibly easily to determine from each other. With the Cleopatra I Octa, I tend to select "Super Slow Roll-Off" filter, but I find that I'm now leaning to "Sharp Roll-off" with the Chiron X Cleopatra I cable.

I'll do further listening test as even the DAC filter can easily affect the impressions of this cable

Sharp roll off = most faithful and transparent to the source.😉

The same with every dap. 👍

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #6,335 of 7,926
Sharp roll off = most faithful and transparent to the source.😉

The same with every dap. 👍

It sounds best with this cable 😃
At my desktop headphone setup, I use a true NOS R2R DAC which interestingly sounds very similar to sharp roll off from the SP2000.

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #6,336 of 7,926
Hi so i was curious if anyone has tried the fourte on the eros s. Wanted to check in with its pairing synergy before i buy.

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #6,337 of 7,926
I'm currently about 50 hours in on the Chiron x Cleopatra I OCTA and here's my quick review. Associated equipment is Campfire Andromeda CK Blue Edition and A&K SP2000 using "Sharp Roll Off" (aka linear phase, fast roll off) DAC filter.

First of all, the build is of course extremely good quality as with all EA cables. The titanium Y splits and plugs screams discreetly high end which IMO is a very nice touch. The cable feels slightly heavier than Centurion and Chiron 8-wire version but understandable since Chiron actually has less strands than Cleopatra from my brief talk with Suyang. This IMO is a huge plus since you're getting TOTL level of sound while reducing the weight of the cable significantly.

Lets get to sound impressions.

To get a baseline on what this cable is about, first I would describe Cleopatra I OCTA on its own with Cleopatra II bonus. Cleopatra I unlike the Cleopatra II, has a less emphasis on midbass thickness and it concentrates more on the subbass extension and emphasis. On the mids, Cleopatra I OCTA has forward vocals but with less warmth than many copper based cables, opting for a smoother/less macrodynamics yet slightly thinner mids though Cleopatra II is slightly more resolving/more dynamics without being artificial in this regard than Cleo I. On to the treble, I find that Cleo II is a lot more sparkly than version I OCTA in this regard but my preference is towards a slightly rolled-off treble of Cleopatra I though the OCTA helped with its treble resolution that's less forced to my ears.

Now onto the Chiron x Cleopatra I. If I were to gauge how much of a difference Chiron made, it made about 80% of its sound traits and retaining about 20% of Cleopatra I's sonics. However, that 20% of Cleopatra I's is of Cleopatra I's strengths: the subbass extension and emphasis as well as the smooth treble. The addition of Chiron in the mix did not reduce this subbass presence yet it elevates its resolution by retrieving more low-level rumble and texture than just Cleopatra alone. Anybody who has heard the Campfire Andromeda always notes that it lacks subbass with the stock cable. Chiron X Cleopatra I dispels all that claims and brings the best out of the Andromeda's subbass that one can never thought that this high quality subbass presence is coming out of the Campfire Andromeda itself. Moving on to the mids, I believe this is where Chiron has made its own signature that IMHO is a much better pairing to Andromeda than Cleopatra I. Chiron pretty much brings back the organic copper mids (not as much warmth) that's lacking with the Cleopatra I. In addition to the organic timbre, Chiron resolves microdetails a quite a bit more than Cleopatra, where nuances are more resolved, easily heard yet remained organic at all times. In comparison to the Chiron 8-wire, Chiron X Cleopatra I has more subbass presence while Chiron 8-wire is slightly more resolving in the mids and upper-bass. Tonality between the two cables is similar owing to Chiron's 80% influence to the sound as a whole while Cleopatra I only retained the subbass and the very slight treble smoothness. Now on to the treble, Chiron 8-wire is more sparkly, and slightly more nuanced in the texture and a hint airier than Chiron x Cleopatra I. However, Chiron x Cleopatra I is smoother yet does not feel that it's less resolving than Chiron 8-wire. Chiron 8-wire treble presence is akin to that of the Centurion cable where those two cables are almost identical in that region.

