Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jul 26, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,216 of 5,632
  Would anyone here have heard both a Hifiman HE400S and the new Elears?

I'm curious exactly how big of a monumental jump I'd be making. Like all this time I've been sitting behind the wheel of a _________ and then suddenly sliding in behind the wheel of a ___________.

I haven't heard the Elear personally as of yet but I find your analogy amusing - I own a couple of the very well respected 1k~ price range headphones however and as a huge fan of the HE400S (I'd say it's one of the best price:performance headphones ever) I'll bite,

To me the jump from the 400S to the newest rev LCD-2s for example felt like I'd gone from being behind the wheel of a C Class Benz to suddenly driving an S Class. So not quite going from the C to like a Maybach or a Bentley Continental, but still very noticeable.

PS: I'm talking sonic performance of course, comfort, looks, etc asides (I personally find the LCD-2 very comfortable but I am aware this is not widely agreed upon).

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,217 of 5,632

Everything got push back 6 to 8 weeks from the initial launch.  I would probably guess the other dealers would start getting theirs in September but what do I know.  I purchased through The Source AV and they are now looking at the second week of August for delivery and I was originally in the 1st batch of Elears.

Latest news we have is our delivery is Aug 15. But like all new launches who knows it that will stick.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 26, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #1,219 of 5,632
Oh hell no!  The TH900 (and I assume the mk2) is probably the most bass-heavy 'audiophile' headphone currently available. :veryevil: ​

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf

Uh oh. This is my 666th post! Mwaah Ha Ha Ha! :evil:  

The power of IV compels you! Begone. :D

Yea ot was wishful thinking i suppose. That said I am secretly relieved. Didn't want to have to replace those wonderful red cups anyway.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #1,220 of 5,632

Yeah, same here. Get some good basshead cans for when you want to boom out. I just got the Sony MDR-Z7 and they pretty much rock for that; great EDM, rap, electronica, etc. 

The other thing about bass is the Focal 40mm drivers are not really going to cut it for a really booming bass. You need big transducers for that (the above Sony's have 70mm ones!). The HD800/S have 56mm drivers so even those are technically more capable of booming bass, when properly driven. I'm not saying transducer size is the only thing that makes deep driving bass though I think it's more difficult in smaller diameter drivers. 

I own a pair of Sony MDR-Z7, They have clean bass. Now the JVC SZ2000. Now that is made for bass. I blew people away with the Cayin c5 with the bass eq'd. To my personal bass addiction i found the Sony's bass light. But i guess to some it may tickle there fancy. lol 

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #1,221 of 5,632
  I own a pair of Sony MDR-Z7, They have clean bass. Now the JVC SZ2000. Now that is made for bass. I blew people away with the Cayin c5 with the bass eq'd. To my personal bass addiction i found the Sony's bass light. But i guess to some it may tickle there fancy. lol 

I've tried those before, they're more a novelty than something really listenable due to the really shallow earpads and also over all weight. The bass experience is fairly insane though. 
basshead.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #1,222 of 5,632

I've tried those before, they're more a novelty than something really listenable due to the really shallow earpads and also over all weight. The bass experience is fairly insane though. 
basshead.gif

Yes, comfort wise they are terrible cans. But that bass brah lol. I got the Z7's on in my profile pic. I love those headphones. I would say the biggest waste of money i have spent was on the - 
Ultrasone Edition 8 Romeo. They are so small, It's like the Germans made them for people of smaller proportions. lol 

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #1,223 of 5,632
Back on topic. I'm craving smooth and clear crisp sound. I'm over the basshead days. There is a new drug i'm after, its called sound. So the time the Focal hits stores, i will be buying them. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #1,224 of 5,632
mmm.....having very good bass performance (mine would be that it goes  deep, satisfying, punchy,  layered, highly detailed or textured without overwhelming the rest of the FR) and on a very resolving headphones such as the Focal Utopia (as confirmed in this thread by those who have auditioned it)  is highly desirable since a lot of us (I presume) already have or heard or know the capabilities of  the 800 or 800 S or the Audezes or the TH 900 or the Beyer T1/1.2. I'd rather have that bass when the music calls for it than without since my taste in music is varied, from the classics to the contemporary and everything in between.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #1,225 of 5,632
Hello Gang!

You have 2 guys here on Head-Fi that have been great supporters of The Source AV. You have Steve "Audio Addict" in the Chicago area and Lee "Grizzlybeast" in the Portland Oregon area. Both gentlemen are soon to be proud owners of the Focal Elear.

The point of this announcement is to let you know that I am lending them both a set of Elear and Utopia for those of you that can arrange the time and are in their area to evaluate and enjoy these great headphones. Contact Audio Addict for more information about their 8/13/16 meet and contact Grizzlybeast if your near the Portland area for their meet this coming weekend 7/30/16. Enjoy and be sure to let us know your impression on these great Focal headphones.

Thanks Jason. Didn't realize you posted!!! Pretty exciting! 

Also thanks for being so responsive and genuinely concerned. 

Hola, This is my first post on this site. I have been a ghost in the background. But this Focal Elear headphone is really peeking my interest. And it would 
be my first open back set. How much different do open back headphones sound compared to higher end Closed back cans ? Sorry, yes newbie reply. 
Does anyone know if a dealer in the Nj/Ny area will have a pair in-stock to demo ? 

Everything got push back 6 to 8 weeks from the initial launch.  I would probably guess the other dealers would start getting theirs in September but what do I know.  I purchased through The Source AV and they are now looking at the second week of August for delivery and I was originally in the 1st batch of Elears.

I can't wait to read your impressions of them. I know they will be honest like always.  

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,226 of 5,632
Fidelio X1s and X2s for north of neutral bass. It won't draw out the rest of the sound though 
biggrin.gif

Back to 
popcorn.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #1,228 of 5,632
I somehow think you would enjoy the Elear quite a bit.

I think so too.
Though the X2 isn't my first go-to headphone :D
If there's ever a tour, I call dibs :)

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,229 of 5,632
  In general, open-back headphones almost always sound more 'open' and less closed-in sounding than a closed back headphone.

But open-backs are not universally superior to closed-backs  They both have their own unique sets of strengths and weaknesses.

As far a finding a dealer goes, not all Focal dealers will be carrying their headphones.  You'll just have to call around to find out which ones do.

Here's a list to help you get started.

http://www.focal.com/usa/en/stores?country=21&city=newjersey#

Yes, i finally got word from a dealer not to far from my home in NJ that they will receive both models on August 10th. Can't wait to go try them. Than more then likely i will be walking out with my 
very own Elear's 

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #1,230 of 5,632
  Yes, i finally got word from a dealer not to far from my home in NJ that they will receive both models on August 10th. Can't wait to go try them. Than more then likely i will be walking out with my 
very own Elear's

Sweet!  Let us know what you think of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back