Focal Clear headphones
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #12,466 of 12,550
I LOVE my OG Clears. It's my only headphone that I don't have to software EQ some glaring flaw. That is after replacing the stock cable and stock ear pads though. Anyways, it sounds great with the xDuoo TA-22. Is there an amp that pairs well and expands the soundstage of the Clear, or a headphone that's similar with a more expansive soundstage?
Oh. fellow TA-22 user. I'm using RCA Clear top tubes to expand the soundstage on TA-22. But u tend to lose abit of bass

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #12,467 of 12,550
The sound that comes from the S17 and Clear's combo it's just amazing, and keep in mind I have a pretty low tier DAC, so with a better DAC it would sound even better.

In 100ma mode, low gain, the sound it's incredibly deep and holographic and also lush, kind of warm, bass it's also very punchy and extended, probably to much for the poor clears drivers, this is where the caveats come in.

On 100ma mode, low gain at around 45 on the volume is as loud as I can play them before they start clipping and distorting, I taken away all EQ on Roon, sometimes I can push them to 48, it might be my particular set of clears that are the problem but already try them out with my Shanling H5 and I don't have this problem with that portable amp even at higher volumes than with the S17.

If you want to know what I'm listening that has me concern, for example we have Q from Aethek, Lustmord from the Scorn soundtrack, when the deep drum comes in that's when they sometimes clip.

I just be careful how hard you push your Clear's if you decided to buy the S17, every other focal headphone it's fine and sounds excellent on this amp, it's just with the Clears that I have this problem.
Thanks for that description. I'm assuming 45 isn't enough volume for you. How do they sound in 50ma mode? Is 50ma mode not even worth it after hearing 100ma mode?

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #12,469 of 12,550
Thanks for that description. I'm assuming 45 isn't enough volume for you. How do they sound in 50ma mode? Is 50ma mode not even worth it after hearing 100ma mode?
It will depend in the music and your personal taste, personally I sometimes prefer the 50ma depending the headphones I'm using, for example the Radiance with some music can come very much thick, with the clear's specifically, I always prefer the 100ma because it smooths out some of the troubling regions in the frequency response of this headphones like the upper mids/lower treble, without taking much of the clarity, so I don't need to use EQ on them as much if ever.

Just to clarify, 45 on the volume was on low gain, if I went to high gain on 45 it would probably start distorting/clipping at that point at it would be too loud even for me.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #12,470 of 12,550
It will depend in the music and your personal taste, personally I sometimes prefer the 50ma depending the headphones I'm using, for example the Radiance with some music can come very much thick, with the clear's specifically, I always prefer the 100ma because it smooths out some of the troubling regions in the frequency response of this headphones like the upper mids/lower treble, without taking much of the clarity, so I don't need to use EQ on them as much if ever.

Just to clarify, 45 on the volume was on low gain, if I went to high gain on 45 it would probably start distorting/clipping at that point at it would be too loud even for me.
Again, much thanks for the info. I think I'm going to get an Aune S17 Pro and a Musical Paradise MP-DX tube DAC. That combo seems like a match made in heaven. I have a LCD-3 and LCD-4 that will probably like the Class A power of the Aune.

Just FYI, the Dekoni Elite Velour pads fix the issues you're describing without EQ. I was sensitive to those regions as well until I swapped. Big difference.

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #12,471 of 12,550
Again, much thanks for the info. I think I'm going to get an Aune S17 Pro and a Musical Paradise MP-DX tube DAC. That combo seems like a match made in heaven. I have a LCD-3 and LCD-4 that will probably like the Class A power of the Aune.

Just FYI, the Dekoni Elite Velour pads fix the issues you're describing without EQ. I was sensitive to those regions as well until I swapped. Big difference.
Is your LCD-4 the 100-ohm version or the 200-ohm version? The latter will require more current. Any switching from 100 mA to 50 mA may be detrimental to LCD-4's performance.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #12,473 of 12,550

My LCD2Cs sound great on this amp, planning to get a pair of used LCD-X probably next month, need more planars on my collection tbh and I like Audeze's house sound and they handle EQ really well in my experience.

