Focal Clear headphones
Mar 15, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #12,481 of 12,550
I've tried the clear in 3 of my 5 amps so far, Jot 2 is a stunner with clear. Odd thing is I didn't figure it would be, very clean black background and great extension and slam. I thought it would be good at least obviously but yeah I don't even want to try it in anything else.
I see in your signature that you have Liquid Platinum. That is a great h/p/a to pair with Clear OG; and if you use 12AU7-type tubes on adapters, 🤪😍.
IMG_7504.jpeg

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #12,482 of 12,550
I see in your signature that you have Liquid Platinum. That is a great h/p/a to pair with Clear OG; and if you use 12AU7-type tubes on adapters, 🤪😍. IMG_7504.jpeg
Yep ! I need to try it, I just run regular JJ gold pins though. I need to get some adapters and tubes I guess. Maybe I'll look into it but not really into tube chasing and rolling endlessly.

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #12,484 of 12,550
In your opinion, is the official clear mg cable good in terms of sound quality or should it be replaced?
[Insert ColSaulTigh's rant about Focal cables here.]

Buy literally ANYTHING else - it'll sound much better.

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #12,485 of 12,550
[Insert ColSaulTigh's rant about Focal cables here.]

Buy literally ANYTHING else - it'll sound much better.
Even if you obtain a cable with the same audible characteristics with zero improvement, I would recommend a replacement cable. I have or had, many headphones, and never have I had a cable as bad as the Focal cable. YMMV

Leo

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #12,487 of 12,550
The same old question: how can such a great headphone have such a bad stock cable (or, cables)? Oh well.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #12,489 of 12,550
The same old question: how can such a great headphone have such a bad stock cable (or, cables)? Oh well.
Headphone makers' expertise resides typically with the headphone, not with its ancillaries - such as cables. The cables often are 'budgetary' items, for which they are contracted out. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #12,490 of 12,550
Headphone makers' expertise resides typically with the headphone, not with its ancillaries - such as cables. The cables often are 'budgetary' items, for which they are contracted out. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'll give you that, although I've had quite good stock cables ... once in awhile. The cable that came with my FiiO FH5 comes to mind.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #12,492 of 12,550
I ordered a replacement cable from Audiophile Ninja the same day I ordered the Clears based on what the internet told me. The cans arrived last Wednesday. The cable didn't arrive until Saturday. I had to listen using the worst cables in history for 3 days until the replacement came. The alternative was to not listen which wasn't an option.

I found the Clears a bit fatiguing at first. The volume was likely just set too high which is easy to do when you like what you hear. I didn't care for any of the recommended EQ settings using SoundSource. They took all enjoyment out of the sound for me. Since turning down the volume, I have had no fatigue. We'll see how things go when DHL drops off my new balanced amp from China.

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #12,493 of 12,550
Even if you obtain a cable with the same audible characteristics with zero improvement, I would recommend a replacement cable. I have or had, many headphones, and never have I had a cable as bad as the Focal cable. YMMV

Leo
Yep, focal stock cables look good for a photo shoot, but they're truly, absolute trash and compare to other HP manufacturers, including other european ones, they're really lagging behind, it wasn't acceptable in 2016 but people suck it up because it was a focal headphone, nowadays it's just insulting.

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #12,494 of 12,550
believe me I was about to sell the clear, then I changed the cable and connected it to the little dot mk2 and here is the magic, clear great headphones.
Oh definitively, right now listening on the office with my shanling H5 my Clears and it's glorious, really unfortunate the cable situation tho.

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #12,495 of 12,550
I ordered a replacement cable from Audiophile Ninja the same day I ordered the Clears based on what the internet told me. The cans arrived last Wednesday. The cable didn't arrive until Saturday. I had to listen using the worst cables in history for 3 days until the replacement came. The alternative was to not listen which wasn't an option.

I found the Clears a bit fatiguing at first. The volume was likely just set too high which is easy to do when you like what you hear. I didn't care for any of the recommended EQ settings using SoundSource. They took all enjoyment out of the sound for me. Since turning down the volume, I have had no fatigue. We'll see how things go when DHL drops off my new balanced amp from China.
I would recommend you change the pads on your clears, I'm using the dekoni elite velour pads and I haven't need to use EQ for my clears since I got them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back