Focal Clear headphones
Mar 25, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #12,497 of 12,543
I would recommend you change the pads on your clears, I'm using the dekoni elite velour pads and I haven't need to use EQ for my clears since I got them.
Dekoni Fenestrated arrived today. I'm giving them a go. So far, they are more fatiguing. I may get the velours depending on how the new amp affects them.
The stock cables are kind of crappy when it comes to dealing with them physically but they don't make the headphone sound bad. That's ridiculous, I have an after market cable as well and there's no change in sound.
I don't think anyone has ever said that the cables sound bad. That doesn't disqualify them from being completely unacceptable.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #12,498 of 12,543
Dekoni Fenestrated arrived today. I'm giving them a go. So far, they are more fatiguing. I may get the velours depending on how the new amp affects them.

I don't think anyone has ever said that the cables sound bad. That doesn't disqualify them from being completely unacceptable.
I don't agree that they are completely unacceptable. There's 3 terminations (the short 3.5 with 6.3 adapter is a good cable actually) the other 2 could be better and way to long but perfectly serviceable.

Mar 25, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #12,500 of 12,543
I know the focal cables are complete crap because my amp it's sensitive to cables that are not well insulated and with the long XLR cable that comes with the Clears, the temperatures in my S17 went up really quickly, got a pair of periapt cables and puff, temperature problem gone, so it's not just a question of ergonomics, but the actual quality of the cables themselves. Soundwise, I declare myself agnostic in that regard.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #12,501 of 12,543
@ColSaulTigh Is the rant in question about all of the cables, or just the braided ones? I already replaced those, and I previously didn’t have much use for the 3.5 mm cable, but I just picked up a Chord Mojo 2, and I think the Clear sounds really good on it with the short 3.5 mm cable. Do you think there is significant improvement to be had with replacing that one?

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #12,502 of 12,543
@ColSaulTigh Is the rant in question about all of the cables, or just the braided ones? I already replaced those, and I previously didn’t have much use for the 3.5 mm cable, but I just picked up a Chord Mojo 2, and I think the Clear sounds really good on it with the short 3.5 mm cable. Do you think there is significant improvement to be had with replacing that one?
The long, almost 3m long xlr cable, that was increasing the temps on my S17 crazy fast, changed the cable to periapt, problem gone.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #12,503 of 12,543
The long, almost 3m long xlr cable, that was increasing the temps on my S17 crazy fast, changed the cable to periapt, problem gone.
Yeah, that thing is a rigid monster. I have a fairly cheap replacement for it that is working well enough - the Apos Flow. I also tried the one from headphones.com - the Listenmore, but that one was a bummer with the WA 22 - plug barely fit and it made contact, causing a microphonic issue. Holding off on getting a good XLR, because I heard the Tungsten comes w/ one :ksc75smile:

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #12,504 of 12,543
I recently bought Focal Clear MG and it seems they do random annoying cracking noises if Im using them with a plugged in device (my computer, fiio k5pro, fiio k7), but when using my phone to drive them, it disappears, is it a stock cable issue?

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #12,505 of 12,543
Having both a Clear MG and an OG Utopia, I can say, whole-heartedly, IMO, any stock Focal cable is garbage and should be used as a method of testing if a headphone works, and that's it. I think they are physically unwieldy and uncomfortable, and sonically inferior to literally anything else, shy of cheap Chi-fi cables. For my MG's the best bang-for-the-buck cable is an @NinjaJeremy Audiophile Ninja cable. Step up for either would be Nornes (Einvaldi, in my case), and to go TOTL for the OG Utopia, the Tara Labs Omega Live w/HFX. Granted, those are extreme, but I have a connection (pun intended), so it doesn't hurt quite as bad as retail suggests.

But if you want a dramatic improvement, spend $100 with @NinjaJeremy and you'll be very, very satisfied.

IMO, YMMV, etc. etc. etc.

(and yes, I hate their stock cables that much.)

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #12,506 of 12,543
Having both a Clear MG and an OG Utopia, I can say, whole-heartedly, IMO, any stock Focal cable is garbage and should be used as a method of testing if a headphone works, and that's it. I think they are physically unwieldy and uncomfortable, and sonically inferior to literally anything else, shy of cheap Chi-fi cables. For my MG's the best bang-for-the-buck cable is an @NinjaJeremy Audiophile Ninja cable. Step up for either would be Nornes (Einvaldi, in my case), and to go TOTL for the OG Utopia, the Tara Labs Omega Live w/HFX. Granted, those are extreme, but I have a connection (pun intended), so it doesn't hurt quite as bad as retail suggests.

But if you want a dramatic improvement, spend $100 with @NinjaJeremy and you'll be very, very satisfied.

IMO, YMMV, etc. etc. etc.

(and yes, I hate their stock cables that much.)
Yep, Focal makes some great headphones but they have some really "weird" and frankly antiquated practices, to put it lightly, specially for today's market, makes it really hard to justify sometimes some of their offerings, specially for their asking price. I still love all my focals, but the fact that for example, I cannot get an original focal radiance replacement pads and focal refuses to sell one really gets under my nerves, the cables are just the turd on top of this crap sandwich.

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #12,507 of 12,543
I recently bought Focal Clear MG and it seems they do random annoying cracking noises if Im using them with a plugged in device (my computer, fiio k5pro, fiio k7), but when using my phone to drive them, it disappears, is it a stock cable issue?
Cracking in one side or both sides. Phones may not have enough power to reveal issues (if there are real issues with the hp). Random or during low frequency bass?

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #12,509 of 12,543
Yep, Focal makes some great headphones but they have some really "weird" and frankly antiquated practices, to put it lightly, specially for today's market, makes it really hard to justify sometimes some of their offerings, specially for their asking price. I still love all my focals, but the fact that for example, I cannot get an original focal radiance replacement pads and focal refuses to sell one really gets under my nerves, the cables are just the turd on top of this crap sandwich.

Is it even legal ?

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #12,510 of 12,543
Give these earpads a serious consideration. Search Amazon for focal earpads and look for the one by Voarmaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back