Final Thoughts: Sony MDR-XB1000 vs. Ultrasone Pro 900. Who is the Bass KING? ** Pictures **
May 1, 2011 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 138

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
Some of you have asked me to compare these two bass heavy headphones to see which is KING.  I have never owned or auditioned Ultrasone prior to buying the Pro 900.  The Pro 900 is not cheap with the street price of $399 on Amazon.  If you missed my unboxing video, you can watch it here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd1L4unc9g

After a few days of continuous burn-in, I spent some time listening to the Pro 900 and did some comparison against the Sony MDR-XB1000.  Like in all my impressions/final thoughts, all music files are AIFF uncompressed from my 2010 Mac Mini fed to my Cullen Modified PS Audio DAC connected to my Lehamann Audio Black Cube Linear amp.  I chose this headphones amp because it is neutral (no added flavor) and very powerful featuring TWO headphones out with enough power to spare.

Ultrasone Pro 900, Design & Comfort:

I like the design of these.  Kinda reminds me of my Sony MDR-V700dj with the swivel cups.  The ear pads sits on my ears and I did not find it uncomfortable with hours of listening.  Clamping pressure is pretty tight, but I don't have an issue with that.  I like the velar ear pads, no sweat issues.  The headphones came with a straight cable as well as a coil cable terminated with a high grade connector.

Ultrasone Pro 900 vs. Sony MDR-XB1000 Sound Quality:

The highs on the Pro 900 is very different from what I'm used to.  There is a spike at the upper high frequency.  It's a bit hard to listen to loud.  The highs is what I call "love or hate" relationship.  You really have to audition it before you buy it.  The bass is nice and full and a bit forward.  It's tight with a bit of boom to it.  The midrange is a bit recessed, but not is a bad way.  The overall sound is like listening to a car stereo with two 10" subs in the trunk and the tweeters up high on the door panel.  I use 10" subs because it is missing some sub-sonic bass found on 12" or 15" woofers.

Compared to the Sony MDR-XB1000 the Pro 900 is very different.  Bass on the XB1000 is bumpin' and you can play it loud and not notice it.  I find that you get a nice bass pressure in my head that I didn't get on the Pro 900.  The bass hits low and nicely defined compared to the Pro 900.  I say the XB1000 is like standing in the middle of the dance floor of a professionally tuned night club.  It's loud, but you like it.  Soundstage is wide and spacious.  If you like rap/hip-hop and you like brilliant highs and bass like subwoofers in a car trunk, the Pro 900 is your man.  If you like the bumpin' sub-sonic bass in your head with smooth highs, the XB1000 is it.  My pick is the XB1000.

May 1, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 138
I can't get over the size of the 1000 pads....

May 1, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 138

Quote:
LOL I know

it looks like it barely fits the stand

Yeah, well, if you ever got a flat tire, they would come in handy :)

May 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 138
There can be only one.

_1253676055.jpg

May 1, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 138
I've been having the jones for the Pro 900s, but maybe I'll wait for these pillow-phones to hit the US.  I'm curious how much street price will be on these.  Wired said $120, but that sounds low considering the 700s go for that...

edit - I see the 700s are only $80 on Amazon, so who knows how low the 1000s will be

May 1, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 138
I was shocked to see that the so-called German Ultrasones are made in Taiwan.

May 1, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 138
I've been having the jones for the Pro 900s, but maybe I'll wait for these pillow-phones to hit the US.  I'm curious how much street price will be on these.  Wired said $120, but that sounds low considering the 700s go for that...

edit - I see the 700s are only $80 on Amazon, so who knows how low the 1000s will be

I see the 1000 being upwards for 200, judging by prices people have bought them from Japan and what not.

May 1, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #10 of 138

Quote:
I was shocked to see that the so-called German Ultrasones are made in Taiwan.

Coming from someone in Motown?

Most cans are made in the Far East... save for the flagships

May 1, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 138
Great! thanks for the review, looks like I'm going for the XB1000s for my electronic music collection of dubstep and house music, just need to wait until they're released in NA so I can demo them and feel the bass for myself, and how they can handle some metal I throw at them.
beyersmile.png

May 1, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 138
Well looks like the XB1000 is the can I want. Wonder how much longer before it hits Canada? Thanks for the review DJ

May 1, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #14 of 138
Thanks for the review and the very nice pictures!

Both of them look great, but I'm partial to the Sony--just by looks alone (without ever having listened to it), the first thing that comes to my mind is something along the lines of "bad-ass bass".

May 1, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #15 of 138
It's a shame it takes such a long time for it to be released in europe and US from Sony's POV, they are missing a lot of potential cash here. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back