HiBy R8 II - HiBy's New High-End DAP
Mar 17, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #451 of 508
Interesting. Thank you.

If the house sound is similar to the r6p2 I will probably like it.

Finding the r6p2 wanting in technicalities, soundstage depth and subtly noisy at higher gain levels (compared to what i’m used to to). It’s an excellent DAP at the price but hoping the r8ii will take it that much further.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #453 of 508
I just finished a 2nd read through this thread and I spent some time with the reviews @twister6 and @gLer posted, so apologies if this has been covered already…

I am surprised by the very slight affect that Turbo Boost has on the monitors (Mezzo and Singularity) I have tried so far with my new r8ii. I had my studio partner listen as well while we toggled the Turbo Boost switch on and off. We came to the conclusion that it appears to provide a 1-2 volume click boost with the Singularity and the Mezzo (with the r8ii set to Medium Gain). The boost is about as perceptible as the change between class A and AB (and I agree with most here that I prefer AB, which is quite different to how I felt about my N7 and N30LE when I had them). All of this said, can someone here explain to me what the Turbo Boost is doing mechanically and how does the monitor used influence the boost? Granted, neither the Mezzo or Singularity require much power so is the very very slight boost due to transducer sensitivity? I’ve settled on Medium Gain/AB and I’ve observed the same results whether I switched to a high volume setting on Low Gain or a low volume setting on High Gain.

My surprise may be the result of how obviously the switch to P+ or Hyper Mode on the N30LE affected the output performance. So far, with my limited time with the r8ii, and just these monitors available to me, the Turbo Boost has been barely noticeable. I appreciate any enlightenment you can provide.

P.S. I updated the r8ii to the latest firmware as soon as I opened it and I notice the same Turbo Boost performance no matter what filter options I choose.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #454 of 508
I just finished a 2nd read through this thread and I spent some time with the reviews @twister6 and @gLer posted, so apologies if this has been covered already…

I am surprised by the very slight affect that Turbo Boost has on the monitors (Mezzo and Singularity) I have tried so far with my new r8ii. I had my studio partner listen as well while we toggled the Turbo Boost switch on and off. We came to the conclusion that it appears to provide a 1-2 volume click boost with the Singularity and the Mezzo (with the r8ii set to Medium Gain). The boost is about as perceptible as the change between class A and AB (and I agree with most here that I prefer AB, which is quite different to how I felt about my N7 and N30LE when I had them). All of this said, can someone here explain to me what the Turbo Boost is doing mechanically and how does the monitor used influence the boost? Granted, neither the Mezzo or Singularity require much power so is the very very slight boost due to transducer sensitivity? I’ve settled on Medium Gain/AB and I’ve observed the same results whether I switched to a high volume setting on Low Gain or a low volume setting on High Gain.

My surprise may be the result of how obviously the switch to P+ or Hyper Mode on the N30LE affected the output performance. So far, with my limited time with the r8ii, and just these monitors available to me, the Turbo Boost has been barely noticeable. I appreciate any enlightenment you can provide.

P.S. I updated the r8ii to the latest firmware as soon as I opened it and I notice the same Turbo Boost performance no matter what filter options I choose.
Turbo mode will definitely come in handy when driving demanding and highy resolving iems etc Fatfreq, UM Mest, Xenns Up you definitely can hear even more improved dynamics and bunch in the bass at least to my ears.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #455 of 508
Turbo mode will definitely come in handy when driving demanding and highy resolving iems etc Fatfreq, UM Mest, Xenns Up you definitely can hear even more improved dynamics and bunch in the bass at least to my ears.
Understood. Does that mean you shouldn’t hear much improvement at all when driving IEMs that do not require a lot of power? This is why I asked about what is happening mechanically when the boost is engaged because we only observe the slightest change (using my limited stock of monitors on hand) and we spend our days nitpicking over audio edits and frequency balance so we are predisposed to observing changes in audio presentation.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #456 of 508
Understood. Does that mean you shouldn’t hear much improvement at all when driving IEMs that do not require a lot of power? This is why I asked about what is happening mechanically when the boost is engaged because we only observe the slightest change (using my limited stock of monitors on hand) and we spend our days nitpicking over audio edits and frequency balance so we are predisposed to observing changes in audio presentation.