Bonus comparison: Centurion has more mid-bass presence than both 8-wire Chiron and Chiron x Cleopatra I while at the same time, more resolving in the texture. In the mids section, Centurion trades off a very slight organic timbre of the Chiron 8-wire for an even more micro-detailed resolution. I think the only section Centurion and Chiron 8-wire was beaten by Chiron x Cleopatra I is the subbass presence and texture. This combination is just the right timbre, texture and presence for Andromeda and I know that for other IEMs, the opposite would be the case.

So far I've mostly compared tonality. On to technicalities, Chiron X Cleopatra I right away has noticeable soundstage expansion than Cleopatra I Octa. If I were to rank the soundstage expansion, this would be the order IMHO: Centurion = 100%, Chiron 8-wire 97%, Chiron x Cleopatra I = 94%, Cleopatra I Octa = 85%, Cleopatra II = 75%, just a bonus, EA Lionheart = 50% of Centurion. In terms of detail retrieval, macrodynamics and microdynamics, once you have Chiron in the mix IMHO is splitting hairs between Centurion, Chiron 8-wire and Chiron x Cleopatra I where diminishing returns are hitting cost-no-object status. As a rough percentage, I would rank the ff: Centurion = 100%, Chiron 8-wire = 97%, Chiron x Cleopatra I = 95%, Cleopatra I Octa = 87%, Cleopatra II 4-wire = 90% and my first EA cable the Lionheart = 60%. The best way for a cable upgrade IMHO is to add Chiron 4-wire to your heritage cables because, without a doubt, it elevates your existing cable into flagship status

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #6,338 of 7,926
IMG_20221015_164113_1.jpg

Gaea arrived in the house. The color combination of the faceplate is so nogalistic. Let it run in and let the listening begins.

Oct 15, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #6,339 of 7,926
IMG_20221015_164113_1.jpg

Gaea arrived in the house. The color combination of the faceplate is so nogalistic. Let it run in and let the listening begins.
oooh that looks pretty, does the female vocals sound good?

Oct 15, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #6,341 of 7,926
I’ve moved the Cleopatra II on now to the next person, but this was my final fling with the cable; Cleo II with LX out of the R8. This pairing came as a bit of surprise as it actually brought a smoothness to the sound. Great bass from the LX as you would expect, nice clear mids and highs that were clean and extended but we’re devoid of any sharpness. I thought this was a great listen, especially for me while I was working.

1A27D6A2-151C-49CF-A6E4-983F3F2ADC53.jpeg

Oct 15, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #6,342 of 7,926
I'm currently about 50 hours in on the Chiron x Cleopatra I OCTA and here's my quick review. Associated equipment is Campfire Andromeda CK Blue Edition and A&K SP2000 using "Sharp Roll Off" (aka linear phase, fast roll off) DAC filter.

First of all, the build is of course extremely good quality as with all EA cables. The titanium Y splits and plugs screams discreetly high end which IMO is a very nice touch. The cable feels slightly heavier than Centurion and Chiron 8-wire version but understandable since Chiron actually has less strands than Cleopatra from my brief talk with Suyang. This IMO is a huge plus since you're getting TOTL level of sound while reducing the weight of the cable significantly.

Lets get to sound impressions.

To get a baseline on what this cable is about, first I would describe Cleopatra I OCTA on its own with Cleopatra II bonus. Cleopatra I unlike the Cleopatra II, has a less emphasis on midbass thickness and it concentrates more on the subbass extension and emphasis. On the mids, Cleopatra I OCTA has forward vocals but with less warmth than many copper based cables, opting for a smoother/less macrodynamics yet slightly thinner mids though Cleopatra II is slightly more resolving/more dynamics without being artificial in this regard than Cleo I. On to the treble, I find that Cleo II is a lot more sparkly than version I OCTA in this regard but my preference is towards a slightly rolled-off treble of Cleopatra I though the OCTA helped with its treble resolution that's less forced to my ears.

