HiFiMAN RE-00 Earphone Review by mark2410
Dec 25, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #166 of 181
Thanks for the advice. Haven't used my massdrop account for so long because it's based in the states and the resultant customs charges. But I can see how stupid I've been missing this. I agree 100% with mark2410 on these. I'm reviewing them for earphonia.com. I can't believe how good they sound for the money! Why are we paying £500 more for marginal improvements on iems of this quality? I have been Lent the rhapsodio clipper. If people like bass and can sacrifice some of the upper extension of the re00 , these are a pocket money price too

yep.  tbh when my pair came they sat for almost two weeks because i thought oh at that price they must be like the ancient RE-2, they must just be playing on the name of the RE-0, i mean they cannot possibly be near as good as the RE-0...... then i listened, slack jawed going oh my god!!!!!!

Tbh i ouwld bet that there cant possibly many more drops going to come in at $35 because that price is insane and sooooooooooo good its suspiciously good.  i wouldnt blame anyone for not believing me because till i herd them i was suspicious too.  stupidly stupidly cheap awesomness

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #167 of 181
Got my re00 yesterday for Xmas. Early impressions are pretty good, but still need to burn in.
Put on a pair of inairs2 foam tips and get a really good seal. My only gripe with them so far is the texture of the housing, it's like having a cheese grater in your Ear!

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #168 of 181
Dec 26, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #170 of 181
  They are up on massdrop again on the "best of 2016" list.

really cant say im surprised.  though im a little surprised they are still going for that price, i mean their RRP is showing as US$80 and even at that price their audio quality is still untouchable

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #171 of 181
Not had much chance to listen to mine yet; probably about 10 hours. Has anyone noticed much difference from burn in after 10+ hours?
Anybody know what material is used for the drivers? At times, to my ears, there is a slight metallic tinge to the sound.

Edit: btw swapped the tips for comply tsx - these are the spherical ones. Don't need to insert so deep now, so cheese grater effect is reduced.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #172 of 181
I would say that at first these were very mid vocal sounding. After about 80 hrs of use, they are much more balanced sounding across the spectrum. And that's in comparison to other items that I own, so it's not just me getting used to its initial sound signature. I say they rival other phones that I have that are much more expensive as far as pure enjoyment goes. I'm not going to get into any analytical discussion about these, but I like them better than some other phones that one might consider "better".
Not had much chance to listen to mine yet; probably about 10 hours. Has anyone noticed much difference from burn in after 10+ hours?
Anybody know what material is used for the drivers? At times, to my ears, there is a slight metallic tinge to the sound.

Edit: btw swapped the tips for comply tsx - these are the spherical ones. Don't need to insert so deep now, so cheese grater effect is reduced.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #173 of 181
Thanks. In the past I've tended to burn in whilst listening, however saying that I don't have the money for rolling large quantities of gear, so don't have much experience compared to others. I have found though that the first ten hours tend to give the most 

I do believe in burn in, my view is it is like breaking in a new pair of leather shoes. They're not particularly flexible to movement to start with, but can improve significantly in the first few days and then subtly improve for a while after that. 

I don't believe that signatures change massively, but that everything tightens up i.e. the improved flexibility of the driver means that notes can start and stop more precisely. To me it is most noticeable on bass which can sound flabby straight out of the box, but settle in nicely quite quickly. I suppose some might perceive this as the signature flattening out a bit. 

Anyway, I think that I'll put these playing in a draw for a day or two on repeat mode and come back to them, to see what I think.

Don't get me wrong, these sound absolutely stunning for the price and I like the signature, however time will tell as to whether I enjoy them as much as I respect them.

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #174 of 181
Thanks. In the past I've tended to burn in whilst listening, however saying that I don't have the money for rolling large quantities of gear, so don't have much experience compared to others. I have found though that the first ten hours tend to give the most 

I do believe in burn in, my view is it is like breaking in a new pair of leather shoes. They're not particularly flexible to movement to start with, but can improve significantly in the first few days and then subtly improve for a while after that. 

I don't believe that signatures change massively, but that everything tightens up i.e. the improved flexibility of the driver means that notes can start and stop more precisely. To me it is most noticeable on bass which can sound flabby straight out of the box, but settle in nicely quite quickly. I suppose some might perceive this as the signature flattening out a bit. 

Anyway, I think that I'll put these playing in a draw for a day or two on repeat mode and come back to them, to see what I think.

Don't get me wrong, these sound absolutely stunning for the price and I like the signature, however time will tell as to whether I enjoy them as much as I respect them.

Also, going with you leather shoes analogy, a large part is your feet getting used to them as well. Same thing applies to headphones. Mental burn in > physical burn in.

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #175 of 181
Just got my pair from Massdrop. Excellent value and have to say Mark2410 is right on the money with these, hyperbole notwithstanding (just kidding). Also, checked out a pair of KZ ZST (friend recommendation) and $20 for removable cable and soundstage! They sound fantastic too. Amazing what you can get for "pizza prices" these days, really. Will they be durable is the question? Time will tell. I am going to order another pair of the RE00s, just in case they stop making them or the price shoots up.

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #176 of 181
Also, going with you leather shoes analogy, a large part is your feet getting used to them as well. Same thing applies to headphones. Mental burn in > physical burn in.

What if the pair you hear break in aren't your main listening pair? That's some awesome mental gymnastics. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #180 of 181
Had these for a few months now and just love them, especially for the price.  Clear.  Need a bit of bass.
Wouldn't have given them a second look but for this review.  Thanks Mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back