FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #2,746 of 3,121
Glad to see the X3 Mark III is officially on the Fiio site and a thread has been started.

Although nothing posted in the thread yet it looks like the X3-III is a very nice step up from the X1-II. Looking forward to more information and some feedback in the coming weeks. Bluetooth 4.1 with AptX is a definite step up from the poor bluetooth implementation on the X1-II. Curious to see where Fiio prices this especially in comparison to the Sony A40 which we should see released in a few months.

Awesome times ahead for the DAP market. Just wish Fiio could start releasing DAP's with better battery life as the X3-III is still at 10 hours like the X3-II. It will make it hard for the X3-III to compete with the A40 at 3x the battery life.

So glad now I did not take the plunge on the X1-II. Hopefully the X3-III will be a more complete DAP on release vs the X1-II

For the price I think I read somewhere $200 USD and I agree about the battery life. Surely they could get something like 15-20 hours you'd think.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #2,747 of 3,121
Glad to see the X3 Mark III is officially on the Fiio site and a thread has been started.

Although nothing posted in the thread yet it looks like the X3-III is a very nice step up from the X1-II. Looking forward to more information and some feedback in the coming weeks. Bluetooth 4.1 with AptX is a definite step up from the poor bluetooth implementation on the X1-II. Curious to see where Fiio prices this especially in comparison to the Sony A40 which we should see released in a few months.

Awesome times ahead for the DAP market. Just wish Fiio could start releasing DAP's with better battery life as the X3-III is still at 10 hours like the X3-II. It will make it hard for the X3-III to compete with the A40 at 3x the battery life.

So glad now I did not take the plunge on the X1-II. Hopefully the X3-III will be a more complete DAP on release vs the X1-II
While the X3III is a step up from this DAP, the new X3III does not support aptx Bluetooth. Nowhere I read said aptx, only 4.1 which is the same as the X1II. I suspect it's because they are using similar chip set and Linux as they stated early on in this thread. However, it's offering balanced out and single ended, so it'll still be a nice step up. I'm not familiar with Sony, so I can't comment on those.

ETA: suggested retail price is $200. Battery life is better than their higher end and flagship DAP. I'd imagine it'll be longer playing mp3 or AAC files.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #2,748 of 3,121
ETA: suggested retail price is $200. Battery life is better than their higher end and flagship DAP. I'd imagine it'll be longer playing mp3 or AAC files.

Amazon and other retailers will most likely shave that retail price a bit. I've always found everybody's mileage differs on battery life attributed to whether they use Bluetooth, not to mention screen timeouts and high gain. With Apple officially ending two more standalone players, this is good timing for FiiO... especially with the design of the X3 Mark III and that fabulous touch wheel. I believe it was Rabelais that said "nature abhors a vacuum." I almost exclusively listen via balanced IEMs now, so this inclusion is a boon as well.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #2,749 of 3,121
I'll test all those things when I get the chance. Happily I mostly listen to flac and have screen brightness set to max at all times, but don't keep the screen open if not using it.

Kinda like.the typical usage scenario for someone who uses a dap outside.

Judging from how complete x3ii has been, I would guess that x3mkiii will be complete as well, fiio kinda got me used to releasing complete DAPs at good prices.

There are new offerings even at low prices and how they compare to FiiO's is something I am testing these days, all I can say so far is that all if them stack quite well and it will be a matter of taste and preference in the end.

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #2,750 of 3,121
While the X3III is a step up from this DAP, the new X3III does not support aptx Bluetooth. Nowhere I read said aptx, only 4.1 which is the same as the X1II. I suspect it's because they are using similar chip set and Linux as they stated early on in this thread. However, it's offering balanced out and single ended, so it'll still be a nice step up. I'm not familiar with Sony, so I can't comment on those.

My bad I guess I got carried away when I saw bluetooth 4.1 and assumed AptX support. Honestly I don't see a benefit to offering bluetooth then without AptX on a DAP. Anything below AptX quality doesn't sound good at all to me. Given that the Sony A40 will offer both AptX and LDAC bluetooth this will be a strike against the X3-III at least for me deciding between it and the A40.

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #2,752 of 3,121
My bad I guess I got carried away when I saw bluetooth 4.1 and assumed AptX support. Honestly I don't see a benefit to offering bluetooth then without AptX on a DAP. Anything below AptX quality doesn't sound good at all to me. Given that the Sony A40 will offer both AptX and LDAC bluetooth this will be a strike against the X3-III at least for me deciding between it and the A40.
I use bluetooth when exercising and when running and a bluetooth speaker when working around the house. Neither time I would consider being critical listening so it really makes no difference to me. I don't have a trained ear and literally can't hear the difference between flac, mp3, or AAC 100% and I doubt I'd notice when jogging...just saying. However, aptx is what is being offered by the competition in this price range (N3 and M2s), but they don't offer dual DACs and balanced out either, but they offer Hiby Link so you can use your phone to control them. It's very interesting to say the least what these manufacturers are packing in these devices for $150 to $200.

