Flare EARS by Flare Audio
Aug 21, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #16 of 109
Aug 22, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #18 of 109
Seems a few people have commented on Indiegogo that they have received their perks. As well as a few frustrated comments.
First thing you learn is that you always gotta wait

My last crowdfunding experience was with Echobox, so this is a sprint by comparison.

A couple of promising first impressions on Indiegogo, but impossible to guage the backers' frame of reference.

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #20 of 109
So my S model perk have arrived. Attached are a few quick photos of what's included. Quick first impressions are that the beryllium driver does improve the sound quality. The earpieces do extend out of the ear a lot more. I do listen to music in bed at night and I don't know if this will cause a problem. There is an obvious weight difference between the e-3d-1 and S model (14g v 27g) but it really doesn't feel like they are double the weight.

Anyway, onto the photos.....

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image7.jpeg
image8.jpeg
image9.jpeg
image10.jpeg
image11.jpeg
image12.jpeg
image13.jpeg
image14.jpeg
image15.jpeg

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #21 of 109
Awesome. Off we go.
I love how the 'extra perk to look out for' turns out to be a signed note and a photo. How very Flare!

Aug 24, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #23 of 109
So after an evening and this morning listening to the new set, I have to say that I'm very impressed with the sound upgrade. The beryllium driver definately brings more out in the music. It sounds so natural. Listening to John Williams' Live in Vienna and The Berlin Concert just got me lost in the music. Even listening to my favourite bands OMD and Fleetwood Mac, got me enjoying the songs a lot more.

Just a note of warning for anyone who is listening to them for the first time, not having experienced the e-prototype or e-3d-1, the sound signature is different to anything you've heard before.

My only slight negative is the amount they protrude out of the ear, but the way they sound far outweighs this.

Aug 24, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #24 of 109
So after an evening and this morning listening to the new set, I have to say that I'm very impressed with the sound upgrade. The beryllium driver definately brings more out in the music. It sounds so natural. Listening to John Williams' Live in Vienna and The Berlin Concert just got me lost in the music. Even listening to my favourite bands OMD and Fleetwood Mac, got me enjoying the songs a lot more.

Just a note of warning for anyone who is listening to them for the first time, not having experienced the e-prototype or e-3d-1, the sound signature is different to anything you've heard before.

My only slight negative is the amount they protrude out of the ear, but the way they sound far outweighs this.
Intriguing. Are you using the stock tips or the Flare Audiophile foams, or something else?

Aug 24, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #26 of 109

Thanks for the impressions. How do they compare to the E-3D-1?

Aug 25, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #27 of 109
Hm, question. The big selling point of these earphones is that they're designed so that the sound will bounce cleanly inside the tube instead of scattering. But how is that better than something with a straight enclosure that goes as deep as the Flares? I'm thinking of the ER4, which can go pretty darn deep.

Aug 25, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #28 of 109
Thanks for the impressions. How do they compare to the E-3D-1?
For me, these are just a more polished and tweaked version of the e-3d-1. The beryllium driver in the S is obviously an upgrade on the e-3D-1 and it shows. Just more detail in the music and I’d say just more natural sounding. I listened to Seal’s Soul Live album last night and I know it’s a well worn cliche, but it’s the closest I’ve felt to actually being at a concert. I“m using them with my Astell&kern SR35 and they also seem to need less power to drive than the e-3D-1.

Aug 25, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #29 of 109
Hm, question. The big selling point of these earphones is that they're designed so that the sound will bounce cleanly inside the tube instead of scattering. But how is that better than something with a straight enclosure that goes as deep as the Flares? I'm thinking of the ER4, which can go pretty darn deep.
I have an old pair of ER4, but these are possibly 10 - 15 years old. I’ve not had any experience of the newer models, but I’d say these are much better sounding and a lot more comfortable. For me, my set of er4 doesn’t come close but obviously YMMV especially if you have a newer version of the er4. As for the science of the two, I’m happy to say that I haven’t got a clue as to why one would be better than the other and will leave that to someone in the know.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #30 of 109
How are you getting on, brother @shiftywxm?
Any more thoughts? I'm still waiting on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back