Hifiman Edition X
Nov 6, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #2,896 of 4,030
https://www.headfonia.com/review-hifiman-edition-x-v2-want-christmas/2/

The HE-1000 V2’s clamping force on the side of your head is a lot bigger than that of the Edition X V2, making it less comfortable than the new X V2. Sound wise the Edition X V2 is closer to the original HE-1000 V1 than it is to the update of that headphone. The New HE-1000 V2 is leaner sounding. The Edition X V2 (compared to the new HE-1000 V2) has bigger bodied mids and has more body overall. The HE-1000 sounds more airy and has better micro detailing and layering. It also seems to deliver the sound in a more effortless and clean way. Voices in the HE-1000 V2 are more natural and relaxed and they make the voices in the X V2 sound less natural and more forced. They’re still good though, the HE-1000 simply is a level up and that’s no shame.
thanks so much that was really helpful

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #2,897 of 4,030
I think the efficiency is either going to be a blessing or a hindrance. Some on here, especially those who already own hard to drive hp's will have to rethink the matching for the HEX. I personally think it is a blessing - being able to plug and play direct out of a DAC's hp out is cutting out a huge expensive chunk of a system. All they require is small clean gain.

I also think it's more of a blessing, unlike a lot of reviews/impressions. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the direction most headphone companies are aiming towards for the near future.

Nov 6, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #2,898 of 4,030
Positives outweigh the negatives, in my opinion- great for wide range of music. I compared them to the Elear, ether, hd-800s, Oppo PM-1 and I just preferred the Hex2. I am using the Mojo for around the house. But even a dragonfly black with cck sounds great.

Seems like the negatives aren't that big of a deal to someone like me, especially now that I'm seeing more and more praise for the build quality. That was my biggest fear. Hopefully I didn't jinks myself.

I also think that I'll be pleasantly surprised with their low end response. That's another fear I have, especially after a few years enjoying what the JH16's offered here with 4 dedicated drivers just for the lows.

What kind of improvements do you see with their low end response when plugging into your mojo and dragon fly?

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #2,900 of 4,030
Quick question: The outer grill of the Edition X looks very open and there doesn't appear to be much stopping dust getting into the drivers - is that an issue?
So far it hasn't changed the sound at all. Right behind the grill is a piece of meshed plasticy cloth that keeps most of the dust from gaining into contact with the driver.
As seen on this picture:
20160923040442_16616.jpg

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #2,906 of 4,030
New Mrspeakers AEON FLOW open-back gonna blow HEX/HEK easy :-D And the price is on point.

Hmm I would think very different headphones... I heard soundstage on the Aeon open is pretty mediocre and comparable to the closed variant... That said I did just pick up a pair of Aeon Opens after I sold my closed, yet I've always been interested in the Hex

Nov 8, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2,907 of 4,030
Nah. I've demo'd the Aeon Flow Opens. While they're priced very fairly and perform very decently, the soundstage is much smaller in the AFOs. Though the tuning was quite similar to my ears, the HEX was a more laid back expansive experience due to the soft character and large soundstage, whereas the AFO was a more upfront intimate experience. Different strokes for different folks; the HEX did much better in orchestral for instance.

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #2,909 of 4,030
Nah. I've demo'd the Aeon Flow Opens. While they're priced very fairly and perform very decently, the soundstage is much smaller in the AFOs. Though the tuning was quite similar to my ears, the HEX was a more laid back expansive experience due to the soft character and large soundstage, whereas the AFO was a more upfront intimate experience. Different strokes for different folks; the HEX did much better in orchestral for instance.

Which do you prefer? Hows the bass on the two?

Nov 9, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #2,910 of 4,030
Would the Oppo PM-3's compliment the HEX v2?

I'm considering returning my 1more Quad Drivers because of comfort and peaky treble concerns. In general, I think I need a break from the world of IEMs. So now I'm contemplating PM-3's as my portable headset as well as for those times when I can't leak noise like in bed while my wife is sleeping or in close proximity to my sleeping baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back