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #2,753 of 3,121
I use bluetooth when exercising and when running and a bluetooth speaker when working around the house. Neither time I would consider being critical listening so it really makes no difference to me. I don't have a trained ear and literally can't hear the difference between flac, mp3, or AAC 100% and I doubt I'd notice when jogging...just saying. However, aptx is what is being offered by the competition in this price range (N3 and M2s), but they don't offer dual DACs and balanced out either, but they offer Hiby Link so you can use your phone to control them. It's very interesting to say the least what these manufacturers are packing in these devices for $150 to $200.

It would appear that Cayin is targeting a wider audience with the cool features like Hiby Link on the N3 and AptX support. Fiio on the other hand is forgoing those cool features for what will arguably be features that should improve sound quality. When it comes to portable audio I guess I am leaning more toward Cayin's approach vs Fiio's. For me I do my serious listening at home but I also like to stream from my Sony DAP via LDAC to my home system. On my friends systems that aren't Sony they all support AptX. Dual DAC's and balanced out are great features but AptX support for me is simply more important for portable audio.

I don't understand why Fiio won't offer DAP's that support AptX at this price point when Cayin and Shanling do? Obviously it is possible for Fiio to choose to support AptX it since Cayin and Shanling did.

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #2,756 of 3,121
Can any one reliably hear and prove they can hear, a difference in Bluetooth 4.1 and AptX. I keep reading "Apartment X", LOL!

I know I can't - and I've volume matched. I use aac256 on my portables - and would rather have the native Bluetooth transmission anyway (iPhone or DAP to headphones - no transcoding). It all sounds great to me. I'm like you ORT - I personally find that all this "HD must sound better" doesn't apply to me in real world testing. The good thing is that I can then concentrate on what I can actually hear - and look at the actual features the DAP brings - rather than chasing any rainbows which don't apply to my personal situation.

My advice - test yourself. Find your limits. Make sure when you are testing that the playing field is level. Volume matched properly with a calibrated meter. Same tracks from same masters. No DSP or EQ. Get someone to help you so you can do it blind (they can randomise what you are testing and you have to see if you can tell a difference). You then get truth which can be applied to you personally. When they say "the truth will set you free" its quite literally true in my case. When I found my limits I could stop worrying about the small stuff (like formats, and some standards), and just concentrate on the music. Much more enjoyable :)

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #2,757 of 3,121
Can any one reliably hear and prove they can hear, a difference in Bluetooth 4.1 and AptX. I keep reading "Apartment X", LOL!

Most people including myself have gear with older versions of bluetooth with AptX. So the question isn't just about AptX and bluetooth 4.1 audible differences it is AptX across multiple versions of bluetooth. I for one can't afford to get rid of all my old bluetooth devices just to get new ones with version 4.1 or newer.

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #2,758 of 3,121
Most people including myself have gear with older versions of bluetooth with AptX. So the question isn't just about AptX and bluetooth 4.1 audible differences it is AptX across multiple versions of bluetooth. I for one can't afford to get rid of all my old bluetooth devices just to get new ones with version 4.1 or newer.
Most aptx stuff I've seen is backwards compatible. My N3 transmits Bluetooth fine to my non aptx speaker and Bluetooth headphone adapter.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #2,759 of 3,121
Most aptx stuff I've seen is backwards compatible. My N3 transmits Bluetooth fine to my non aptx speaker and Bluetooth headphone adapter.
Actually I am not referring to backward compatibility but the claim that bluetooth 4.1 codecs sound as good as AptX.

My Sony A17 and STRDN860 receiver support bluetooth 3.0 with AptX codec support. So if I get the X1-II or X3-III with bluetooth 4.1 and I want to stream to my receiver which only has bluetooth 3.0 support the streaming quality will be limited to what the receiver can support. At least with AptX I know I will get the best streaming quality my bluetooth 3.0 receiver can produce. I have two portable bluetooth speakers also with bluetooth 3.0 and AptX support. So right now a DAP with bluetooth 4.1 streaming to my bluetooth devices is overkill. Again at least with AptX I get the best sound possible with my current bluetooth gear.

My Sony A17 supports LDAC, AptX and SBC with bluetooth 3.0. I have streamed with all three bluetooth codecs and found LDAC > AptX > SBC in terms of sound quality with my home system. I am sure bluetooth 4.1 supported codecs are better than what version 3.0 supported but I currently can't take advantage of them with my current audio gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back