Focal Clear headphones
Mar 11, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #12,452 of 12,617
The Clear's sound great with a Violectric amp, but I switched over my Valhalla 2 with Bugle Boys and they sound great and bassier. I can't believe I haven't put these on in more than two and a half months.
What a sweet sound! Mids and bass are SO good together.

I have to stop being so democratic with my headphones! :smile:

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #12,453 of 12,617
I LOVE my OG Clears. It's my only headphone that I don't have to software EQ some glaring flaw. That is after replacing the stock cable and stock ear pads though. Anyways, it sounds great with the xDuoo TA-22. Is there an amp that pairs well and expands the soundstage of the Clear, or a headphone that's similar with a more expansive soundstage?
Possibly Hifiman Arya Organic it's going to give you a more noticeable soundstage increase as well as HD800, but it's going to be very different in their sound signature. All of my focals sound absolutely amazing from my Shanling H5, and also the Aune S17, but there's some caveats with the Clears, just don't push them really hard with this amp.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #12,454 of 12,617
The Clear's sound great with a Violectric amp, but I switched over my Valhalla 2 with Bugle Boys and they sound great and bassier. I can't believe I haven't put these on in more than two and a half months.
What a sweet sound! Mids and bass are SO good together.

I have to stop being so democratic with my headphones! :smile:
👊 ... Agreed! Your headphones should earn their 'headtime'! Who's in charge here, anyway? 🫵 😐

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #12,455 of 12,617
👊 ... Agreed! Your headphones should earn their 'headtime'! Who's in charge here, anyway? 🫵
I have several sets of headphones up for sale that I have been running through. And a few newbies that demand attention.

But I will take control damnit! I swear.😠

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #12,456 of 12,617
I definitely agree with Shane on Clear OG with low/mid output impedance tube h/p/a! As much as I enjoy Clear OG + Violectric, the right tube h/p/a turbocharges Clear OG performance ...
IMG_7482.jpeg
🎼 🤪 🎶

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #12,457 of 12,617
I LOVE my OG Clears. It's my only headphone that I don't have to software EQ some glaring flaw. That is after replacing the stock cable and stock ear pads though. Anyways, it sounds great with the xDuoo TA-22. Is there an amp that pairs well and expands the soundstage of the Clear, or a headphone that's similar with a more expansive soundstage?
I listened to my clears on the naim atom and was pretty surprised with the increase in stage.

Very impressive device that atom but its not cheap.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #12,458 of 12,617
Possibly Hifiman Arya Organic it's going to give you a more noticeable soundstage increase as well as HD800, but it's going to be very different in their sound signature. All of my focals sound absolutely amazing from my Shanling H5, and also the Aune S17, but there's some caveats with the Clears, just don't push them really hard with this amp.
Im very tempted by the Aune S17, can you expand on the caveats?

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #12,459 of 12,617
I definitely agree with Shane on Clear OG with low/mid output impedance tube h/p/a! As much as I enjoy Clear OG + Violectric, the right tube h/p/a turbocharges Clear OG performance ... IMG_7481.jpeg🎼 🤪 🎶
Looks like a very solid, sturdy piece of gear (the blue one, of course).

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #12,460 of 12,617
I LOVE my OG Clears. It's my only headphone that I don't have to software EQ some glaring flaw. That is after replacing the stock cable and stock ear pads though. Anyways, it sounds great with the xDuoo TA-22. Is there an amp** that pairs well and expands the soundstage of the Clear, or a headphone that's similar with a more expansive soundstage?
** Icon Audio HP8, Linear Tube Audio MZ3, Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Gold / Liquid Platinum. EDIT: Add Hegerman Labs Tuba !!

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #12,461 of 12,617
Mar 11, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #12,462 of 12,617
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #12,463 of 12,617
Im very tempted by the Aune S17, can you expand on the caveats?
The sound that comes from the S17 and Clear's combo it's just amazing, and keep in mind I have a pretty low tier DAC, so with a better DAC it would sound even better.

In 100ma mode, low gain, the sound it's incredibly deep and holographic and also lush, kind of warm, bass it's also very punchy and extended, probably to much for the poor clears drivers, this is where the caveats come in.

On 100ma mode, low gain at around 45 on the volume is as loud as I can play them before they start clipping and distorting, I taken away all EQ on Roon, sometimes I can push them to 48, it might be my particular set of clears that are the problem but already try them out with my Shanling H5 and I don't have this problem with that portable amp even at higher volumes than with the S17.

If you want to know what I'm listening that has me concern, for example we have Q from Aethek, Lustmord from the Scorn soundtrack, when the deep drum comes in that's when they sometimes clip.

I just be careful how hard you push your Clear's if you decided to buy the S17, every other focal headphone it's fine and sounds excellent on this amp, it's just with the Clears that I have this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back