Yep, Dekoni velour elite pads pretty much smooth much of the troublesome regions in the frequency response, the S17 fixes the rest, tho putting a tube DAC on the chain might be too much of a good thing tho imo. A guy on the S17 thread in this forum observed that with his Gustard R26 the sound from the S17 was too smooth for his liking, so words of caution there, I'm aware the Gustard it's not a Tube DAC, but if that tube DAC it's on the smooth-warm end of the spectrum, you might be doubling down with the S17 on the chain.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #12,474 of 12,550
Is your LCD-4 the 100-ohm version or the 200-ohm version? The latter will require more current. Any switching from 100 mA to 50 mA may be detrimental to LCD-4's performance.
The current switching on the S17 doesn't change the power delivery of this amp nor the impedance of the HP outputs, it's more like a change in the sound tonality of the amp. Because I'm looking to get tungsten, I was looking into the specs of my S17, in short, this amp is capable of producing up to 16v on the balance HP outputs, assuming also you're running a balance amp that's capable of producing 4v out of it's balance outputs, you'll have to see given those specs if the S17 it's going to produce enough power to drive your cans to you habitual listening levels.

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #12,475 of 12,550
My LCD2Cs sound great on this amp, planning to get a pair of used LCD-X probably next month, need more planars on my collection tbh and I like Audeze's house sound and they handle EQ really well in my experience.

Yep, Dekoni velour elite pads pretty much smooth much of the troublesome regions in the frequency response, the S17 fixes the rest, tho putting a tube DAC on the chain might be too much of a good thing tho imo. A guy on the S17 thread in this forum observed that with his Gustard R26 the sound from the S17 was too smooth for his liking, so words of caution there, I'm aware the Gustard it's not a Tube DAC, but if that tube DAC it's on the smooth-warm end of the spectrum, you might be doubling down with the S17 on the chain.
That's funny, i'm in the exact opposite boat. I had the entire LCD line at one point and I'm now looking for something else and Focal so far has really impressed me and opened my eyes to the capabilities of dynamic drivers.

I was wondering the same thing about the tube dac/amp mismatch. My assumption was that if 100ma mode was too warm/smooth then I could roll back to 50ma. I also have a collection of 6922 tubes that the DAC uses already. Most of them are very detail oriented tubes as opposed to warm lush sounding. The DAC also lets you roll Coupling capacitors which I already have a few of...with some being on the lush side and some being very transparent. I figured I at least have options to tinker with the sound if need be....thats the fun of tubes and caps IMO. Also, if I get the Aune S17 Pro from Amazon I will have a zero hassle return if needed. Thanks again for your wisdom and words of caution.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #12,476 of 12,550
That's funny, i'm in the exact opposite boat. I had the entire LCD line at one point and I'm now looking for something else and Focal so far has really impressed me and opened my eyes to the capes of dynamic drivers.

I was wondering the same thing about the tube dac/amp mismatch. My assumption was that if 100ma mode was too warm/smooth then I could roll back to 50ma. I also have a collection of 6922 tubes that the DAC uses already. Most of them are very detail oriented tubes as opposed to warm lush sounding. The DAC also lets you roll Coupling capacitors which I already have a few of...with some being on the lush side and some being very transparent. I figured I at least have options to tinker with the sound if need be....thats the fun of tubes and caps IMO. Also, if I get the Aune S17 Pro from Amazon I will have a zero hassle return if needed. Thanks again for your wisdom and words of caution.
Well, if you're all set up to roll your tube DAC, then maybe you can upset any kind of imbalance you have on the headphones, so I wouldn't worry that much, but one thing for sure, given reports from other people on the S17 thread, this amp benefits from having better DACs on the chain.

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #12,477 of 12,550
So I finally grabbed a pair of clears. I was always interested but the original $1500 was a little steep for me, especially when they first launched. Years later in the journey and acquiring a pair of Elex used, really wet the whistle so to speak. Picked up a pair from headphones.com and I am very very happy with them. $790 best deal in audio.

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #12,478 of 12,550
So I finally grabbed a pair of clears. I was always interested but the original $1500 was a little steep for me, especially when they first launched. Years later in the journey and acquiring a pair of Elex used, really wet the whistle so to speak. Picked up a pair from headphones.com and I am very very happy with them. $790 best deal in audio.
Welcome to the club, at $790 usd, new, the Clears are a bargain and it's probably the best open back dynamic headphone under $1k, give us your impressions once you have some listening time with them.

Mar 13, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #12,479 of 12,550
That's what I paid 18 months ago. The love affair is still going strong. Worth every penny, and then some.

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #12,480 of 12,550
I've tried the clear in 3 of my 5 amps so far, Jot 2 is a stunner with clear. Odd thing is I didn't figure it would be, very clean black background and great extension and slam. I thought it would be good at least obviously but yeah I don't even want to try it in anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back