Flare EARS by Flare Audio
Sep 10, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #31 of 109
Had the EARS for over a week now, and have some initial thoughts (on the S model):

Sound is a natural evolution of where Flare started to go with the Flares Gold and Pro2HD, merged with the bolder and bassier sound of the E-Prototype. Bass is big but very textured and doesn't encroach on the higher frequencies. Clarity is excellent, pulling a lot of small details into the mix that can get buried or blurred on some IEMs I have.

Staging is large and enveloping, and overall the EARS are extremely immersive, pulling you in to the music very well.

The elephant in the room is the design. The actual barrel design is fine and comfortable, but they stick out from your ears write significantly, and the solid metal faceplate may be serving a purpose for the design, but in terms of economics it just adds a large amount of metal hanging off the rest of your IEMs that pulls them down and out of your ears when you are walking or moving around, especially so given that the "standard" fit is with the cable down. I have large ear cavities, and even with L foams, the fit isn't rock solid in terms of stability, so these lose seal easily and require constant adjustment for me. L in "cable down" mode.

I have discovered a better way to wear them for me - simply swap the cables on the L and R IEMs then swear then upside down in the ear. The channels are the same, the design is symmetrical so there are no fit issues and the cable then routes up and over the ear, helping to take the weight of the shell and keep the seal of the IEMs a lot easier when you agree moving around. To help further in this regard I have signed the tips out for some AZLA Xelastec (which basically glue the nozzles on my ear) and switched the cable for an ALO Audio SuperLitz, using the memory wire to aid in helping support the shell weight.

Sonically these are fantastic, but unless there is a rock solid reason for the outlandish design of the faceplate, that definitely feels like form over function for me here, and detracts from the otherwise excellent wearability and ergonomics of the rest of the housing design.

Sep 12, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #32 of 109
How are you getting on, brother @shiftywxm?
Any more thoughts? I'm still waiting on mine.
I’m just getting more and more impressed with the sound. These definitely recreate the most accurate sound for me in all of the IEMs I’ve ever owned or demoed. I’ve also now ordered a pair of the E models to see if the upgrade in sound is totally due to the upgraded driver or if there’s also some upgrade from the design.

Sep 12, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #33 of 109
Had the EARS for over a week now, and have some initial thoughts (on the S model):

Sound is a natural evolution of where Flare started to go with the Flares Gold and Pro2HD, merged with the bolder and bassier sound of the E-Prototype. Bass is big but very textured and doesn't encroach on the higher frequencies. Clarity is excellent, pulling a lot of small details into the mix that can get buried or blurred on some IEMs I have.

Staging is large and enveloping, and overall the EARS are extremely immersive, pulling you in to the music very well.

The elephant in the room is the design. The actual barrel design is fine and comfortable, but they stick out from your ears write significantly, and the solid metal faceplate may be serving a purpose for the design, but in terms of economics it just adds a large amount of metal hanging off the rest of your IEMs that pulls them down and out of your ears when you are walking or moving around, especially so given that the "standard" fit is with the cable down. I have large ear cavities, and even with L foams, the fit isn't rock solid in terms of stability, so these lose seal easily and require constant adjustment for me. L in "cable down" mode.

I have discovered a better way to wear them for me - simply swap the cables on the L and R IEMs then swear then upside down in the ear. The channels are the same, the design is symmetrical so there are no fit issues and the cable then routes up and over the ear, helping to take the weight of the shell and keep the seal of the IEMs a lot easier when you agree moving around. To help further in this regard I have signed the tips out for some AZLA Xelastec (which basically glue the nozzles on my ear) and switched the cable for an ALO Audio SuperLitz, using the memory wire to aid in helping support the shell weight.

Sonically these are fantastic, but unless there is a rock solid reason for the outlandish design of the faceplate, that definitely feels like form over function for me here, and detracts from the otherwise excellent wearability and ergonomics of the rest of the housing design.
I have to agree with you regarding the design. I think it would have been better to stay closer to the design of the e-3D-1 than the larger triangle. I may have to find a third party cable to take the cable around the ear to help with weight distribution.

Sep 13, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #34 of 109
I have to agree with you regarding the design. I think it would have been better to stay closer to the design of the e-3D-1

Visual comparison with the e-3D-1 is what made me think that the triangle had no other reason to exist than to have other people ask you about your unlike-any-other earphones, thereby increasing brand awareness and sales. It's less a case of form over function than of publicity over function.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #36 of 109
Visual comparison with the e-3D-1 is what made me think that the triangle had no other reason to exist than to have other people ask you about your unlike-any-other earphones, thereby increasing brand awareness and sales. It's less a case of form over function than of publicity over function.
Flare drive me mad at times.
Wish they would take a look at what the rest of the IEM industry can achieve in terms of industrial design, and come up with something a bit, well nicer.
And keep up with emerging standards:
4.4mm not 2.5mm
2-pin not MMCX
USB C not USB micro
I think sometimes that they should stop trying so hard to be different, gain a bit of humility and learn from what their competitors are doing well.
I'm just salty today cos mine haven't arrived yet.

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #37 of 109
IMG_0353.jpeg

IMG_0354.jpeg

Which pair are you going to feel more comfortable with wearing out and about?

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #39 of 109
Sep 13, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #40 of 109
Sep 13, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #42 of 109
This is the OLD design. The fit would be the same as the E-3D-1 if they used this design.
1694624689210.jpeg

What's the difference? New ones are sticky-outier?

Sep 13, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #44 of 109
The old design has the cable coming out of the end of the triangle. The new design has the cable coming out of an extension of the stem. Thus making the triangle protrude out away from the ear much farther.
Lordy. Again.

Dear Flare, please give us something that doesn't look like leftovers from a science experiment.

Best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back