Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jul 28, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #1,251 of 5,632
I've only ever dealt with audio affair online or over the phone and they have been brilliant.
Who do you recommend in the uk?
It's unfair for me to say it like I have but it was surreal how they treated me when I went for an audition. 'Go on buy you know you want to. Come on get it today you won't regret it.'

Hifi lounge in Bedford. Take a look at their website. You could audition the Focal range when they arrive all day there, and they will bring you tea and biscuits and bend over backwards for you, and not question you on buying something. The place is like Charlie's chocolate factory for weirdos like us.

Jul 28, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #1,252 of 5,632
Audio Affair lost me as a (brand new to them) customer for HD 800 S over the new year period when the first 20 or so HD 800 S had arrived in the UK. I was told, hand on heart, that my HD 800 S was in stock when I placed a phone order.

It wasn't in stock when it came to sending out my order.

They were polite, responsive and helpful. They were willing to make substantial financial amends, too. So, overall they were pleasant.

I never pre-order stuff, so once my order had turned into a pre-order I went somewhere else. Lesson: hand on box trumps hand on heart.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #1,253 of 5,632
Audio Affair lost me as a (brand new to them) customer for HD 800 S over the new year period when the first 20 or so HD 800 S had arrived in the UK. I was told, hand on heart, that my HD 800 S was in stock when I placed a phone order.

It wasn't in stock when it came to sending out my order.

They were polite, responsive and helpful. They were willing to make substantial financial amends, too. So, overall they were pleasant.

I never pre-order stuff, so once my order had turned into a pre-order I went somewhere else. Lesson: hand on box trumps hand on heart.
The same thing happened to me with Audio Affair,some years ago,when i ordered the hd800 from them online,in stock,next day delivery if you order before 1500 lol.six weeks later i got them(made alot of phone calls to them as well)seems like there still doing the same,basically saying they have stock in,when in fact they don't.I would never buy anything from Audio Affair again.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,254 of 5,632
It looks like I might have an opportunity to trade my HD800S for these here in the uk. Early impressions, especially about the bass, seem to fit with my tastes over the HD800S. The 800S are just so good though I can't help thinking this would be a mistake. I'm going to wait for more reviews and measurements to form a better understanding about them first and hopefully I can get to trial them before hand.
I'm not sure if anyone who has listened yet can comment but would these be an upgrade/sidegrade of downgrade to the HD800S?

Are talking about the Elear or the Utopia?  In my opinion, the Utopia is an upgrade from the 800S and the Elear is a slight downgrade.

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #1,256 of 5,632
Down grade in what aspect? If you want more bass it could be an "upgrade" in enjoyment.

Comfort, less 'reference' / less overall resolution and micro-detail. 

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #1,257 of 5,632
Comfort, less 'reference' / less overall resolution and micro-detail. 

Can't remember whose review it was but I actually read someone say they found the Utopia/Elear to be more comfortable than the HD800 series - think they said it was due to the fact the weight distribution is really well achieved and that the ear cups feel less "loose" given how gigantic the opening on the Sennheiser pads are.

Of course I'm very sceptical, especially as someone with pretty big ears, but I definitely am looking forward to trying it out for myself when I get an e-mail saying the Elear available for purchase at our Focal dealer.

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #1,258 of 5,632

Can't remember whose review it was but I actually read someone say they found the Utopia/Elear to be more comfortable than the HD800 series - think they said it was due to the fact the weight distribution is really well achieved and that the ear cups feel less "loose" given how gigantic the opening on the Sennheiser pads are.

Of course I'm very sceptical, especially as someone with pretty big ears, but I definitely am looking forward to trying it out for myself when I get an e-mail saying the Elear available for purchase at our Focal dealer.

I certainly noticed them pressing around my ears more than I do the HD800S. I wouldn't call them uncomfortable, just more noticeable and a bit heavier too. 

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,259 of 5,632

That comments was made on the audio head review. Could have been their Utopia review though.

http://audio-head.com/focal-elear-headphone-review/

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,260 of 5,632
That comments was made on the audio head review. Could have been their Utopia review though.

http://audio-head.com/focal-elear-headphone-review/

Possibly yea, I found another one in the Verge's review of both models,

"Both of these headphones, though, are exceptionally comfortable, putting to shame many of their designed-by-numbers rivals. I didn’t have many complaints about the comfort of the HD 800 S, but the Focal Utopia is definitely ahead in this department and I’d even go so far as to say I prefer the Elear, too."

Again, fairly sceptical but it's good to know that they at least compete, comfort is a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back