HiBy R8 II - HiBy's New High-End DAP
Apr 17, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #481 of 508
Have you updated it with the new firmware ?
There is a new update you should install that maybe it will fix your issue because I’m not facing what you just described.
I’m running the latest firmware and still getting the same issue. The song will show its playing and timeline is progressing but there is no output. This happens in a couple different scenarios such as when I close Tidal or Spotify and re-launch either and then hit play or for example I’ve gone from Tidal to Spotify in quick succession or vice versa. The only way to get output is to restart the device and this always fixes the issue.

I guess it’s similar in the way Spotify and Tidal let you play on a different device and you use a secondary device as a remote control - you can control what’s playing on the secondary device but it’s only playing on your primary device. This issue is different though because I’m only using the R8 II and no other device. I use the above example to illustrate only the way this particular bug behaves. It’s showing the track is playing and timeline is progressing but no output.

I don’t fully understand the mechanism but it happens when I exit Spotify or Tidal and then after a few seconds I can hear the amp disengage using sensitive iems. After which, if I want to reopen either of these apps I’m not getting output despite showing track is playing.

Hiby have advised wiping the device and starting again which is a ball ache and failing that, sending it back for repair.

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #482 of 508
Sorry to hear that, I haven’t experienced that with either of my daps the R8ii or R6 pro ii but you did great by contacting Hiby I woulda done the same.

I only use Apple Music so I don’t know if using Tidal or Spotify will produce this issue.

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #483 of 508
I’m running the latest firmware and still getting the same issue. The song will show its playing and timeline is progressing but there is no output. This happens in a couple different scenarios such as when I close Tidal or Spotify and re-launch either and then hit play or for example I’ve gone from Tidal to Spotify in quick succession or vice versa. The only way to get output is to restart the device and this always fixes the issue.

I guess it’s similar in the way Spotify and Tidal let you play on a different device and you use a secondary device as a remote control - you can control what’s playing on the secondary device but it’s only playing on your primary device. This issue is different though because I’m only using the R8 II and no other device. I use the above example to illustrate only the way this particular bug behaves. It’s showing the track is playing and timeline is progressing but no output.

I don’t fully understand the mechanism but it happens when I exit Spotify or Tidal and then after a few seconds I can hear the amp disengage using sensitive iems. After which, if I want to reopen either of these apps I’m not getting output despite showing track is playing.

Hiby have advised wiping the device and starting again which is a ball ache and failing that, sending it back for repair.
I actually started experiencing this issue with my Hiby R6 pro ii using Apple Music, and it’s fixed by unplugging the cable and plugging it again the sound will come back. It happens when I stop the music, and hit play again the sound won’t come back.

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #484 of 508
I’ve just started using the Hiby music player. There’s a lot I like about it like all the extra information it provides about the track but one fatal flaw is that there’s no slide scroller so I have to manually scroll up on playlists. My main liked playlist is a couple thousand tracks so getting to where I want is a long process. There’s no way to custom order the tracks to date added either and there’s no way to search a particular artist or track within a playlist.

It might be placebo but I feel like the Hiby music player sounds a bit more refined than listening from the Tidal app. Anyone have the same experience?

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #485 of 508
I’ve just started using the Hiby music player. There’s a lot I like about it like all the extra information it provides about the track but one fatal flaw is that there’s no slide scroller so I have to manually scroll up on playlists. My main liked playlist is a couple thousand tracks so getting to where I want is a long process. There’s no way to custom order the tracks to date added either and there’s no way to search a particular artist or track within a playlist.

It might be placebo but I feel like the Hiby music player sounds a bit more refined than listening from the Tidal app. Anyone have the same experience?
I can only speak on Apple Music and I think the music sounds really good replay as Apple offers Lossless and Hi-res lossless never tried Hiby Music but I always wondered how the quality of the sound will vary.

Apr 20, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #486 of 508

I feel the same for the Hiby music player

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #488 of 508

The Hiby app doesn't play Tidal gapless on my phone so that means it's broken.

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #489 of 508
Just wanted to let you guys know my playback issues are entirely related to the 0th order hold NOS filter. This is one buggy filter, it’s also my preferred one… if I switch to Darwin Default playback resumes immediately. When the problem occurs some FLAC files on Tidal won’t allow playback using 0th order and even sometimes on Spotify but if I restart the device it’s fine and it will play but if I try and resume playback after several hours it’s problematic again. Not really sure what’s going on but at least I know now I can switch to Darwin Default.

Any insights into why 0th order is so problematic?

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #491 of 508
Try engaging the sound field and DRX10k Dynamics plugins and enjoy.
Does this fix the 0th order filter issues?

I prefer NOS filters because the sound is smoother. It’s my understanding that there are three NOS filters. 0th order and Darwin Ultra are two which are modelled on NOS. Does anyone know which is the third filter?

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #493 of 508
If you like smother listen try the sound field plugin as it pushes the sound in the back a little bit creating a deeper soundstage and less analytical listening experience. However, the Dynamics plugin will add huge color to sound and it will become more aggressive. Good luck.

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #494 of 508
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back