Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 14, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #7,816 of 14,685
Why not try the cable company. They do free loaners if I'm not mistaken

I get the impression that there is a 5% deposit charge (that is non-refundable) when using Cable Company's headphone and cable loaner service - if you decide not to purchase the loaner item. Also, they do not list the Moon Silver Dragon or Norne Zoetic cables among their headphone cable loaner offers.

Jeff.

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #7,817 of 14,685
  I actually had a friend stop by a few weekends ago. I wanted him to try out an amplifier, and wanted him to hear it on my HE-1000, now with aftermarket cables. He stopped me cold, when he suggested he wanted to try the original cable first. Why? He had never in his life heard an audible change due to cables. So I went back into a drawer, pulled out the original cable, and let him hear it. Then I switched back to my aftermarket cables. Even standing nearby, I could hear the difference between the two cables. And he heard it too...

Hold on a second, please let me get this straight.  Your belief is that - without actually having the headphones on your head - you could hear an audible difference between the stock and aftermarket cable?  From several feet away?  

The only thing I can think is that your stock cable is actually broken, because I cannot believe that there is any other possible way that this situation could exist.

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #7,818 of 14,685
  Hold on a second, please let me get this straight.  Your belief is that - without actually having the headphones on your head - you could hear an audible difference between the stock and aftermarket cable?  From several feet away?  

The only thing I can think is that your stock cable is actually broken, because I cannot believe that there is any other possible way that this situation could exist.

Perhaps...
But I could hear my friend from several rooms away. So standing next to him was almost too much volume for my hearing.

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #7,819 of 14,685
Anyone else really feel like the HEK needs a lot of volume before it actually comes alive or reaches its full potential?  I find that I'm listening at higher levels of volume on my HEK over any other pair of headphones I've owned in the past.  At low volumes, the HEK does not sound very involving or clear, and is way too mellow.  

Once it hits a certain level of loudness, everything improves: imaging, soundstage, depth, engagement factor, and most noticeably - explosive dynamics with brain rumbling bass.

Yes. Right there with you.

That's also why when using the unbalanced input, I send the signal thru a Perreaux TC2 bass/mid/treble tone control. And assuming the mix isn't midrangy, I usually have the midrange (centered in the presence region) slightly higher than the treble.

Otherwise and on a different note... on one hand I'm with rdaneel. On the other hand if someone is capable of hearing a fly's fart, who am I to say differently. -lol

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #7,820 of 14,685
To those who use Dave - do you think Dave is the final say in driving the HE1000? Anyone tried connecting it to an external headphone amp? Does it make the HE1000 sound even better?

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #7,821 of 14,685
  To those who use Dave - do you think Dave is the final say in driving the HE1000? Anyone tried connecting it to an external headphone amp? Does it make the HE1000 sound even better?

For me, DAVE with HE1000 sounds terrific with Jazz at the Pawnshop, Vivaldi Four Seasons and genres like these, but I prefer Streisand and Vivaldi Bellezza Crudel on the Nagra HD DAC with the HE1000.  For fuller orchestration, I like the DAVE to 300B based amps for either speakers or headphones.  Western Electric 300B just adds that special human warmth to the sound, missing from the best SS amps.

Paul

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #7,822 of 14,685

For me, DAVE with HE1000 sounds terrific with Jazz at the Pawnshop, Vivaldi Four Seasons and genres like these, but I prefer Streisand and Vivaldi Bellezza Crudel on the Nagra HD DAC with the HE1000.  For fuller orchestration, I like the DAVE to 300B based amps for either speakers or headphones.  Western Electric 300B just adds that special human warmth to the sound, missing from the best SS amps.

Paul

Do you actually use vintage WE 300Bs? Their price was quite ridiculous at one point, went for like HK$50K per NOS tube. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #7,823 of 14,685

Do you actually use vintage WE 300Bs? Their price was quite ridiculous at one point, went for like HK$50K per NOS tube. 

I have some from the 1950s and 1960s.  The reissues in the 1990s are pretty much the same design but somehow sounds different.
HK 50K for a good shape NOS vintage WE triode isn't that crazy.  I have seen people pay half a million HKD for the Sennheiser Orpheus.  Neither is worth that much.

The <$400 Genalec 300B sounds darn good and the $2000 Takatsuki 300B is almost as airy and buttery smooth as a 50s WE 300B.  Bass wise, the WE can't be beat.

paul

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #7,824 of 14,685

I have some from the 1950s and 1960s.  The reissues in the 1990s are pretty much the same design but somehow sounds different.
HK 50K for a good shape NOS vintage WE triode isn't that crazy.  I have seen people pay half a million HKD for the Sennheiser Orpheus.  Neither is worth that much.

The <$400 Genalec 300B sounds darn good and the $2000 Takatsuki 300B is almost as airy and buttery smooth as a 50s WE 300B.  Bass wise, the WE can't be beat.

paul

Nice. The price of 300B went up a lot because of Mainland China corrupt officials, but it has gone down a lot since Xi Jin Ping took reign.

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #7,825 of 14,685
I just purchased a pair of HE-1000s from Adorama while they had the $2099 deal available.  They arrived, but unfortunately had a dead left driver (despite no physical evidence of damage to the box or headphones).  I tried both balanced and unbalanced cables, and multiple amps.  So much for Quality Control.

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #7,826 of 14,685
  I just purchased a pair of HE-1000s from Adorama while they had the $2099 deal available.  They arrived, but unfortunately had a dead left driver (despite no physical evidence of damage to the box or headphones).  I tried both balanced and unbalanced cables, and multiple amps.  So much for Quality Control.

Have you contacted Hifiman about repairs?  If you are lucky, they swap yours with a new one.
The most likely case was that the unit you bought at $2099 was not new, either a demo or return.
May not be straight from the manufacturer.

good luck.

paul

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #7,828 of 14,685

Have you contacted Hifiman about repairs?  If you are lucky, they swap yours with a new one.
The most likely case was that the unit you bought at $2099 was not new, either a demo or return.
May not be straight from the manufacturer.

good luck.

paul

They definitely came from the factory, not a return/rebox from the retailer.  The Adorama box contained a sealed factory box from HiFiMan.  

I'm returning to Adorama who will be shipping me a new pair.

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #7,829 of 14,685
  They definitely came from the factory, not a return/rebox from the retailer.  The Adorama box contained a sealed factory box from HiFiMan.  

I'm returning to Adorama who will be shipping me a new pair.

That sounds great.  Good luck on the new one.

paul

Jul 16, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #7,830 of 14,685
I have noted that a number of forum members have replaced their stock cable with a Moon Silver Dragon cable, but I have not seen any detailed descriptions of their advantage. One forum member stated that snare drums sounded better, but that's all he claimed. What further advantages have you found using the Moon Silver Dragon cable?

I also noted that Norne has many types of headphone cable. How does one rationally choose among them? Why have some forum members chosen the Zoetic series rather than other alternatives?

Has anyone compared the Norne cables to the Moon Silver Dragon cable?

Jeff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back