Now onto the Chiron x Cleopatra I. If I were to gauge how much of a difference Chiron made, it made about 80% of its sound traits and retaining about 20% of Cleopatra I's sonics. However, that 20% of Cleopatra I's is of Cleopatra I's strengths: the subbass extension and emphasis as well as the smooth treble. The addition of Chiron in the mix did not reduce this subbass presence yet it elevates its resolution by retrieving more low-level rumble and texture than just Cleopatra alone. Anybody who has heard the Campfire Andromeda always notes that it lacks subbass with the stock cable. Chiron X Cleopatra I dispels all that claims and brings the best out of the Andromeda's subbass that one can never thought that this high quality subbass presence is coming out of the Campfire Andromeda itself. Moving on to the mids, I believe this is where Chiron has made its own signature that IMHO is a much better pairing to Andromeda than Cleopatra I. Chiron pretty much brings back the organic copper mids (not as much warmth) that's lacking with the Cleopatra I. In addition to the organic timbre, Chiron resolves microdetails a quite a bit more than Cleopatra, where nuances are more resolved, easily heard yet remained organic at all times. In comparison to the Chiron 8-wire, Chiron X Cleopatra I has more subbass presence while Chiron 8-wire is slightly more resolving in the mids and upper-bass. Tonality between the two cables is similar owing to Chiron's 80% influence to the sound as a whole while Cleopatra I only retained the subbass and the very slight treble smoothness. Now on to the treble, Chiron 8-wire is more sparkly, and slightly more nuanced in the texture and a hint airier than Chiron x Cleopatra I. However, Chiron x Cleopatra I is smoother yet does not feel that it's less resolving than Chiron 8-wire. Chiron 8-wire treble presence is akin to that of the Centurion cable where those two cables are almost identical in that region.

Bonus comparison: Centurion has more mid-bass presence than both 8-wire Chiron and Chiron x Cleopatra I while at the same time, more resolving in the texture. In the mids section, Centurion trades off a very slight organic timbre of the Chiron 8-wire for an even more micro-detailed resolution. I think the only section Centurion and Chiron 8-wire was beaten by Chiron x Cleopatra I is the subbass presence and texture. This combination is just the right timbre, texture and presence for Andromeda and I know that for other IEMs, the opposite would be the case.

So far I've mostly compared tonality. On to technicalities, Chiron X Cleopatra I right away has noticeable soundstage expansion than Cleopatra I Octa. If I were to rank the soundstage expansion, this would be the order IMHO: Centurion = 100%, Chiron 8-wire 97%, Chiron x Cleopatra I = 94%, Cleopatra I Octa = 85%, Cleopatra II = 75%, just a bonus, EA Lionheart = 50% of Centurion. In terms of detail retrieval, macrodynamics and microdynamics, once you have Chiron in the mix IMHO is splitting hairs between Centurion, Chiron 8-wire and Chiron x Cleopatra I where diminishing returns are hitting cost-no-object status. As a rough percentage, I would rank the ff: Centurion = 100%, Chiron 8-wire = 97%, Chiron x Cleopatra I = 95%, Cleopatra I Octa = 87%, Cleopatra II 4-wire = 90% and my first EA cable the Lionheart = 60%. The best way for a cable upgrade IMHO is to add Chiron 4-wire to your heritage cables because, without a doubt, it elevates your existing cable into flagship status
Thanks for sharing lots to consider after reading your review. Currently enjoying the cleo 2 wonder how that sound with the Chiron? Also does anyone know if Effect Audio make custom 6-stand cables?

Oct 15, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #6,343 of 7,926
Thanks for sharing lots to consider after reading your review. Currently enjoying the cleo 2 wonder how that sound with the Chiron? Also does anyone know if Effect Audio make custom 6-stand cables?

Definitely same thoughts. Will Chiron completely dominate Cleo 2's sound like it did with Cleo 1? The thing is that Cleo 2 is dual geometry so the chances of you getting a 6-wire braid is slim to none. I don't think Chiron is dual geometry from their website but maybe you can add 2 Chiron wires instead of 4 wires

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #6,345 of 7,926
Definitely same thoughts. Will Chiron completely dominate Cleo 2's sound like it did with Cleo 1? The thing is that Cleo 2 is dual geometry so the chances of you getting a 6-wire braid is slim to none. I don't think Chiron is dual geometry from their website but maybe you can add 2 Chiron wires instead of 4 wires
Good point on dual geometry, wondering if adding 2 strand of the Chiron to the Cleo 2 would be worth it? (Of course would depend on if effect audio would be willing to build it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back