Focal Clear headphones
Oct 7, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #167 of 12,543
But that spaciousness is exaggerated and not accurate. If you go a live performance of jazz for example, you hear the band playing in front of you. You won't hear someone hitting the snare -90 left next to your ear in real life.

So for me, the HD 800 is worse than the Focal Utopia in reproducing space as live jazz performances do not sound like that as the instruments are too seperated and all over the place.

That's true...but has nothing to do witht the point I was making. My point was that headphone design does have an impact on soundstage and perceived space.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #169 of 12,543
At 450 grams, this is a certain fail for me (and I suspect many others). There are too many top end choices that offer similar performance but with all day comfort. The average human head already weighs 13.5 pounds. Why would I would another FULL pound to it? Ugh...
Why did I read the one sentence as "full-sized human".
Seems I haven't had enough coffee as it's the morning, or I'm spending way too much time in these forums :p

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #171 of 12,543
So, it seems that so far, the Clear is a mix between the Elear and Utopia in terms of sound signature. From Jude's measurements, it seems like in comparison to the Elear the Clear is slightly bass-light, and has a less significant (but still present) 4k dip.
The promises of higher resolution than the Elear is exciting, but I'll take it with a grain of salt. Jude seems to be excited by new products a little too easily imo (no offense). It may be the different tuning allowing for greater perceived resolution, but can't say for sure before we get to demo ourselves.

To the Elear owners, it seems like the Clear could be a worthy upgrade, but it's by no means certaint. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the Clear, but I'm not confident enough in it to upgrade blindly. Can't wait to hear it!

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #172 of 12,543
I do hope there is a price drop like on Black Friday Sale and one could get it at a decent price. Anyone one who tried it can provide inputs on soundstage and timbre.

In any case am looking for a second HP to compliment my HD 800 . Maybe this would be the hp.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #174 of 12,543
Isn't this a bit of an exaggeration, Beagle? If I took you literally, then that would mean that any headphone with matched drivers should sound as spacious as an HD800. Yes, a well mastered spacious recording is THE prerequisite in order to have any chance at being able to hear a nice spacious soundstage via headphones. But the headphones matter also. Certain headphones, like the HD800, are undeniably better than others at reproducing the "space" in a well recorded track.
Any headphone with drivers sitting away from the ears is exaggerating space. It appears many people like space synthesisers rather than something that accurately reproduces (or attempts to reproduce) the soundstage that exists on the recording. If they like that effect fine, I often find it fun myself. You could place your loudspeakers (if anybody still owns any) 50 feet apart and say they are more 'spacious', but it is distortion and not a proper representation.

And besides, there is nothing natural about headphone listening anyway. I don't think 'reality' is bass between your ears, guitars on each side and a vocal hovering over your head.

Oct 7, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #175 of 12,543
I like focal philosophy. First elear and utopia half price and after the clear with a lot of cables and case for 1500€
This market is really sick

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #180 of 12,543
Mm...for Utopia owners like myself, steer clear as it is clearly a downgrade. For non-Utopia owners looking at the Focal line-up, the choice just got a lot tougher. :ksc75smile:

Agree with you, however it could be a good viable option for any Utopia owners who are in the market for a quality "transportable" headphone/Dap set up as it comes with a case and 1.2 cable included in the package. Shame it isn't Lemo connections though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back