I remember asking Hiby about it and they said it improves hard to drive iem, headphones, in terms of performance and it’s not related to the gain. I’d say try using iems with dynamic and multiple drivers also resolving like Mest2, Gaea and you should feel the difference. I’m also comparing its performance to my Hiby R6 pro ii.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #457 of 508

I believe r8ii design is like this. my rs8 turbo is as big difference as n8ii p+. so that's not ur iems problems

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #458 of 508
I can confirm that the R8II sounds rather similar to the WM1A Gen 1. Slightly mid-forward, sweet and deft sound. Really black background.
I was thinking the same thing yesterday. It really does compare but with more output power from R8II.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #459 of 508
Apr 1, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #460 of 508
Versus the A&K SP3000, the R8 II is less engaging and less dynamic. A&K flagships are always good when it comes to dynamism, so considering the price difference and usual A&K sound, this isn’t big news. The sound stage of the R8 II isn’t as expansive either, but as I mentioned above, its sole resolution and transparency are not behind at all. So with this price tag, HiBy deserves some praise for making a very competitive DAP indeed.

https://www.headfonia.com/hiby-r8-ii-review/3/
Funny how we hear things differently. I experience the exact opposite. 😅

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #462 of 508
Someone, hopefully Dignis, has got to come up with a proper case for this thing.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #463 of 508
Has anyone compared or come upon comparisons of the R8 II the A&K SE300 and DX320? I know they are different sound signatures but the direct comparison is usually very informative regarding each. The R8 II seems to sit in between the other two at least from the few things I read.

I am picking a new DAP between: DX320 - R8 II - A&K SE300 - any thoughts and advice are super appreciated!

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #464 of 508
Has anyone compared or come upon comparisons of the R8 II the A&K SE300 and DX320? I know they are different sound signatures but the direct comparison is usually very informative regarding each. The R8 II seems to sit in between the other two at least from the few things I read.

I am picking a new DAP between: DX320 - R8 II - A&K SE300 - any thoughts and advice are super appreciated!
Tried the DX320 back when i used to main the FiiO M15. It was better than the fiio, but heated up too much and has some restriction on CPU power. I discarded it because of the double battery issue too, since it meant i'd have had to change amps and also pay attention to two different batteries. And because of uneven recharge/discharge not difficult to see the issue of having to change two batteries.
The R8 II is much more straightforward, plenty of power, heats up waaaaaay less, and has screws holding the backplate so it can be much more handily serviced. And has Open android release you can put any app inside it.
The A&K is closed android, so for me an automatic dealbreaker.

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #465 of 508
Tried the DX320 back when i used to main the FiiO M15. It was better than the fiio, but heated up too much and has some restriction on CPU power. I discarded it because of the double battery issue too, since it meant i'd have had to change amps and also pay attention to two different batteries. And because of uneven recharge/discharge not difficult to see the issue of having to change two batteries.
The R8 II is much more straightforward, plenty of power, heats up waaaaaay less, and has screws holding the backplate so it can be much more handily serviced. And has Open android release you can put any app inside it.
The A&K is closed android, so for me an automatic dealbreaker.
Thanks all important and useful considerations.

Actually super important as the double batteries 🔋 issue is something I didn't pay attention to but clearly a deal breaker at this price.

Closed Android is not so much an issue for me as I need a player, Tidal, Spotify and a radio. But the SE300 is quite expensive for a dap with a selling point being r2r "signature" (meaning pleasant sounding imperfections). I have the HiBy FC6 to play with r2r for cheap, of course it's not the same as A&K but both are not reference transparent anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back